View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default Would you be offended?

Posted By: Mark

Wow.... those last few posts really demonstrate what a thoughtful, rational and intelligent forum this is. Being of Jewish heritage (father's side) I personally do not see much harm in the sale of these items. I feel that they are of great historical significance, and are a fascinating reminder of what might have been.... a Global "wrong turn" that came so close to happening a relatively short time ago.

What is more disturbing to me is the increasing number of educated people I hear trying to downplay the holocaust, or flat out deny it ever happened...

Nazi-related collectibles certainly aren't for everyone, but they are somewhat intriguing. Owning/displaying them does not endorse Naziism any more than owning a Darktown Battery Bank endorses racism. Does anyone truly think that collectors of Negro League memorabilia believe that black players should still be playing in a separate league? No... these collectibles are interesting remnants of a darker time, which serve to demonstrate how cultures evolve and people become more refined.

That said... I think most could see how a Darktown Battery Bank has a place in a Baseball Auction. How a Nazi Helmet would have fit into Leon/Scott's auction seems a much bigger stretch. I agree that this particular piece is better suited to a Military or Historic/Political event.