View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't really believe that anyone can make a qualitative statement about what cards will be the best investment. It is all relative: how cheap you get in is probably the best predictor of how you make out, regardless of what cards are involved. One of the best deals I ever made was for two shoeboxes of 1950s-1960s cards. The condition was all over the place but mostly vg-ex, but I got in at such a nice price point that it was a great deal.

Collecting history is filled with stories of people who've thought they could predict what would be worth what in a decade and who've gotten it wrong. Look at postwar mainstream higher condition graded commons (6-7-8). I remember some rather vocal members here with a fortune in PSA postwar mainstream card sets. Whoops... Try selling a PSA 8 1950s non-high-# Joe Shlabotnick and you will see; if you bought it 12-15 years ago at market then you often can't even get your purchase price back. If you send common cards from that era in raw for grading, you pretty much have to pull a 9 or 10 to make any real money. The 8s are a break-even proposition and you will often lose money on the 6s and 7s that were a decent selling item a decade ago.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.