NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default How do you prepare?

Posted By: ted

When going to a show, how do you guys prepare? Do you generally go with a specific goal in mind? Do you plan how much you want to spend on each type of card that you want? When you see a dealer that has a price on the card, maybe one that you aren't totally familiar with but that you like, how do you decide on a price? Also, as an aside, what is a good resource for strip cards? I'm really taking a liking to them because they are simple and relatively inexpensive examples of great players.

BlackSoxFan

Old 07-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

When I go to a show, I usually bring a list of cards that I am looking for, either to close out a set, or something I just NEED to have, well that month, at least.
I also check out ebay 2-3 weeks before the show, to see what these cards are selling for, and write down the average sale price so I know what kinds of deals are out there.
I also leave a little cash aside for some boxes of new products. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I still kind of like the new issues from Donruss.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about strip cards. Hope this was someone informational!

Josh

Old 07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

<<I still kind of like the new issues from Donruss.>>

The only way to go is to give up modern stuff completely. Cold Turkey. Why would you spend $10 on modern baseball cards, when you can get a perfectly nice example of a T206 card from 100 years ago for that price? Does not make sense to me.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I havent bought any modern cards in about a year and a half, but I can say that there is still something fun about opening a pack and seeing what you got - plus, if you like the current game and its players, there is nothing wrong with buying their cards - just dont go into it with the assumption that the autographed game used jersey card will be worth as much in a month as the day you open it.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

T206,

It's tough to quit cold turkey! I do enjoy opening packs of today's players, get an auto of a White Sox guy, or put together a whole set by hand.
I've slowed weened off the new shiney stuff, and have only bought Pre-war (mostly '33 Goudey) singles for the past year.

EDIT: Ted, I do not mean to hijack your thread, and after I posted this reply, I realized that is has nothing to do with your topic. So I will try to stay "on point" as they say.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

To answer Ted's actual question - there arent many shows in NC and the few that come through have very little vintage. So I generally go just to see what if anything I can find. To date, I havent found much that has interested me.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

With so many cards available on ebay and on dealers' websites, I see very little reason to go to shows any more and when I have gone it is usually an exercise in frustration as the cards tend to be overgraded (if raw) and overpriced (if graded).

Old 07-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Well that's 6 posts and 1 and a half responses! Woo hoo...

Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Well, don't make it to too many shows any more, but when I do....

Generally, if going to a larger show will go with a small list of items/sets that I'm looking for and make one round seeing if I can find items on the list. Definately know what price range your looking for and condition. You'll notice other items when making the round. If I find what I'm looking for, then stroll around a second time to see if anything catches my eye.

If I don't find anything then the stroll around is often more detailed and stop at "interesting" tables....If you don't know many dealers you'll need to try to get a feel for the individual, as that will by and large determine how much of your time you should spend and $'s you should be spending with that dealer.

Go knowing how much you want to spend, how much you can afford to spend...and stick to it. If you do that you'll be able to attend the next show...and still make the car payment, mortgage payment, and keep the wife somewhat happy.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

When I go to a show, I typically have a mental list of the cards that I want / have been looking for. Usually they are cards that I have seen on ebay at least a couple of times, but have not bid because the price was too high (2 crazy people duking it out), or because it is just too hard to see the condition in the scan.

When I find the card at a show, I will pay over my comfortable ebay price because 1) I can see the card and examine it closely, 2) I don't have to worry about it being lost in transportation, and 3) I can take it home today.

If I find something that catches my eye, and I am not familiar with it or the price/value, I typically talk to the dealer to find out as much about it as possible and then make an offer depending on how far into the show it is - ie: if it is a 3 day show, and I am looking at the card on the 3rd day, chances are the price is too high, or way too high. If I walk away and try to talk to other people to find out more about the item, chances are that it will still be there when I get back 30min later.

Of course, if there is nothing on my short mental list at the show, those crappy cards that I would have never considered before getting to the show start looking really attractive as my tiny wad of bills start to burn a hole in my pocket.

PS - I also prepare by packing a couple of water bottles to keep me alive as the dealers tend to beat on me when I look and feel weary - can't put up much of a fight.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I only go to fort washington and usually i have a list of cards id like to get(used to be t206s) and an idea about other cards i wouldnt pass up for the right price.The last show i wanted to get a Ted Williams and a Jackie Robinson card.I looked around the show first to make sure there wasnt anything else i wanted. I found a t206 error which i bought and ended up only getting a Jackie Robinson card because of money.Not wanting to leave with money in my pocket i bought a Rocky Colavito rookie.

So basically go with a wantlist thats reasonable,look around first for great deals/cards and dont leave with money

Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Rather than a want list I usually make up a don't want list. My biggest problem at a major show is forgetting what cards I've already got in specific sets. If I don't bring a complete index of my collection I invariably end up buying duplicates. Some other things I do to prepare:

I pack my own card holders and a hard box to keep them in so I don't destroy my acquisitions on the way home.

I pack a small notepad and pen so I can write down what I bought and what it cost, as well as cross off stuff on my want list.

I pack some dry foods I can munch on while I am walking around (jerky, nuts, etc.) and a bottle of water. Convention food is just plain nasty...

Old 07-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

I agree, we actually have planned to take a couple of ultra-portable pc's with us (sony U-series) that have large scans of all of our cards as well as a few spread sheets w/ prices, condition info and other notes that will help us remember what we have. We definitely take notes, I'm even considering hooking up a high speed connection for that weekend so we can check net prices of cards we find. I'm still very worried about my ability to notice trimmed cards and such.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I take as much $$$ as I want to, with me to shows.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

assuming that the original post was directed towards the national or another mega large show.

the number 1 rule is if you see something of interest and don;t purchase it. WRITE DOWN THE TABLE NUMBER. do not assume you will remember where it was, i have been to many large shows and have a memory like a rat and believe me you will not remember the aisle or the dealer or the showcase or ever see that card again. further if it is a card of scarcity and you have been seeking it for some time and it finally appears in front of you for sale, DO NOT tell the dealer you are going to walk around and think about it or look for another. AGAIN, you may not find another, you may not find the previous one and if you are lucky enough to find your way back to the orignal table where your holy grail was, IT PROBABLY WON"T BE THERE!
i have had so many people ask about a moderate to rare card, explaining they have spent half there adult life searching for it, i magically produce it, they ooh and ahh, ask how much, and tell me they are going to walk around and think about, baffles me(and we may be talking a $50 item, not $5,000), if i have been looking for something that long and hard, i am gonna pull the trigger and ask questions later. you already know in your own mind how difficult it is to find, just negotiate a price and buy the damn thing! i often have had "thinkers" come back only to tell them the next guy that came along bought their item of interest and was taking 4 foot strides when he left the table.

oh well, enough for show buyers 101, stop by and see me at table #333 in chicago for a plethora of old cards, even if just to chit chat, OK so this thread may belong in the BST section, but Leon will be at my table with his stuff so it's in his best interest as well

scott

Old 07-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Scott -
I will definitely be there..... i would love to compliment my Weaver obak we got from you.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

for each show. If I am working on a set, I take a checklist (torn from an old price guide).

I very seldom add anything to the stuff on the lists--I do that with board members, favorite dealers, auction houses. I usually wind up buying something that catches my eye, that I never thought of getting.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

For every set I am trying to complete(generally in psa 8 or better) I have a sheet which lists the cards I need, the SMR, the pop in 8 and the pop in 9.
For some smaller sets, I have the pops in 9 and 10. I carry all these around with me.

I always find some cards I need although I only go to the big shows now.

Dav

Old 07-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Dress comfortably with comfortable shoes (think I'm kidding? Ever been to a National?), keep your wallet in your front pocket, make arrangements to have lunch or supper with buddies later and look and shop with a vengance. You HAVE to have a wantlist or at least a list of what you already have, especially on large sets that are about halfway completed. Instead of ogling the Playmate of the Year who is signing autographs, ask the goofy looking dealer with the pot belly if he has any caramel cards which aren't displayed. Budget your time, don't screw around checking out PSA 9 1956 Mantles if you collect pre-war. At the end of the day, review your purchases, make sure and log in your new acquisitions to prevent buying the same card again (it happens). Adam makes a good point about making sure those cards go safely in to hard holders, too many times great cards are sabotaged by our own accidental mishandling. Scott makes a good point about pulling the trigger when you have the chance. Yes there have been a few times I have kicked myself when I found a better condition same card later for a better price but I always felt better about that than missing out on a card I really needed because I thought someone out there might have a better one.
Take a day off. For me, it will be Friday (kid's get in free day). After Wednesday night and all day Thursday, I'll be ready to relax, see the Cubs, and hit the 54 Dinner. Back to business Saturday and checking out desperate sellers early Sunday.
Be focused, but most of all, have fun...

Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Crandell

One more thing--if its a relative large show, call one of your friends that is a dealer or from one of the grading companies--anyone who is displaying--and get a dealer pass so you can get in as the dealers are setting up. This gives you first crack at all the stuff you need and it is far less crowded.

Dav

Old 07-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

<<<Why would you spend $10 on modern baseball cards, when you can get a perfectly nice example of a T206 card from 100 years ago for that price>>>

Wow, where can I find one? Most t206 examples priced at $10 nowadays look like they've been through the washing machine. You can hardly find a presentable t206 example for $20-30 now.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Administrator

....somebody (i.e., me) walked off with these 8 T206 cards for $80.00.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=376260&messageid=1121087654&lp=1121258488

Now, I agree that Bender is in half and the Huggins is beat up, but these 8 are still quite presentable and, in my opinion, respectable cards. I would spend $80 on this lot of cards every time before I would spill a penny on shiny DonrussPinaccleScoreToppsUpperDeckEliteExtremeFunz oAutographPerBoxChipOfBatUniformGameUsedCrap-o-Card.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I guess we all have different tastes then! Doesn't mean one is "crap" and the other isn't. To each his own.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator

...that your taste was crap. I was criticizing the new cards as being like really sweet candy -- hard to resist, but ultimately unfulfilling and in the end, bad for you (for, among other reasons, that the cost vs. resale value ratio is extremely high).

Cold turkey, man. It's the only way to get off that stuff. At Network54, we're here to help.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I guess it is to each their own. I know people who have 300-400 t206 cards that are creased and beat to heck, but they love them, I certainly wouldn't. Personally, that lot for $80 doesn't do it for me. I would much rather have an EXMT t206 common than 8 beaters. As for the topic, a game plan is absolutely essential, especially when a multitude of beautiful cards are out there, it's easy to lose focus....

Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Is to buy the beaters in lots to upgrade my very (oh so close) near set, and then sell the lesser condition doubles to drum up enough cash to upgrade my set even further. The goal is a set in nothing less than VG, but my expense account all starts with the beaters at the bottom of the food chain.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Marcy

The best plan was covered in some earlier posts:

Wear good and comfortable shoes! Lots of walking.
Write down table #'s with item descriptions on items you are considering.
Bring your own holders so cards don't get damaged and can be stored with you in a uniform manner.
Bring cash for the best deals. Most (Including me) dealers don't like to negotiate if payment is by credit card/check.

Enjoy a dinner at Bob Chinn's Crab House (www.bobchinns.com) You won't be sorry!

And last but certainly not least, stop by booth 508 and 510 and spend the bulk of your money with me. We will have some unique items and the largest Non-Sports display in the show!

Just my 2 cents.

Brian Marcy
Scottsdalecards.com

Old 07-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I replace the gel inserts in my shoes before a major show. Concrete floors are very fatiguing.

Also second Scott's statement. Do NOT walk away from something you really want unless there is just no way in hell you can afford it.

Also bring stuff you want graded on site, as every slabber will be working there. I had several items graded last year that were not much more expensive to grade on site when shipping was taken out of the equation.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie