View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Reminds me of when I was in high school and my mom would drive my friend and I up to Baltimore to get autographs. Frank Robinson was notorious for never signing, and turned me down more times than I could count. Finally my mom said "give me that card", went up to Robby and he signed for her no problem. For whatever reason he would sign for her every time she asked. She was like 3-for-3 with him, and he'd consistently turn down everyone else.
back in the 80's when I worked in a card shop, the owner and I became friends with O's pitcher Mike Boddicker. One time he asked us to pick him up at the airport since he skipped the team plane from Boston to go home for a day. He asked us if we had room for a couple other guys...thankfully we had a minivan..and out walked Cal Ripken, Jr and Frank Robinson. The stories of Dempsey stealing everyones stuff to give to friends and family was priceless. I think I was too star struck to ask Frank Robby to sign the O's yearbook I was working on, but once he check in and came down from his room to go to the park I asked him...and he said NO!! We should have took the "scenic route" through Detroit and asked him then Mike Boddicker ended up taking it for a couple days and got me Frank and the always elusive Alan Wiggins.

Your mom was lucky..I was a hotel troll, but never managed to get Frank to sign.