NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Casey Stengel and the 1909 Kansas City Red Sox

I recently received a postcard of the Kansas City Red Sox, featuring Casey Stengel. MLB Reference states that Stengel had 4 at bats for the Kansas City Blues in 1910. My assumption was that since he was already in Kansas City, Stengel supplemented his income by joining a semi-pro team. I was wrong about this.

This article Stengel with Aurora in 1911 describes his time playing for Aurora in 1911. It also has a gallery of photos, including one of Stengel with the KC Red Sox - while he's not wearing a sweater as he is in my photo, it's clearly the same player, and he is wearing the same jersey in both photos. This makes sense given that he only played for the team for part of one summer.

Click on the small 'gallery' image of Stengel to the left to get a larger image and the following text below the photo: "Casey Stengel with the Kansas City Red Sox, one season before he came to Aurora. Photo courtesy Baseball Hall of Fame". There is also a website run by Casey Stengel's great-nephew that includes the same photo of Stengel in his gallery of Stengel photos: Stengel with the 1909 KC Red Sox

Phil mentioned that it made more sense to him that if Stengel had played semi-pro ball, he would have done so prior to his professional career. Phil was correct. David Rudd took a look at the postcard today and felt that it is period. Later today he sent me the following article from the Kansas City Times of May 15, 1909 (Thanks, David).

The article comes from a website Stengel KC Red Sox box scores from 1909 which also features several great photos of Stengel while he played sports in high school, along with descriptions (click on the arrows at the top to navigate). Here is the text that accompanies the newspaper clippings shown above:

"In summer 1909, Charles Dillon "Dutch" Stengel played on a Kansas City baseball team that toured as far as western Kansas. Above, The Kansas City Times of May 15, 1909, notified Stengel and other players to meet at the Ninth and Main streets for a trip to Leavenworth, probably by streetcar and interurban. The game was rained out. Below: Six weeks later, the Red Sox, with Stengel listed as pitcher, beat a team in Oberlin in northwest Kansas. The report was in The Kansas City Times of June 30, 1909."

I had planned to visit Kansas City this summer and check old newspapers for evidence that Stengel had played semi-pro ball in Kansas City during 1910. I'm really glad I didn't have to do that, as I would have found nothing, and certainly would not have gone back and checked 1909.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.