View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Depends on whether you're just wanting the images to show off, or use them for reprinting or other purposes that would require a better quality / hi-res image. If just showing off here, the method Andrew offered, or placing the negative on a light box and photographing. Placing a light source over the negative on a flatbed scanner could work as well, though the results were mixed the few times I've tried that (hard to get even backlighting across larger negatives).

Otherwise, there are a handful of flatbed scanner models that will handle larger negatives, though most are out of production (I believe Epson's V800 model, a slight update from the V700, may be the only mid-level flatbed scanner still in production that is capable of handling larger-than-35mm negatives and transparencies?) Depending on how many you have to scan, investing in specific hardware for the task may or may not be worth it.
I would like to create high-quality prints and frame them for my man-cave. I hate to spend $700 on a scanner when I already have two scanners, but it sounds like this is the only solution.

Is there anyone here who is capable and would be willing to create hi-res scans of glass-plate negatives, in exchange for some service I could offer? (like the deal in 'the Godfather')