View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I'm quite new to collecting autographs, but when I collect I like to define a focus of my collection, a goal, or a topic if you will. I also think it's cool to hear about the focus or topic of other collectors collections as well, so please feel free to share! Or perhaps you don't have a focus and you're just all over the place.

As for my focus I'm working towards autographed balls of HOF pitchers. I thought, what better way to assemble a collection of HOF pitcher autographs than on the tool they used to ply their trade with.

My goal is to obtain an autographed ball from each league commission the player played under. So for example, with Warren Spahn I will eventually like to collect a National League ball signed by Spahn with Commissioner Ford C. Frick and another with Commissioner Warren C. Giles
Those vintage baseballs with HOFers like Spahn are not that easy to find.
Of the later era HOFers I have seen or found a number of Jackie Robinson signed baseballs (most but certainly not all have been good, IMO) but no HOFer with near the number of baseballs signed by Jackie. I think in all my years in this business I have found one vintage Duke Snider ball for example.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.