View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default UV Protection...Cubes & Inks & Gloves

Spraying with Krylon would be a very bad option to deter both A & B UV rays. The possibility of a minute or large chemical reaction between spray components and ink components certainly exists. BCW offers ball cubes with a selection of UV stabilizers incl. longevity expectancy. Teaming up a quality ball cube and a display case with conservation glass that has added protection of owner applied UV film and then kept out of direct sunlight is a very workable approach to protecting a precious and fragile collectable. I do not believe that A & B rays turn corners. I think they only travel in straight lines and do not "Ricochet" around a room. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this. Sakura Micron pens (Under $6.00) offer 100 yr. archival ink in a variety of colors and roller ball diameters. Microns are very well reviewed by players using them on baseballs. I recently inquired of a plastics engineer about the difficulty and cost of adding both UV stabilizers and clarifying agents specifically in the manufacturing process of slabs. The response was that there would be no added difficulty and few pennies per unit of expense. The grading companies have been dragging their feet and offering very weak excuses regarding not including this protection. Conservator gloves cost little more than a dollar each and are made of the highest quality cotton and are a must in handling baseballs. They are available at many retailers on the internet.