Thread: Aaron Judge
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
My point was that Cobb also has a ton of cards issued of him at the same time in various sets, just as Judge does. I pointed out that Cobb has about 20 different cards in any three year stretch from 1909 to 1912, many of which are the same card put out by a different manufacturer. I was making a connection between how cards were issued in the past and how they continue to be issued the same way today.
Agreed. Look at how many cards Mantle had. Ruth wasn't too shabby either in that department; I remember first learning of all his Goudeys, then the M101. Then the Oxford. The Frederick Foto. The Boston Store. Collins McCarthy. The different Caramels. Baltimore News. Strip cards. Headin' Home cards...

I got dizzy, yet then waded in, learned about the issues, decided what I liked and why, over time appreciating ones I slept on, and it's all good. So I don't look at a player having a plethora of issues as a pejorative thing. No one is forcing us to buy them all. As you said, the company can print what they want, yet the collectors ultimately set the demand.

Would I as one random collector prefer the streamlined era when there was one 1975 Brett from Topps and that was it? Personally, yeah, I am a minimalist by nature and abhor clutter. That said, I also like to collect/complete checklists, so that aspect of the modern landscape appeals to me and is fun.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.