NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default The Thread for Very Hungry New Yorkers

Posted By: barrysloate

Okay- I've received emails from several people who would like to get a NYC dinner together and I feel the best way to do this is on a thread, because if we have to email each other it will get a little crazy. As wonderful a restaurant as Peter Luger's is- the best porterhouse in America and it has been at the same location since 1887 (thus the Old Judge and Allen & Ginter tie-in)- I agree that Manhattan may be an easier meeting place for most. A few people suggested Ben Benson's which I never heard of but I'm game if that's what the majority wants. Let me also mention that one of the long time Peter Luger waiters defected and opened his own steakhouse in lower Manhattan, and I've yet to try it so that could be in the mix. I'm open to anything from sushi to greek food to a good steak but the question is when and where, and how do we coordinate it? Is a weekend better than a weekday? Once we come to some kind of agreement I'd be happy to make the reservation. If people want to come from out of town perhaps we should give their schedules a little more weight. Anyway, please all post here and let's see what we can come up with. Barry

Old 11-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

If we are thinking steakhouse another great one is Smith & Wollensky. It's midtown about 47th Street.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Ben Bensons is incredible.

great steakhouse.

Dare I say... best in the city (sorry peter luger)

Its a good choice if thats where it will happen.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George

It is a long, cold winter. The World Series has ended, and spring training is not even on the horizon. I think a meeting of the Hot Stove League in a nice New York restaurant would be just dandy. I live on Long Island, in Stony Brook, and the Long Island Railroad can deliver me anytime. I think any of the restaurants mentioned would be perfect. Can we do some trading?

Old 11-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Weekday probably best, since the weekends are usually already scheduled by spouses etc. It would be nice if site was central to make it easier for commuters coming via Penn Stn.

Steak would be great. Some don't like food from Kazikhstan.

Frank

Old 11-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator

You've piqued my interest with this Ben Benson place. Does anyone have the address? I know that it will be impossible to get everyone to agree on a time and place, so why don't I start by picking something- how about Saturday December 9, and let's go with one of the steakhouses. I was originally thinking the night of the Sotheby's auction to give people another reason to be in the city, and that is a Thursday, Nov 30. I think more people will be free on the weekend but I'm waiting to hear what everyone has to say. I can do it anytime any place so I won't even vote- I'll just be there.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ben Benson's
123 W. 52nd St., New York, NY 10019
between Sixth and Seventh Aves

Due to the people coming in to the city from Long Island, etc., would it be easier to do it inside Grand Central at Michael Jordan's? I've eaten at all of these places and think that once you get away from Luger's, the best is Morton's or Sparks. Sparks is a pain in the ass to get a large party in, Morton's is not. However, Michael Jordan's is located in the best spot for commuters. Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Since the consensus, so far, is leaning to steak.....let me add Ruth Crist's Steak House
to the mix. I've eaten at several of them and they are consistently delicious.

It's been a while since we've dined at the NY one, but I think it is located just west of
the Theatre district.

T-Rex TED

Old 11-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

I have lived on the Upper East Side of Manhattan for the past 30 years.

We dine with clients and colleagues at NYC restaurants at least 10-12
meals per month. We have found that the most reliable, indepdendent
source of "top restaurants" to be the Zagat Guide.

The top Manhattan steakhouses from the 2007 guide are:

Strip House
13 E. 12th St.
(bet. 5th Ave. & University Pl.)
212-328-0000
Steakhouse252221$66

Sparks Steak House
210 E. 46th St.
212- 687-4855
Steakhouse251921$68

Del Frisco's
1221 Sixth Ave.
(49th St.)
212-575-5129
Steakhouse252223$66

MarkJoseph Steakhouse
261 Water St.
Manhattan, NY
212-277-0020
Steakhouse251723$63

Wolfgang's Steakhouse
4 Park Ave.
212-889-3369
Steakhouse252020$69

We might also suggest a private room at the Post House (food rating 23) which
is more elegant and quieter than some of the mid-town steakhouses. The Post
House is located on 63rd Street between Park and Madison Avenues.

In booking for a large party of 12 or more- you will be required to provide
a credit card deposit. Also one should be aware that some of the major
law firms, consultants and investment banks may be planning their
holiday events at the top restaurants.

Look forward to joining you

Bruce
America's Toughest Want List

Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

well, this sounds great! i can suggest some of my other favorites as well...i live on 34th between 9th & 10th, one block from madison square garden...

IMO, the best steak house is Old Homestead in the meat packing district (has been there over 100 years, i believe)...there are some other trendier places i could suggest, like Buddakhan or TAO...just name a cusine & a price-range, and i can suggest a multitude of places (did i spell that right, Barry? haha).

weekday vs. weekend, doesn't matter to me, maybe a weekday would be best...but i am flexible...

Best-
MS

Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

there Brucey! Would love to talk and discuss cards and such!

Sounds like you hav a whale of healthy diet!

BcD

Old 11-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

I'm too shy to join in, but if you're looking for a good steakhouse I'd highly suggest Strip House, on 12th street. They happen to also own Michael Jordan's at Grand Central so I'm sure that's a fine choice as well.... but the Strip House has great big round tables for you all to pow wow at, and they're not going to rush you. It's lively but you can still hear yourself talk, and nobody will feel out of place even though the room attempts to be super swanky.

Homestead is darn tasty too but far too chaotic and loud. Too hectic.

Another suggestion that might be a little more budget friendly and still has that Peter Lugar old New York feel to it is Walkers in Tribeca. The menu is eclectic, it's one of the cities oldest bars, and their burgers will melt in your mouth.

For drinks I'd suggest the round table in the lobby of the Algonquin Hotel (located close to Grand Central), or Campbell Apartments, which is in Grand Central itself.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Bruce- Wolfgang's was the one I was thinking of. Wolfgang was a longtime waiter at Peter Luger's who left to start his own restaurant, serving the same aged porterhouse as Luger's did. That aside, I think this thread has lost its direction. So far all we have done is list every good steakhouse in the city. Now that we have about ten choices and no date picked, how on earth do we narrow it down to one date and one place? Any ideas? Michael Jordan's is a breeze for me since I can walk to the IRT and get off at Grand Central, but it doesn't have to be that. I motion to form a committee to decide which restaurant to go to, and suggest December 9 at 7:00 PM wherever we end up. But it's just a suggestion.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

we ate at a place in the village called 'One if by Land' or something like that. I think it was previously the carriage house for Paul Revere or something. Very good steak--think we had beef wellington or something. Wish I could be there as NYC is one of my favorite places. Spent a lot of time there (actually, Morristown NJ) in 1995/1996 for a big project and went into city 2-3 times per week. Unfortunately, KY is just too long of a commute for even the best dinner. Our 14 year old wants to go to Stanford Law School and then move to NYC to be a lawyer. Hopefully that pans out so We can get back to the city consistently!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

There is a chance I will be attending this little get together. With that in mind I feel I should at least tell my ventures in organizing a few dinners of rowdy, vintage card collectors. I have organized the last three Net54 National Dinners. Each time it was the venue, and not the food, that made the dinner. You will eat other good meals, and I am not saying to pick a place that doesn't have tasty food, but keep in mind that this is more of a meeting and get together than an eating contest. Pick the best venue, where everyone can talk and mingle, and you/we will have a good time. Get a place that is crowded and loud and you will end up getting to know 1-2 of the folks at dinner....Our last National Dinner was the best by far, imo, because of the place it was. (It was at a private bar only for us)...the food was just decent (I forgot the side dishes )....but it was a great time as the drinks and conversation flowed freely. Just my thoughts...and I hope to make NY for the 1st time....

Old 11-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Haven't had the chance to post yet but I'm also down for whatever we all decide. I work on 51st and 6th, and live right off of Wall Street. One if by land is a good place, I might add.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

And let me add that if Leon comes we've invited him to stay with us in Brooklyn, and of course hope it all works out. Leon made a good point that while a fancy steak house will get us a great meal, if we get loud it might just disturb other patrons. If we try a place like say TGIF we'll get a so-so meal but have a great time. I know whatever date we pick there is going to be one or two who can't make it, and I think there is no way around that. So again let me suggest Dec 9 at 7:00 PM- we have to start somewhere, and unless it is a bad date for everyone, take it from there. It is the early stages of holiday season so reservations for a big crowd should be done ASAP. Please all chime in, today if possible. We should try to have this down in the next few days. I also think midtown is a good location since some will be coming in by LIRR or Grand Central. Keep those ideas coming.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

and in NYC we have many many choices of good restaurants.

the surroundings / and ease of commute should be considered.

I hate making suggestions (just in case I can't make it)....

but another consideration - if you don't mind stepping down the level of restaurant -
could be ESPN restaurant in times square (especially if we schedule it during a good game).

I had a bachelor party there once and you basically can be as loud as you want, the beer keeps flowing, wings / burgers type food... and big screens everywhere.

Just a thought.

Edit to add:
If you have never been there... one thing I found funny....
even the urinals have there own screen above them -
so you don't have to miss a second of the game even if you have to pee.
And if #2 hits you / they have tv screens pointed down toward the sit down toilets.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Saturday, Dec. 9 should work for me. And, I would echo Leon's comment that the nature of the place is far more important than the food. Ideally, a private or semi-private room might be most conducive to getting to know folks, although perhaps prohibitive cost-wise, I don't know. Mark

Old 11-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Administrator

I also like 12/9. Anyplace is good for me

Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Joe's suggestion is excellent for this type of gathering. I've passed by but never been in there. Just how crowded and rowdy will it get on a Saturday night? Is it a zoo or reasonably pleasant? Please fill us in.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator

The venue should be loud with us, and not necessarily a thousand other people. I would think TGIF wouldn't be quite the venue. There has to be a nice steakhouse that has a room for 15-20 people that could be sectioned off for just us (most likely I can make it...but not positive yet)... Maybe I didn't make my point very clear the first time but a loud place is not the best....at least for getting to know people....

Old 11-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Administrator

is awesome... and perfect for the sports nut.

good food (not fine dining / but pretty good).. and great sports atmosphere.

My friends called ahead and we were able to get a nice sized table / somewhat exclusive area for a bachelor party.... It was a while ago - so I don't know if they still do that sort of thing... but it is worth making the call.

Otherwise I would say it does get very crowded on weekends (I have never been there during the week), and as you know - December in Manhattan is wall to wall people --- but that works in our favor I would guess. The place would be pretty loud / we will have many tv's facing us with whatever is on (basketball / college football / etc.) We won't feel uncomfortable to get up and walk over to others at the other end of the table.

Basically its very much not stuffy. And sports themed.

We can even shoot baskets / bowl / throw football (they have a floor of adult or young adult type sports games). Like a chuck-e-cheese for us.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Somebody on the board who works in Manhattan could probably lead us to the ideal place- and any restaurant can give us a big table. And keep in mind we can be reasonably loud and have fun anywhere. I'm assuming we don't have to hit each other over the head with a chair and break furniture to have a good time. Plenty of restaurants have tables set aside for 15-20 and there is drinking and laughing without it getting out of hand. I don't eat in Manhattan as much as I used to, so I might not be the best one to pick a place.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Joe- I'm not a big Chuck E. Cheese fan- I went there once and my head exploded- so maybe we should kick around a few more ideas. We can still leave it in the mix.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

that section is apart from the restaurant (on a different floor)

you don't even have to see it - if you don't want to.

I didn't want you to have the impression that it was going on around you while you eat.

The only thing you will see is huge screens and decent food - a sports themed restaurant.

Edit to say:
whatever works for everyone though.. and I will try my best to make it - this is a cool idea.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Another place to possibly consider is the Heatland Brewery. Again - lower class food, but more of an upbeat atmosphere that can accomodate rowdy vintage card fans. There are something like 6 or 7 of them so they are never crowded - more tourists than NY'ers eat there. I know there's one on 42nd, I also know there's one in the Empire State Building, at the Seaport, on 52nd, etc. I've gone there a few times for a game or just an after work drink with other friends from the city. It usually is half-full, not that loud, and can get a decent meal for under $15.00. Reservations for a group would not be a problem - even on short notice. They also have great beer samplers and have 10 or so of their own micro-brews. Basically, it would not be a place that I would go to if I wanted to plan a Friday night or Saturday dinner with my girlfriend - but it may fit the bill as a decent food, good atmosphere, not overly expensive, easy to get to place for a bunch of card-collectors. Again - just a suggestions... what do the other NY'ers think?

http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/

Old 11-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Jon's suggestion seems reasonable, although I've never heard of it. We can still get a steakhouse into the mix, but for a Saturday night reservation for 15-20 it might not be possible. Keep those ideas coming.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure ESPN Zone is a good idea for a Saturday night in Times Square during the pre-holiday season. The place will be an absolute zoo on a night like that. Before we find a place, we need to have a number of participants - that will help us define the place to pick. Let's get something near midtown to help the commuters. Remember, a weekend night in December in NYC is going to be crazy. I'd suggest an East Side restaurant away from Times Square because of that crunch of people. But we'll have to make a reservation soon if we're going to be able to pull it off.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I will second Leon's opinion. It is not about the food, but about the people. When I attend the national more than half of my annual beer consumption occurs over three nights - others maybe not. NY is a long way from Miami, but you never know. The widow of one my closest friends lives in Booklyn not far from Barry and I have not seen her and their kids in 5 years, I might show up.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Peter- what street does your friend live on? Anyway- here is what I am thinking. It seems we all agree that Dec 9 at 7:00 is doable, and I agree getting a big reservation holiday season could be tough. So let's start this way: over the next few days everybody who is in please post that you will be there and I will put your name on a list. Let's say all should let me know by Monday afternoon. At that point I will call around a few restaurants and see who can have us. If one or two people are added or one or two drop out that won't matter. We may be limited by who has room for us. I will try a few places like Ruth Criss and Ben Benson, as well as the brewery Jon suggested. In the meantime, let's still come up with more restaurants. I'll start by saying I am in, and just spoke to Bruce Dorskind and he is in, so we now have two. The list has just begun. Everyone is welcome but we really need a head count.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I will be there....I might add it would be nice to do a NY "exclusive" restaurant if possible. I pass by a Ruth's Chris everyday on the way to work, and while I am not sure there is a better steak, it would be nice to go some place different. Though, if I am the only out of towner, it doesn't really matter.... With that being said, Ruth's Chris, is nice and quiet and might have a small room set aside for occasions..awesome steak....

Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator

And Leon makes three...glad to see you are coming. You make a good point about picking something that is indigenous to NY- well Peter Luger's is such a place but I think it will be a little too inaccessible for most. Those who work every day in Manhattan know what they are. And while we haven't even broached it, we have a great Chinatown. But that may not be everybody's cup of tea. Keep the names and ideas coming.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

I already have reservations at The Grocery (in Brooklyn- yea!) for the 9th- is that a firm date? I'll still vote for Benson's or the Homestead for steak, Ye Waverly Inn for the NY of the 50's feel or one of the Little Italy joints for the over-the-top I-talian experience (say Puglia's?).

Old 11-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Judd- what is the address for Benson's? The Homestead is great but because it is downtown and Ninth Avenue it's a little harder to get to.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Barry,
Strong PL.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I'm in. Barry, I'd try Ben Benson's (the address is above in this thread) or Morton's. I think either would accommodate a large party). Plus they're both in midtown.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Peter- that's a five minute walk to my apartment (4-5 blocks). Hope you decide to come. Jeff, it looks like Benson's is getting the most votes so right now that is the direction we're heading. And Jeff makes four confirmed.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

ok guys there seems to be a lot of interest, this is great, 12/9 works for me...

let me now suggest this...one of my best friends manages a very cool sports bar called "Duke's", it used to be called "Earl's" and they just changed the name, it is on 37th & 3rd...we could get a huge table, and totally get hooked up with a nice discount. awesome food & drinks, flat screen TV's, the whole 9-yards...just let me know and i will make all of the arrangements, we'll have a blast and it will cost us a fraction of what it would at a place like Luger's or Spark's...

feedback?

Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

We can throw Duke's up for a vote- I know nothing about it but I will say we may call Benson's and find there is no way they can accomodate 20 people on a Saturday night during holiday season. Jeff, would you or anyone want to make a preliminary call to Benson's and see if it is even feasible? If they say impossible, we can scratch it off the list. If they say no problem, I think we have to take a vote.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

i am up for anything, i could do an expensive steak house, or a low-key sports bar, i'm flexible...whatever the majority wants, BUT, just to be safe i will let my friend know, so he has a heads-up, just in case...

Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Barry, I'll call today - should I approximate 15 or so?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Jeff- my wife just called and left a message. They don't open until 3:00. I would guess we could be 15-20 but very few have confirmed so do we just make a reservation if they say yes? I suppose we could cancel. Feel free to try them when they open just in case they don't return messages quickly and let us know the status. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Benson's....Galagher's....Patsy's.....whatever; I agree with Peter Thomas it's us,
and not the food that matters.

Count me in......T-Rex TED

Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Ted- you're in. I thought you were going to Greece today?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

The question that I've been wanting to ask but just haven't yet is what brings Leon to our little corner of the world? Are there 200 Western Playgrounds in a dingy apartment in Hells Kitchen we don't know about?! I am going to take this next week off from work and start exploring

Old 11-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

If that's the date, I'll have to pass this time around- but would enjoy another get together after the holidays. Barry - if the 9th doesn't work for Benson's then I'm in.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

I think you guys have managed to name some of the noiseist establishments in the city.
Midtown is filled with private dining rooms - and I've never had trouble getting reservations during the Holiday Season.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Edacra- feel free to suggest a place or two. Remember, we may need to seat 15 or more people. But we are still open to suggestions.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

There's a Spanish place on the east side in the 50's called Solera (they used to have a branch in Irvington right on the Hudson) that has a couple of private rooms and the food is great as is the wine list. I think the website is www.solerany.com. Also less $$ than a NY steak experience.