Thread: April Pick-Ups
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Stephen,

Man, I love the Brooksie autograph run you got there. Really looks nice in the SGC holders. My opinion would be to start a thread on the autograph run and put each year in there individually so I, I mean we, can view up close and personal. I started several months ago on a Brooks autograph run, with his regular issue cards, that I’m slowly putting together. The difference is that I’m trying to do all in pen. Thought once I got them all in pen I’d then go for a sharpie run like the one you pictured. Think it will be a fun side project!

Can I ask why a Brooks Robinson run?
Mark - I agree the SGC holders make a world of difference. I'll be getting a display case for them at some point. I can do individual pics of them. To be honest I bought on a budget so while some of them are nice clean cards some of them are a mess (67/72 comes to mind).

Reason for the Brooks run. A couple of reasons. I am a HOF/Autograph junky. I go to Cooperstown every year during induction weekend and can't get enough of it. I have a signed baseball collection approaching around 100 unique single signed HOF balls. I am struggling with the concept of paying some of the recent guys $100 to $200 and I don't need duplicate baseballs. So I have started getting RC's signed. But mainly the Brooks run is for a few reasons

1 - Card Affordability - besides 57/67 his cards are very affordable.
2 - Years he played - I really love all the Topps sets especially from 52 to the mid 70's and he is in almost all of them. So I get to see all the 60's together etc.
3 - TTM - he does TTM and money goes to charity. Win/win for everyone. If I had to pay $70/card - I would get his RC signed and that would be it.

He's also one of my favorites for some reason. I like guys who get a lot of props for their defense but also put up nice offensive numbers (Brooks/Bench etc). Something about being HOF caliber both offensively and defensively makes those guys intriguing to me.