NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Default SGC has stopped putting Babe Ruth's name on the 1929 Churchman

FYI in case you were thinking about sending your Churchman's Ruth to SGC. They're now obeying PSA's orders and are no longer putting his name on the flip.

I attempted to upload a picture, but the image settings here are not user friendly enough to allow the jpg file downloaded from SGC or the png file as a screenshot on my phone of the image. So I guess you guys can just imagine it.
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
FYI in case you were thinking about sending your Churchman's Ruth to SGC. They're now obeying PSA's orders and are no longer putting his name on the flip.

I attempted to upload a picture, but the image settings here are not user friendly enough to allow the jpg file downloaded from SGC or the png file as a screenshot on my phone of the image. So I guess you guys can just imagine it.
Translated means you don't know how, or are too lazy, to reduce an image size to be able to be uploaded here. It's not rocket science. Even a statistician can do it.

Back to the topic, that is interesting news. I wonder what it does to their value, if anything?

Last edited by Leon; Yesterday at 04:50 PM. Reason: edited to add the defacto standard smiley
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

Here is the Churchman's Babe Ruth (and it is indeed Babe Ruth, no matter what a TPG is willing to put on a label or not, and even if the card manufacturer failed to identify him on front or back). It has been sized suitably for Net54 visual consumption. Seen in its natural, non-TPG'd habitat.

Brian (non-TPG Ruth not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg churchmansbaberuth (400x212).jpg (66.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg churchmansbaberuthback (216x400).jpg (74.8 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; Yesterday at 05:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
pete ullman

ya...this decision is pretty stupid, imho. This photo is well documented and is used atleast on a small handful of ruth issues. TPGing blows!
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Welp!

So much for SGC remaining unsullied by new ownership.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Translated means you don't know how, or are too lazy, to reduce an image size to be able to be uploaded here. It's not rocket science. Even a statistician can do it.

Back to the topic, that is interesting news. I wonder what it does to their value, if anything?
I've said this before, but I remain of the opinion that ImageMagick & Xenforo are your friends.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I know I am likely in the minority here, but I agree with PSAs position on this one.

There is no mention of Ruth anywhere, and though I am not denying it is a generic usage of a Ruth photo in the basis for the artwork, it seemed silly to label it as a Babe Ruth card, Adding “Babe Ruth shown” in parentheses may have worked but the labeling as was seemed suspect.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I know I am likely in the minority here, but I agree with PSAs position on this one.

There is no mention of Ruth anywhere, and though I am not denying it is a generic usage of a Ruth photo in the basis for the artwork, it seemed silly to label it as a Babe Ruth card, Adding “Babe Ruth shown” in parentheses may have worked but the labeling as was seemed suspect.
Is the 1929 Shonen Ruth image also suspect in your opinion?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Is the 1929 Shonen Ruth image also suspect in your opinion?
Why would it not be called a Ruth? The text on the Shonen says -

“The moment that Babe Ruth, hailed as the world home run king, swings his bat with all his might. It looks like the ball quickly flew over the fence for a home run, as the catcher and umpire look up and the Babe’s face beams with pleasure. The fans packed in the stands watch awestruck”

My issue with the Churchman is not the image, it’s that is says Ruth nowhere. It would not belong labeled as a Babe Ruth card. It would be the same as labeling any card with another player in the image as that player. It needs to be specified as the player in my mind.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; Yesterday at 11:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

I am positive that the player is Ty Cobb in both the Tom Barker and National Game cards that use this image. I think it is more than acceptable to have "(Cobb)" noted on this TPG label, and in my opinion something similar (but with Ruth's name) should be totally appropriate for the Churchman's baseball card.

Brian (not my sliding Cobb card...mine wears no plasticized sliding gear)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tombarkercobbsliding (800x498).jpg (167.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; Yesterday at 11:45 PM.