NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-16-2024, 06:28 AM

Default What's wrong with eBay?

So there are a lot of threads that decry eBay as a platform for sellers. But as a buyer of largely postwar vintage cards, I'm am not finding many disadvantages to eBay relative to the auction houses. I don't have a pay a buyer's premium. I don't have to wait as long for auctions to begin and end.

I look at mid-1950s HOF rookies in the 5-8 grade (so desirable and relatively rare, but not super rare), and the inventory for sale on eBay actually is very similar, if not even better, than what I see for sale in the auction houses. Maybe when you start getting over $10,000 in list price the inventory thins out, but below that, it seems pretty good.

Are there buyers of that class of postwar vintage who will not buy through eBay or do not check eBay listings? If basically all the buyers with the auction houses also check and use eBay, why wouldn't a seller prefer eBay when trying to sell that inventory?

EBay seller fees seem to be similar or lower than the auction houses, and buyers aren't subject to a premium, which means that they can bid higher, in theory.

Yes, there are well documented areas where eBay is buyer-friendly, but I would have thought that those disadvantages are outweighed by the fact that the buyer should be able to bid more.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:56 AM

In general I agree with you for most items. eBay has changed a lot since the early days and I think most of the complaints center around that issue. I still buy on eBay but probably not as often
Old 09-16-2024, 08:44 AM
Ben North

I believe eBay is by FAR the best place to buy and sell. The fees once you understand them are extremely reasonable for selling. For buying they have by far the greatest variety around. I actually like the BST area on here better for many reasons but there is a very limited group of buyers/sellers so not as much variety. I have always had AHs at or near the bottom for buying or selling. It is probably unfair because I base it off my experiences with them in general and not just AHs that deal in cards.
Old 09-16-2024, 01:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There are definitely two distinct world views on this site - buyers vs. sellers.

The eBay complaints you mention usually arise from sellers due to the fees and whatnot that get changed/readjusted and make it harder or less profitable/cost effective for them to move cardboard on the site.

'Regular' buyers like me (without a big bankroll to throw around) usually complain about the museum pricing and how less and less of the vintage cards we're looking for are available these days, since there seems to be less people selling those cards due to what I mentioned above.

That's my take.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:29 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Welcome to Net54! Complaining about everything is our favorite sport.

eBay certainly isn’t perfect. It’s pretty okay most of the time, as long as stuff doesn’t go wrong with a scammy counterparty trying to jerk you around.

The authenticity guarantee program still has a lot of bugs, so lately we’ve loved to complain about that piece. That and most people around here don’t want eBay getting in their way of getting deals done by declaring that the piece doesn’t pass muster in some fashion, and therefore cancel the deal.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 09-16-2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:40 AM
J@son Per1

Huge ebay fan. The authentication program is puzzling to me though. I think they are doing it at too low a value. If the card is slabbed with one of the big 3, there's no need for authentication IMO. It's just a grand waste of cardboard resources.

Ebay should also do a much better job policing its sellers. But they have no motivation for doing so as it would only hurt their sales. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to recognize crap when he sees it. That said, there are so many sellers who are garbage human beings and should be banned.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:52 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

As a buyer The main thing the authentication program provides is that you’re getting The actual card you paid for
Used to be I would only deal with repeatable sellers with lots of positive feedback but now you can kind of take a chance on a new seller .

Last edited by Beercan collector; 09-18-2024 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Because I never get it right the first time
Old 09-18-2024, 01:11 PM
Robert J. Miller

I like ebay a lot and my id is milbroco.........yes why not plug my name......

Yes you do have to put up with the idiots like the guy who offered $5.00 on a $70.00 card. Then on the other hand, you get the guy that sends a polite message that you misspelled a players name in the title and would get better results correcting it.

I think the authentication is a great program. I never had a problem with several cards I sent out. I just wish it would include graded packs. I sold a 1979 Topps Hockey pack graded PSA 6or7 and it did not go through the program. Even though there were no problems with the sale, I would have preferred it did.

Bob
Old 09-18-2024, 06:50 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Huge ebay fan. The authentication program is puzzling to me though. I think they are doing it at too low a value. If the card is slabbed with one of the big 3, there's no need for authentication IMO. It's just a grand waste of cardboard resources.

Ebay should also do a much better job policing its sellers. But they have no motivation for doing so as it would only hurt their sales. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to recognize crap when he sees it. That said, there are so many sellers who are garbage human beings and should be banned.
I'm also a huge fan of eBay. Since I sell on there more than I buy, it's natural I would have a somewhat different perspective.

The authentication program protects both buyers and sellers. In my opinion, the program succeeds at doing this.

If a buyer wins a $250 (or more) card and the slab was tampered with or the card sent was different than the listing, the program should prevent the buyer from getting ripped off.

If a seller ships a $250 (or more) card to the authenticator program, and the card matches the listing, the seller is done. No "buyers remorse" returns, no fraudulent returns of a different item, no BS.

Yes, I'm sure some people can offer up anecdotal examples in which there was an exception to this. For the most part, though, the program is working.

As for eBay policing its user base, they could be a bit quicker at shutting down scammers. However, I think this applies to buyers and sellers. There are plenty of "garbage human beings" out there, it's not limited to just sellers. For every seller who "can't find" a card that sold for less than they wanted, there's a buyer who intentionally damages a well packaged item and claims it arrived that way. For every seller who "forgets" to mention a major flaw, there's a buyer who demands a refund because a porch pirate stole their package after it was delivered.

The Authenticity Guarantee program was put in place primarily because there were so many disputes between buyers and sellers. With the pandemic and sports card boom, there were a lot of new people in the hobby. Quite a few of them made their way over to eBay. Some percentage of them were not too ethical. The program gave eBay a way to cut down on the fraud a bit.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-18-2024, 08:00 PM
J@son Per1

I guess I have been lucky then. I’m a seller as well, (Japerlm-46). Definitely on the smaller side but I have close to 800 stars, have done thousands of transactions over the past 5 years or so since I got back into the hobby. I have never had a significantly negative experience as a buyer or a seller. Never gotten ripped off, (or ripped anyone off). Admittedly I haven’t made any 5-figure transactions but plenty of four figure ones.

Your point is taken on the authentication program. I think it would be nice as a buyer to have the option to waive this but as you said the program is designed to protect both parties.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
J0hn Collin$

As a seller, eBay fees can feel rough at times, but the exposure your items are getting there is unmatched. Most of the vintage I put on ebay will sell eventually at fixed prices or through negotiation, even when certain things I run in Facebook or other groups, etc. - does not.

As a buyer - I don't see many, if any downsides to eBay. World's largest card shop / show that is open 24-7. Multiple buying formats from BIN's to offers, to old school auctions, pick your poison. For what is usually very reasonable or sometimes no shipping fees, whatever you bought often show up on your doorstep less than a week later. What's not to love?

The authentication aspect of it for items over a certain dollar amount I will admit is a PITA, especially for the buyer - but this is the world we live in in modern times when eBay as a platform cannot trust people to send buyers what they actually bought without swapping out cards, or faking something and ultimately making them (eBay) liable. I don't like it, but I do get it. People suck sometimes.

Last edited by jchcollins; Yesterday at 08:37 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I don't like it, but I do get it. People suck sometimes.
Wait...only sometimes???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Wait...only sometimes???
I can be optimistic.