View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Default Trading in the shiny stuff to fund your post war addiction

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Thanks for the quick response and good suggestion.

I'm aware that many eBayers go the drop shippment route, and it may be very profitable, but I would like to keep it baseball related. I don't want to make a fortune on eBay, just make some extra money to build to my collection. I always hope to be a collecter at heart.

The real joy for me in collecting vintage cards is that it connects me with the past. I have a near set of 1961 Topps, for example, and everytime I pull out the binder and look at the cards I feel like I'm back in 1961 as a small boy listening to the radio with my dad rooting for Mickey Mantle or Rocky Colivito to hit another homer.

I love the T206s because of the artwork and their availability (of course I'm talking about collecting the set without the big four). The only thing stopping me from buying the lot is money--the cards are out there. I wish I could just whip out the checkbook and buy the cards, but on a teacher's income I need to buy and sell to make it all work.

By the way, 60% of my T-collection I've purchased from board members, and not eBay. I like to think that I've made some good connections on the board and have been a good customer. I know that if I had the funds there are several cards that I would like to buy right now that are listed on the BST. So, if anyone has some strategies that they would like to share on building inventory by selling on eBay it may help everyone, because I'll be spending the profits right here.

Thanks for your help,

Joe