NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Steven H.

Default OT: Thinking about Joining SABR

I've enjoyed learning about the deadball era players as I add a new card to my collection. Doing my own research, digging through their stats, seeing there moves through the major and minors, etc... has been a lot of fun. This week I was looking into Rafael Almeida after picking up a T207 of him. This lead to an article about Armando Marsans on SABR. Very informative and I'd really enjoy contributing to something similar. Not to mention finding a group in the Columbus, Ohio area to just talk prewar baseball. My wife listens, but I can tell she's not that interested. She collects with me (albeit modern cards) so I can't ask for too much.

Now onto the purpose for this post....

What do you think about SABR?
Is anyone here a SABR member?
Do you recommend joining?
Any Columbus area members on the board?

Steven
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM
David Kathman

I'm a SABR member, and I think it's a great organization to join if you're really into baseball from the era of N and T cards, as you obviously are. You get some nice publications as part of your membership (though you can also buy those without being a member), and there are chapters all over the United States that hold regular meetings. Looking on sabr.org, I see that they do have a chapter in Columbus, Ohio, the Hank Gowdy Chapter, with contact info for six members of the steering committee listed on the web site. You can also join areas of SABR devoted to different eras of baseball history, including the deadball era, and many of these have newsletters and e-mail lists.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I am the furthest thing from a "joiner" but I can't recommend SABR enough! The way I see it there's basically 2 groups, the stat guys and the history guys. I'm in the later category. There are many sub-groups you can participate in including the Bio-Project which is what you were reading. There's a Dead Ball Era group as well and many others you might like. The conventions are a lot of fun too - imagine being with a thousand people who are all very into the same thing you are, and are dying to discuss it! SABR puts out 2 journals a year which to me is worth the membership fee. There is also free access to paperofrecord.com which has the entire Sporting News archive online plus discounts to the MLB channel and a whole bunch of other things I'm sure I don't take advantage of.

When my book comes out in May I am sure they will help promote it as well. (I'm in Cincinnati and when I have my book launch on May 8 you should come down there will be a lot of baseball history guys to talk to). All in all a very worthwhile group to be a part of.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

My wife and I were members for a while.

It's really a good group to join. The magazine if they still do it is a nice mix of the math heavy articles and the history articles. Most of the math stuff didn't do much for me. But the history was almost always a good read.

Steve B
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Mark

The Deadball Era Committee newsletter, "The Inside Game," is very well written and would likely interest you. The other general publications (The National Pastime and Baseball Research Journal) have a lot of Deadball Era content.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Skip

I would encourage you to join. It's the best investment I have made for access to research, biographies, and history. I'm not a stats guy, but for those who are it is an invaluable resource, too. I know there's a chapter in Columbus and others throughout Ohio. I don't think you'd be disappointed with membership...
Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Chris

Default SABR/Columbus

Been in SABR since the mid-70's. The Columbus chapter is pretty active. They have a couple meetings a year. Have book discussions a few times a year, attend OSU and Clippers games. Cleveland chapter has a couple sessions each year, Dayton has 2 each year incl. May 9 this year with a Dragons game. I'll be presenting about my baseball trip to Cuba.

I heartily encourage you to join SABR for the info available and the chance to meet folks with similar interest. Drop me a line if you want more info.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Highly recommended: Deadball Stars of...

Steven...

Two periodicals created by SABR members are: DEADBALL STARS of the American League and DEADBALL STARS of the National League. They will provide many hours of pleasurable, informative reading and, if you are careful, will not cost you much. An eBay check will usually turn up one or both books at very reasonable cost.

I enjoyed both very much! They really bring cards of the period (T205, T206, etc.) to life.

Best regards,
Steve