View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 10:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I know relocations are messy and have many factors. But I also disagree with every state and municipality funding essentially private arenas. The deal for the new A's stadium includes tax free advantages for the A's. So what do the tax payers get for giving away $300 mil in tax money? Zilch. It's a free money giveaway to billionaire families. After the tax holiday ends, and the stadium needs upgrades, who has to pay? Tax payers. Further, when the A's owner was asked by politicians how many of his of the jobs he was creating would be full-time he had to admit most jobs would be seasonal.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
No doubt, Its interesting to watch arrogant millionaires and arrogant city officials interact.
The current deal that the City came up with to pay for the infrastructure which, lets face it, is a City's job and the owner pays for the Stadium is a fair deal. If the City was proactive and offered that deal to any owners prior to Fisher getting control, the A's would still be in Oakland. Fisher is the worst kind of owner and quite frankly the city deserves him.
We can argue all day long about what the taxpayer pays for, personally I think having multiple sports teams, a vibrant community free from crime, and embracing a strong middle/working class is the way to go.
Oakland has chosen to do none of those things, they have no vision on how to build a more successful community, it's unfortunate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-