View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
I thought I would let the members who were interested in this post know that I just got off the phone with Joe O. and he gave me an explanation as to how the bend occurred and why it was fixed.

He told me how the bend more than likely happened and told me how rare this actually occurs. He was really cool about the whole thing and like many of you guys assumed said that it was probably caused by the "booming" process (human error) when they sonically seal the card. Human error was to blame and he said PSA grades anywhere from 120k-150k cards a month, so sometimes mistakes do occur.

He said most of the time the mistakes during the sealing process lead to a noticeably crimped card where PSA will then buy back the card from the original submitter, but that this specific bend was different. The only reason they were able to push the paper back down was because there was no break in the paper, therefor no bend was left in the paper when it was pressed back down.

He was irritated that the eBay seller wouldn't take the card back, and asked me for his contact info as well, because he said a reputable seller would have known to take the card back and then deal directly with PSA.

To wrap it up... he said PSA would buy the card back or let me keep it as an 8. I told him I would take it back since they stood behind the grade but he said that at anytime in the future if I wasn't comfortable with it that they would buy it back.

For me, at least, they provided a reasonable explanation and I'm not concerned that this happens on a frequent basis. Thanks to Bob for providing me contact info. Jackie was extremely nice and professional to deal with.
That is all very well, and I do understand that things happen, but if I were to submit a card like that, there is no way it would receive an 8, that I am aware of?

I am sure, if you disclose this info when you decide to sell, you won't receive "8" prices, but if you are OK with that or have no plans to sell, then, like you did, just keep the card.