NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2024, 05:19 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Default Negro League Stats included in official MLB records

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...name-land/amp/

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 05-28-2024, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought this happened quite some time ago.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:46 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Hmmm, we'll see how this affects some prices
Old 05-28-2024, 06:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Major League Baseball will officially incorporate Negro Leagues statistics into MLB's historical records on Wednesday, reports USA Today. MLB elevated the Negro Leagues to "Major League" status in 2020 and recognized the "statistics and records" of approximately 3,400 players who played in seven leagues between 1920-48. Now they are part of the official record.

…What is the difference between recognizing the stats and records and being part of the record?
Old 05-28-2024, 07:59 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootIsReal View Post
Hmmm, we'll see how this affects some prices
This won't affect anyone's prices. Cobb, Ruth or any of the all-time greats.
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
+1
It will probably increase some of the Negro League players prices.

Not so much Cobby etc....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t2052.jpg (180.2 KB, 293 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Al Jurgela

Default The last player to hit .400 in a season is no longer Ted Williams

... I think that it is Artie Wilson now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM and AW_0001.jpg (201.1 KB, 267 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Ty who? Gibson now has the highest batting average ever. I think this is ridiculous--the competition was not the same. This is just a botched attempt to atone for past injustices.
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Ty who? Gibson now has the highest batting average ever. I think this is ridiculous--the competition was not the same. This is just a botched attempt to atone for past injustices.
Given the sparsity of the stats, how could he have enough at bats to qualify?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Robert Klevens

You can see and sort all the stats here:
Batting
https://www.mlb.com/stats/batting-av...ll-time-totals

Pitching
https://www.mlb.com/stats/pitching/wins/all-time-totals
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think a bigger concern is the incompleteness of the stats. In some cases it seems to pick up only a small fraction of the games an individual played.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

The legend of Satchell Paige is full of amazing stories. I want to believe he may have been the best ever. I cherish the couple Paige cards I own ('48 Bowman & Exhibit)) It seems appropriate, based on the stories, to include him in the discussion of greatest pitcher ever.

A few years ago I tries to get a handle on Satchell's stats. Unfortunately, with whatever research I could find on the internet, I came to the conclusion that there just is extremely minimal concrete stats. There simply wasn't enough meat to be found that could justify his legendary status. So you live with the stories, accept the fact not much in the way of stats and move on.

So now, how in the world is MLB able to come up with enough detail and solid stats, comparable to actual MLB player stats, to start including all the amazing, fully worthy HOF caliber players that played in the Negro Leagues ?
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Immaculate Grid's about to get REAL interesting!
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I just think comparing Negro League stats to MLB stats is comparing apples and oranges. I don't know with 100% certainty which league was better, but I do know that they were not the same and calling the stats equivalent doesn't seem correct to me.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Chase

Quote:
I just think comparing Negro League stats to MLB stats is comparing apples and oranges. I don't know with 100% certainty which league was better, but I do know that they were not the same and calling the stats equivalent doesn't seem correct to me.
I dislike that guys who have been identified as using or most likely using PEDs are in the record books with those who did not. Also is the guy who hit .300 in the 19th century as great a hitter as the guy who hit .300 in the 21st century?
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Immaculate Grid's about to get REAL interesting!
Immaculate Grid has been counting Major Negro League Stats for the entirety of its existence, as Baseball Reference had made the integration of Negro League stats long ago.

But it gets tricky. I once chose Hank Aaron as a Negro League player and it come up as wrong, because he has no stats with any of the 7 Major Negro Leagues.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
I'm not sure about this. Let's say you had a ticket or program from Willie Mays' first hit 2 days ago. You likely had a ticket or program for the MLB game in which he got his first hit. But now a ticket or program for his first hit game would technically have to come from a Birmingham Black Barons game. If such a program or ticket exists, then that piece of memorabilia just soared in value, while perhaps the pieces from his first MLB hit game become a little less valuable. Card prices might not change much, but perhaps prices for other memorabilia might.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think prices will do much of anything. When the NL numbers were initially canonized, prices on a lot of guys spiked, Wilson among them. That cat is already out of the bag.

Oh, and a few Wilsons:

A snapshot too, taken on opening day 1949 in San Diego:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; Yesterday at 06:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
W@de

Love these Artie Wilson cards

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
Brian

Always thought no one would break Cobb's lifetime BA record....Someone (Gibson) did many years ago but we just found out.
Old Today, 04:00 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
And you think Ty Cobb's competition was the same as post-war players? lol
Old Today, 08:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
And you think Ty Cobb's competition was the same as post-war players? lol
Comparing players across eras is not the same as comparing contemporaneous leagues. Your point seems irrelevant to the one Jay raised. His point (and not commenting on its merit) would be as if MLB decided to include this year's minor league stats in determining leaders.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Today at 08:46 AM.
Old Today, 11:20 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Comparing players across eras is not the same as comparing contemporaneous leagues. Your point seems irrelevant to the one Jay raised. His point (and not commenting on its merit) would be as if MLB decided to include this year's minor league stats in determining leaders.
I posted essentially the same thing that snowman did to Jay's comments. And I have never thought of MLB stats by era being relevant but when people are opposing the stats of a group of people who were outright denied the chance to play in the MLB, not because they were not good enough but because of the color of their skin, the argument comparing eras has some merit.

There is no perfect solution to this...sorta like the ML auction debate (though some very esteemed members did not see it as a debate)...I think most who look at stats take into account the era as well as the guys who are suspected of using PEDs.

In my personal opinion, having the stats included with MLB stats does not make those players any more legit than they already were. And at least our hobby shares that view if we take the prices alone for what the NL players' cards, postcards, etc sell for.