View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Steve 1989 Fleer glossy is a parallel according to Beckett. The entire write up except the common flaws was taken from he Beckett site.

1984 Topps football was a a big deal due the rookie craze and the fact that it had a Marino and elway rookie. I don’t think the question was what was big at the time but most noteworthy.

LOL, I thought you meant the Upper Deck... Sometimes I totally miss things.
I see Fleer glossy as more of its own set, but it's interesting Beckett thinks of it as a parallel. How do they list the Nestles, and desert storm, and for that matter the tiffany and score glossy sets? They were all issued on their own in different forms.

Maybe, I saw the question as more along the lines of what was a big deal n a year and affected the hobby at the time and after.
All the other sports lagged behind Baseball until... I don't actually recall when. I know I bought older cards from other sports for very little right into the late 80's. The Marino and Elway were key cards, but hadn't taken off yet. Same for the Gretzky rookie. I got mine in lot that came in a monster box that just happened to have the whole set from that year. I think $50 for the whole box.

Now if I could recall just when everyone suddenly got interested in cards from the other sports, that would have to be a big hobby event.