Thread: Ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Point well taken Tim. It's funny to me to think what the buyer realistically assumed he would have to pay for a 9, and then how much he had to augment that figure to get the 10. It wasn't even the same ballpark.
Obviously, the buyer of the Clemente is extremely well of where it looks like he can easily spend these huge sums. (And there are board members here who also pay big numbers for prewar cards also.) FYI, here is another post from that same buyer in another thread after others were congratulating him on the Clemente purchase and having him post on the forums: Link

Copying the response:

"'a collector of my stature' lol...let me tell you something, I'm 38 years old now, but when I was a kid my dad used to schlep me to the East Coast National and I had barely any budget except what I made at my summer job! I remember looking at all these incredible high end cards at tables where the dealers knew I didnt have dough and wouldnt give me the time of day, too busy dealing with the folks who brought briefcases...

what has changed really? that kid is still inside me, i have no stature, i merely studied hard, got the best education i could, and then worked hard for a # of years in a lucrative industry.

means does not equal stature. stature comes from your passion for something and how you share that passion with others."