View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Default "football sucks"

Posted By: John S

Now this is what I was looking for:

"Football is dominated in high school by the big and dumb. If you were one of these guys in high school, maybe you still like football."

I have kept in touch with most of the guys that I graduated with that were on the football team. Amongst the fourteen seniors at least have were members of the NHS (including the president). Ten of us completed college and many have earned advanced degrees. My best friend was our center and captain in high school, attended Columbia where he was probably the smallest starting DT in the IVY League at 6' and 235 lbs. He was also the captain at Columbia his senior year. I played halfback/tailback at 5'9" and 170lbs and the other guys in the backfield were similar size. My high school averaged graduating classes of around 250 which for Ohio athletics is a medium sized school.

Some people have obviously had negative experiences with football players in high school. The movies and television only serve to reinforce the negative image expressed in the quote above and do a tremendous disservice to the game. For me, football was a big part of my character development. It taught me the importance of being a team player, to push myself beyond limitations, and the need for preparation and focus.

Baseball is a great sport as well, don't get me wrong; I love both games. As far as vintage collectibles go, baseball has much more to offer and the history is better documented. However, I have noticed a swing in the last five years. Collecting vintage football is not as inexpensive as it once was.

So if you are hating yourself for having the N162 Beecher because you cannot stand football, please send it to me and I will give it a happy home. Excuse me, I have take a break to smash a beer can on my forehead.