Thread: Goldin
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 01:47 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
There is something more visceral with regard to the civil rights movement however. While the 13th amendment ended the practice of slavery, the fact that 80+ years later Jackie Robinson's introduction to professional whites only baseball was such a major event speaks to the efficacy of the 13th amendment in terms of actual civil rights in practice. These two contracts played an enormous part in pushing forward civil rights in America. They are also tied to and signed by a beloved figure in recent American history. I don't know that they will go for $10 mil. I think there is a good chance that they will if the right people know about the auction.

Tom C
I understand all of that, but you statement at the end expressing your potential doubt of the estimate is what I am talking about. These could go for 3x the 13 amendment and still not break the 10mil mark.

This is merely a thought provoking conversation as the answer will be known soon enough and we, potentially ,will have a new precedent for what an historical document could sell for.