NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Not sure what I did...

Bought this off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I have been into vintage cards for about 2 years. Did I just get taken to the cleaners or not? Forget about the the cost...I buy to keep. I wanted it. The price was right for me, I just want to know why somebody would cut into a low end card like this. BTW...still have not recieved it.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Also, because of this forum...the back made the sale.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Barry Arnold

Default epdg

i read the entire description on ebay and it starts talking about the vhs or
dvd case and appears to be describing something other than your card.
kinda weird.
the epdg looks fine. the price is too high but since you're not concerned about the price, you should be fine imho.
folks take the cards out of the case quite a bit just so they can touch, smell, and have the cardboard free from the slab. Happens all the time. I'm hoping
this is the case (no pun intended) here.

best,
barry
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 PM
qu@n nguy3n

listing the card as a psa4 when it's cracked is kinda deceptive...50/50 it'd grade a 4 again with the top 2 corners.

if you're unsure if you've been taken that means you don't know/care about the back...maybe you should return the card and you can buy a raw vg example of the same card with a common back for about 1/4th the price.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Ron Rice

Default Conroy T206

It looks like a nice VG-EX with a fairly scarce back. A good looking card. So you got a reasonable deal, I'd say. Sometimes collectors crack them out of the PSA cases because they like the look of the cards raw or in plastic sheets instead of those bulky plastic cases.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Thanks and thanks for the pm's. You made it quite clear that the dealer is legit. My intent wasn't to start a smear campaign. I was just (and still) amazed by someone spending the $ to get a card (this low in value) graded only to turn around and cut it back open. I probably should not have used the "getting taken" line. I would have paid even more than I did. It is a great looking card and I need a EPDG. You know how that goes.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

It's nice looking.
Reholdering was once just five bucks. Send the card along with flip back to PSA... Go from there.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Jim R

this seller is legit. years ago we would go head to head on the tough backs on ebay-around 2002 or so-he had a killer 206 collection but appears to be selling it off.
we traded a few emails when his listings popped up last week-i would say no worries even if the card is broken out of the holder
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default DVD case

I think the seller may be use Turbolister. A few months ago if you listed certain items with Turbolister you were forced to pick from several "condition" categories that did not actually fit the listings, such as the VG - DVD jewelcase description for this auction. The newest upgrades of Turbolister have fixed this problem.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Card

Card looks fine, don't worry about it being out of slab, card appears to be that grade. I have just started to break all my low grade stuff free of slabs. I like having cards raw, I save all the SGC/PSA labels. I do this mostly with commons/lower grade where the price is compatible slabbed or raw. ..

Last edited by rp12367; 11-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default done before

I know of 1-2 people that take pictures of their cards in their slabs, with them holding them, and then they crack them out and save the flips. I have some raw cards to play with but feel better about the more expensive ones if they are in holders, for myriad reasons.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Default here too

I was closely watching that same auction, cause I've been looking for this front (the colors of the sky in the background are great) and because I don't have an EPDG back yet in my T206 collection. I ended up not bidding, just cause I've been burned on buying raw T206s on EBay in the past, and was supicious of that top left corner precluding it from getting that grade again, but was awfully tempted in this case. Can't recall what I was thinking of putting up, but figuring that PSA graded 4s for common cards typically go for $40-55, the markup for an EPDG back of 30-40% seems reasonable. And obviously, one other person on EBay thought similarly as you (minus $1). So I say congratulations, enjoy the fine card.
--S

Last edited by shaunsteig; 11-13-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
I was just (and still) amazed by someone spending the $ to get a card (this low in value) graded only to turn around and cut it back open.
This may not have been the case. The description says that the card was removed from the slab from the previous owner, but who's to say that the previous owner was the one that had the card graded? I buy graded cards all the time only with the intention of cracking them out once they arrive - especially low-mid grade stuff that really doesn't add any premium by having it graded or not. I just like to be able to handle them raw. And I always save the flips because it adds legitimacy if I ever want to sell the card again. Same thing probably happened here.

Regards,

David
Old 11-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Frank Wakefield

When looking at the image depicting the back of the card, the top edge and the top of the left side looks slightly trimmed. Without use of that forensic scan business it is always possible that the card with that cracked slab isn't the card that was in the slab. Others here think the card is ok, so it may well be. When you get it, hold the card so the card's edge is closest to your eye, put some light on it, and examine that edge. Also, set the card on its edge on a flat surface and see if the edge is straight. Wish you well with it.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 11-13-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, people crack cars out for lots of reasons. And sometimes sell them later along with the flips and sometimes more. I bought a low grade AB Back and when I got it it I was surprised to see it shipped in the remnants of its SGC slab. Open slab, flip, card, just no insert. Someday I may get it reholdered, but it's no big deal, being an obvious SGC10.

Steve B
Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Reholdering was once just five bucks. Send the card along with flip back to PSA... Go from there
Reholdering is $5 IF the card is kept intact in the plastic slab. Once the card is broken out, all bets are off......
Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Frank Wakefield

So did this card arrive yet? How are the edges?