View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default As things evolve....your current focus on collecting pre-war?

Posted By: Joann

My main focus is and probably always will be Detroit players. I have most of the main sets covered but still need an example from a few main sets and almost all of the rarer issues. I am starting to go sideways in a few sets - meaning buying my second, third or fourth Detroit player in that set.

However, 2008 will probably be a year of focusing almost strictly on the female image sideline I've become passionate about in the past six months or so. Between a roof and windows last fall and a trip to Alaska this summer, I'm trying to take about $14K out of cash flow (not hitting savings, nor reducing what I allocate to regular savings) over the course of 11 months or so.

The female player collecting will be better for this year, because the items tend to be cheaper - often $30 - $100 or so. Plus they don't come up that often so I can make a run at almost everything I see - maybe one or two items of interest per month. It's a great way to stay engaged, stay disciplined, and stay on budget.

I'll spend more if there is something unusual in either the female player or Detroit player category, but for now I have to stay away from the general interest in Detroit cards. There is so much out there that there's always a card to buy. Lately I don't even browse ebay b/c there is so much there to tempt.

So I'm happy to sit out the card wars for a year and divert my focus to something that I not only like a ton, but also fits perfectly with a need to adjust my spending habits (while feeding the vintage habit!).

J