View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 01:50 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

One day in Spring Training in Winter Haven my friend and I were outside the Indians minor league clubhouse. We were the only two around because the big league team was away and only the minor leaguers were there. A car pulled up to the curb and an old man popped out. He walked by and asked how we were doing, then talked about what a nice day it was for baseball. It wasn't until he walked into the clubhouse that we realized it was Feller. We just didn't expect a HOFer to drive up in a Cutlass and walk around like he wasn't anything special. He came back out a few minutes later and happily signed three or four cards for each of us. We talked for another few minutes and he wished us well and drove away.

Another instance with Feller was at a AAA game where he had been brought in to sign. Standing in line about 30 people back, and realized we were standing FOREVER. When we got to the front of the line we quickly realized what was taking so long. Feller would talk about every image on every card and photo that he was signing, telling us where the picture was taken and different facts about that season or even that day. I truly believe that he remembered every single thing that happened throughout his remarkable career. He took as much time as anyone wanted, saying he was in no rush and would stay until the lights turned off if he had to in order to accommodate everyone.

Feller was a truly first class man in every sense of the word.

Last edited by dgo71; 06-13-2015 at 01:54 AM.