View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
It was any card issued after 1983. Not sure why that was the year he chose, I always thought that was when his mother passed away but according to the letter that was in 1966. '84 might be when he founded his charity? Anyway, Carter's policy changed a lot over the years:

1) He would ask for a $25 donation for cards 1984 and newer, but would sign anything 1983 and earlier for free, and would also sign baseballs, photos, bats, you name it, for free.

2) Around the time he became a coach in the Mets minor league system, he changed his policy. Any card, regardless of year issued, was a $25 donation. He still signed all other items for free.

3) And I might have this out of order, but when he got into the HOF, it was still all cards for $25, but HOF plaque postcards were $50, and everything else was free.

4) When he was named manager of Long Island in the Atlantic League, he began charging the $25 donation for any MLB-related item. He'd sign Atlantic League stuff (programs, balls, etc.) for free, but anything from his MLB days needed a donation.

One thing that remained constant throughout all these policy changes...The Kid was a class act. He was a genuinely kind person who enjoyed his fans and talking baseball. I will never forget when he came through town as a rover for the Mets (I live near Norfolk where their AAA team played for years) and after signing for everyone there, Carter stuck around for at least a half an hour talking baseball with us. This was at almost midnight, and he was as cordial as could be. Great memory of a super player and even better person. RIP Kid.
Good info, Derek. I remember that he was giving out business cards to anyone who presented the 1984 T that had the charity info. But this was in 1984, so.... I wish I had kept that card! Anyone have one to post?