View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 08:36 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

[QUOTE=rugbymarine;2362240]I love discussions like this. As some have alluded to, the lower you go on the technical grading scale, the more variability you get within a grade. In the low-to-mid grades, it's always interesting to see what collectors prioritize. Corners, centering, edges, back centering, color, registration, lack of staining, no creases, lack of print defects, etc. For most cards lower than a 5, or maybe a 6, something has to give and the card can only have some of those qualities (kind of obvious I guess....since if it had them all, it would be a higher grade).

For me personally, I've settled in to a sweet spot of mid grade examples for my vintage HOF. There are so many beautiful 4s, 5s, and 6s. And as other have mentioned, there are 5s that look better than 6s, and 6s that look like they could've been 8s if they were graded 20 years ago.

Ian,

The centering certainly jumps out to me but I was also impressed with the color/registration. When you get both of those qualities in a mid-grade grade that is just outstanding. Great eye Ian.