View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I would like to create high-quality prints and frame them for my man-cave. I hate to spend $700 on a scanner when I already have two scanners, but it sounds like this is the only solution.

Is there anyone here who is capable and would be willing to create hi-res scans of glass-plate negatives, in exchange for some service I could offer? (like the deal in 'the Godfather')
I went to a local photo studio - the kind that does high school graduation photos. I was told that they can scan 4 x 5 negatives and turn them into high quality prints - exactly the same quality as if they had the original negative. You should be able to find someone local. I just had too many to go that route. I had an old canon scanner that worked great, but I can't get the damn thing to work right anymore.

And, if you can find someone who has a darkroom in their basement, most of the old enlargers came with a 4 x 5 negative holder. Many high schools still use film cameras in their classes and still use enlargers. You might actually contact a local high school. The only issue is you won't be able to clean up the image using photoshop, so any scratches, etc. will appear on the print.

A third, and maybe best, option is a place that does fine art printing - a place where a professional photographer would go to have large prints made. There are still photographers who shoot 4 x 5.