View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
It's definitely the risk of chargebacks. There are way too many shady people in this hobby, that's just a fact.

When a person charges back a transaction, the original seller will lose. It is that simple. They may have to show tracking that the item was returned, but the credit card companies ALWAYS side with the buyers. PayPal is a bit better, as their seller protection is significantly more than credit card companies offer directly.

As a merchant (in a different industry) that accepts credit cards, paypal, and is intimately acquainted with disputes and chargebacks, I do not blame these auction houses one bit for not accepting cards or paypal.

Factoring in what they have to "gain" by offering it as a payment method, and what they potentially have to "lose", it's a sound business decision.

That being said, I love how LOTG accepts paypal.
Obviously someone who has dealt with Merchant Services. Have I said recently how much I hate CC companies?

That aside, the story of not losing money on a sale by taking a credit card isn't quite correct. Simple business math says if you make less than 3% GP on a sale AND you take a credit card, you are taking money out of your pocket to pay. That would be a big fat LOSS. And in some businesses, margins can be that slim. If you don't think so just ask a C-Store owner who sells gas.....

Last year, after I sold my restaurants, two months later I got a charge back from Mastercard for almost $80. It came straight out of my bank account because they had a tie in to the account (as is very customary). My restaurants average tab was about $8.25 (cheap food). The next day I closed my bank account and opened a new one. I also had a few other small gotchas too. But after closing it and opening a new one, Since then not one MF'er has taken money out of my account. Live and learn.