NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Matt Wieder

Default Year with most HOFers Playing?

A question I've pondered that I don't know if anyone has a guess as to the answer: What baseball season had the most players (not including managers) that would go on to be in the Hall of Fame?

One of the ramifications of that question that I'm curious about is, if there was more interest in baseball in general and cards in specific during those seasons.

I think 1921 had 30 future HOFers.

Last edited by Matt; 10-06-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Those numbers are provided in Bill James book "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame".

Between the years 1925 and 1933 between 50 and 55 HOFers played each year. The most was 55 in 1928. James also lists the % of total At Bats that were by Hall of Famers for each year. The most was a whopping 24% in 1929. Typically this number has been around 10% since WW2.

Edited to add: According to James there were 34 would be HOFers playing in 1921.

Last edited by celoknob; 10-06-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Matt Wieder

55! That means that each team on average had about 3.5 HOFers! Going to a game, between the two teams, you'd see 7 future HOFers.

If you wouldn't mind - what are the numbers for some of the most card heavy times - say 1887, 1910 and 1933?

Thanks very much for the information.

Last edited by Matt; 10-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default 1974

In recent years, it always seemed to me like the 1975 set had just an unreal number of HOF players. Never bothered to count...but I have to think that 1974 or 1975 has to be up there for the most over the last half century.

Tom C
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM

70 and 72 Topps have 38 Hall of famers as players (I think), plus another dozen or so cards of managers/coaches who are in now or will likely go (Blyleven, Oliva, Santo, Torre, Larussa, Schoendienst, Ted Williams, Durocher, et al) plus Rose.

Also they have numerous all star cards, W.S. highlight cards, League Leaders, in action, etc.... bringing the total of Hall of Fame cards in 1972 especially close to 70.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Frank Wakefield

Mr. James wrote one fine book, there. He retitled it after it didn't sell well under the original title. ANYONE who's opining about who should or shouldn't be in the Hall should first read that book; and keep their yap shut until they do.

Mr. James mentions some reasons why there are a disproportionate number of HOFers from certain times.

Here's a ticket stub I have, my oldest professional stub. It's for a double header in Philadelphia on September 15th, 1928. The Cardinals took two from the Phillies that day.

One thing I like about the stub is that a fellow watching those games would have seen 7 future HOFers on the field, 6 for the Cardinals, and 1 for the Phillies. St. Louis had Alexander, Bottomley, Frisch, Hafey, Haines, and Maranville. The Phillies had Chuck Klein.

I have a newspaper writeup of the games that has been retyped...

And I had worked on the box scores, years ago, but I grew frustrated with trying to line up the columns. Maybe one day I'll try again.

So the 3.5 HOFers per team were on the field that day. Frisch's presence on HOF committee's may well have gotten a few of his friends into the Hall who might have otherwise not made it. In 1928, with the Cardinals bringing 6 future HOFers to town, it seems there'd be 7 or more HOFers present no matter who they played. Surely the other 7 NL teams had at least one future HOFer.

Read Mr. James' book. And then read his historical abstract.

Four bits to see 18 innings of baseball with 7 HOFers... that sounds like a deal. And I'll bet the beer was affordable, then.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-07-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Considering that game took place during prohibition anyone drinking beer would have ended up in jail.

That would be a tough choice... beer or baseball. Hmmmm....
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
ANYONE who's opining about who should or shouldn't be in the Hall should first read that book; and keep their yap shut until they do.

Seems a little harsh, doesn't it Frank? No one is allowed to offer an opinion until they read that specific book?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

James's book, originally titled "The Politics of Glory" is a must read for its information about the institutional history of the Hall of Fame as well as explanations and discussions of who should be in and who should not. Very interesting reading. My favorite line is in the first chapter. "Alexander Cleland, an employee of Cooperstown's wealthiest patron had an idea...He knew that the village...held some vague claim to being the birthplace of baseball. His idea was that Cooperstown...could assemble a collection of baseball artifacts which might draw hundreds of visitors a year." HUNDREDS OF VISITORS. LOL
Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Frank Wakefield

Jim VB, I'm just a harsh fella... sorry if that offends you. I had no intent to offend.

Have you read the book? Anything wrong with an opinion being founded in a bit of knowledge and education? Probably not necessary, after all, opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. But I think those opinions that are founded in knowledge and information are more worthy of consideration.

Can't harshness be correct?

I figure you've not read the book. And it is such a good book. I found that I actually understood the National Baseball Museum, what it is and how it got that way, after reading the book. Before that, I just thought that the Hall of Fame was just an honor bestowed upon the greatest players of our national pastime. Now, with the enlightened perspective of having read Mr. James' book, I can now see that my prior opinion was faulty. So what about you reading the book, then opining as to my harshness?

And golly, what about "neat old ticket stub, Frank." That would have been less harsh than a quote with a disagreement.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-07-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Kenny Cole

It is a very good book. I bought the initial version and then bought the revised version when it came out a few years later. Both were excellent and thought-provoking.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

"I will be harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Jim VB, I'm just a harsh fella... sorry if that offends you. I had no intent to offend.

Have you read the book? Anything wrong with an opinion being founded in a bit of knowledge and education? Probably not necessary, after all, opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. But I think those opinions that are founded in knowledge and information are more worthy of consideration.

Can't harshness be correct?

I figure you've not read the book. And it is such a good book. I found that I actually understood the National Baseball Museum, what it is and how it got that way, after reading the book. Before that, I just thought that the Hall of Fame was just an honor bestowed upon the greatest players of our national pastime. Now, with the enlightened perspective of having read Mr. James' book, I can now see that my prior opinion was faulty. So what about you reading the book, then opining as to my harshness?

And golly, what about "neat old ticket stub, Frank." That would have been less harsh than a quote with a disagreement.

I wasn't "offended." And I don't believe I said I was. I do believe that taking a point of view that says no one is allowed to voice an opinion, unless they read one specific book is harsh. I believe that information used to form an opinion should come from multiple sources, not just one book, regardless of how good said book may be. Telling people to "keep their yap shut" seems over the top. (As a side note, no one in this thread had opined on who should, or shouldn't be, in the HOF.)

Neat ticket stub, Frank!

Last edited by Jim VB; 10-08-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Frank Wakefield

Read the book, and consider foregoing quoting, it wastes space. There was a "should" in what I said, in what you quoted. The other guys have read the book. Pick a fight in every playground.

And thank you, glad you like the 1928 stub; I posted it since they were speaking of 1928 being the year for HOFers.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Jeff

If one doesn't voice his opinion, how can anyone tell him how uninformed he is?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-08-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
I one doesn't voice his opinion, how can anyone tell him how uninformed he is?
It's just assumed.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Bob B.

Frank, Be it Politics, Religion, or Baseball, there's nothing scarier than a man who bases his opinion on one book. I have read the book and I'd bet my life Mr. James would agree with my first sentence.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

I understand what you said, there, Bob, but not why. My opinion isn't based on one book.

I'm not saying read that one book and then you're set, I'm saying that you need to read THAT book before offering an opinion. I'm all for reading more besides that one book. Bunches of books. I'm a bibliophile, wish there were more.

If someone reads that book then why 1928 is the year with HOFers playing becomes obvious.

Form an opinion without having read the book. Once you have that opinion, I doubt that you'd hold onto it, unchanged, if you did read either book.

I'm reading a pretty dry, slow going book about Human Accomplishment, by some guy named Murray, I think he is or was a Libertarian. I'll be glad when I'm done with it, and I don't really recommend it, but I figure some stuff is in there I'll want to know. I like knowing stuff, and I well understand that some folks don't.

I suspect I'll die, sandwiched in between books... those in stacks under the bed, and those stacked in the attic, that will come crashing down through my bedroom ceiling.

I'm with Kenny, I bought the first one, and then the second one, too. Again, I had an opinion about the Hall before I read what Mr. James wrote. I think my understanding and opinion is better having read what he wrote. I'll read more about the Hall, given more time. I just think anyone who wants to know instead of just shoot off would be better off if they read The Politics of Glory.

Powerful quote, Peter.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-09-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default the rest of the quote

" I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- and I will be heard."

Assume you know it, Frank.

Edit to add On this one I agree with Kenny and Frank, James' books on the Hall really are essential reading for those interested in the debate on who is in and who is out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

One of my favorites: "Charity looks at the need and not at the cause."

Last edited by Rob D.; 10-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Frank Wakefield

Rob, I like the first quote.

Peter, I didn't recognize the second one, you must be a Garrison scholar.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

He had a lot of great lines. Here is another:

Enslave the liberty of but one human being and the liberties of the world are put in peril.