View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 03:19 AM
Bill Gregory

I guess I'll throw my hat into the discussion.

I don't mean to disrespect the buyer at all, as I am sure they are happy with their purchase. But I just couldn't pull the trigger on that card. Someday I will own a '52 Topps Mantle. And it will be in the lower grade, probably no higher than a PSA 2 or so. But there are so many examples of the same card in a PSA 1-2 that have much better eye appeal. Yes, they would command more than the $3,825 it cost to acquire this card, but wouldn't it be worth it?

This PSA 1 was recently sold on eBay by PWCC for $6,600. Yes, it's a lot more than what was paid for the one being discussed. But look at the difference in appearance.

I would much rather have this one because, well, it looks like a '52 Topps Mantle. The other one was run through the wash, and I don't want a card merely to say I own it. I want a card I could enjoy, and this one, with the higher price tag, would make me happy.

I know the centering is off (sorry, Matt ), but we're talking about the king of modern cards, and everybody wants one. I'd take what I could get without going over $10,000.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.