View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Michael

Thanks for the responses, but I still don't think we've got an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I was under the impression the Jay Publishing Photos were issued between 1958 and 1962, so that could be why there are different fonts on some of the cards.
According to SCD, the photo packs were issued from 1958 to 1965. However, I think they started earlier. I have a 1957 photo pack that uses the same Mantle photo, with yearly cropping differences, from 1957 to 1960 (see 2nd picture below). I also have a 1956 photo set with a different picture and only "Yankees" and not "New York Yankees" but in the same style (see first picture below). In addition, there are sets with the same style (slightly different dimensions though), but again with only "Yankees" and not "New York Yankees" from 1961 to 1967 (see last picture below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
The fonts changed in 1962. The Arroyo and Mantle on the left are from 1961, the Arroyo and Mantle on the right are from the 1962 set. It was common for Jay's Publishing to reuse photos but with different cropping.
Yes, the font did change in 1962. But, the font on the 1961 photo is depicted in the third attached picture. It is the same font as in the earlier years. The font in the later years is depicted in the pictures on the right in the original post and in the attached 4th and 5th pictures which are from 1963 and 1964.

The font in the pictures on the left in the original post are decidedly different from the other fonts. Is this a third font? Was this used after the first font, maybe got complaints, and changed again to the other more common font? If this is the case, it should appear in other team sets other than the Yankees, but only in the 1962 sets.

So I was just curious if any other Jay set collectors, whether they be Yankees or another team, have photos with that font. I'm also curious as to the year of the set if it does have the different font.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 Jay Regular Team Set.jpg (69.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1957 Picture Portfolio.jpg (71.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1961 Jay Regular Team Set.jpg (68.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1963 Jay Regular Team Set.jpg (70.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1964 Jay Regular Team Set.jpg (65.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1961 Team Issue Set.jpg (74.9 KB, 219 views)