NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default OT Mr. Olbermann's Good Night

The last edition of Countdown was last night. I suspect he'll have covenants in his contract restricting him doing another, similar show. I'll miss him, and look forward to his return.

Maybe it gives him a chance to appear a bit here. If he does, let's be atypically nice to him, welcome him, instead of attack his posts. The man knows a right smart about old cards. We'd benefit from his presence.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Rawn Hill

I guess you are not on the Brucii mailing list.

Rawn
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Frank, I voted for Gerald Ford and I'm fine with that. He has purchased a few T206 cards from me over the years and has always been a spirited bidder (can't say the same for the rest of Net54.......where were you during my eBay June 2009 auction???).

Just to go even more O/T and at the same time a bit cryptic, my sources tell me that the Bruce is/are setting up a third prewar baseball card forum in the hopes that Keith joins in. I believe it's going to be called the Alamo .

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 01-22-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Hello Iggyman

My best memories of my whole life were in Miami(Kendall of course) during the Gerald Ford years. Boy do I miss that time.

I welcome Mr Olbermann's baseball card expertise if he comes onto the forum.

Frank
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

I feel your pain Frank! That was quite a view back in 1976. A silver Trans Am, testosterone to spare, and not being burdened by a want list. Truth be told, I really didn't care who was president.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 01-22-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Unless it pertains to baseball cards.....

Bruce, take me off your mail list please
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rob D.; 01-22-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Steven Finley

The best to Keith in all future endeavors. Feel free to stop by anytime. (Saying that, I'm pretty sure he lurks here.)
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
(Saying that, I'm pretty sure he lurks here.)
Hiya, Keith.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DMcD828.jpg (75.0 KB, 838 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
The best to Keith in all future endeavors. Feel free to stop by anytime. (Saying that, I'm pretty sure he lurks here.)
He probably reads the board some. He has posted a few times and is a registered member. regards
Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Barry Sloate

I think Keith may have to stay off the air for some period of time. So I guess he is beginning a bit of a vacation, and a hiatus from the broadcasting world.

Keith, if you're reading this, best of luck to you. You'll find a new project down the road.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-23-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Rich Klein

Default He wrote

many hobby based articles in the 1970s and a few after that. There has never been any political issues with his card articles and I hope that he does contribute to these boards and we do understand that he is a fellow collector, albeit with slightly deeper pockets, then most of us.

He is in fact, an excellent writer and I for one would love to see him produce some card related articles.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-23-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default KO

Keith is way too smart and talented to be unemployed for long unless that is his choice. I enjoy reading his MLB blog and maybe this intersession will allow him to post to that more frequently. I wouldn't mind seeing a baseball related book either.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Would love for Mr. Olbermann

I would love for Mr. Olbermann to be envolved with the chat board or release a card related book. Not sure how he consistently violated compny rules, he admitted then one transgression, contributions to several Democratic candidtes, that he was suspended for he did not even know it violated the rules. I may have missed something else. please enlighten me. Or is this a case of I hate his politics so I'll over exaggerate his mistakes, or as I call it politics in America.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default The real scoop.

Wasn't it something about Keith having an affair with Sarah Palin?

Keep an eye out for an announcement about Keith being on Dancing with the Stars.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Jim Crandell

Keith Olberman is probably the most polarizing person in American politics today and is detested by those on the right. Last time I checked, America rejected his extreme left wing agenda.

I don't think posts that at all allude to his being fired should be allowed on here unless it pertains strictly to card collecting. In fact this should not be allowed in the watercooler section either under the rules that exist.

Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Rawn Hill

I really miss Keith and Dan Patrick on SportsCenter, that was a great team.

Rawn
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalillo View Post
Keith Olberman is probably the most polarizing person in American politics today and is detested by those on the right. Last time I checked, America rejected his extreme left wing agenda.

I don't think posts that at all allude to his being fired should be allowed on here unless it pertains strictly to card collecting. In fact this should not be allowed in the watercooler section either under the rules that exist.

Jim
From my stance Keith is another collector. IF you want to discuss the reasons he got let go, or left his job, and it doesn't get too political, then I am ok with it. What we won't have is an all out political discussion. That will get us no where and will get this thread locked. Keith has always been nice to me, in emails and dealings, so that is the way I will be to him. I can't say I know him too well but I tend to try to treat people that way they treat me. If this discussion gets political then expect it to end rather quickly. I am sure he will land on his feet somewhere when he wants to. regards
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Barry Sloate

There are very polarizing people on both sides of the debate. Let's not single out Keith. He's made tremendous contributions to our hobby and has written many fine articles about vintage card sets. I've known Keith since the early 1980's and he and I have had some great discussions about cards. I still have correspondence from him from about 1983-84 and he was very passionate even then. As Leon said, let's keep this positive.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Frank Wakefield

Jim and I are polarizing... maybe just Leon and Barry should post here, back and forth, to one another. Rush used to announce ball games, reckon he collects, too? He's a tad bit polarizing.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-23-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Jim and I are polarizing... maybe just Leon and Barry should post here, back and forth, to one another. Rush used to announce ball games, reckon he collects, too? He's a tad bit polarizing.
I have spoken on the phone with Barry probably hundreds of times. We have had political debates and discussions (privately) many, many times. So far we have never had anything close to a heated exchange, ever. We do disagree on a few things but we are both fairly moderate. I guess I am just an eternal optimist about having intelligent discourse without it getting heated. That being said, the board voted that we don't discuss politics here, or even in the general chat section. So that is the way it is. As far as saying that you don't have, or do have, sympathy for him losing his job, who cares? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you speak it rationally, without too much political motivation or hatred, then I see no harm in it. Now, it could get extreme and then something would maybe need to be done, but not if it doesn't go there. All in my humble opinion. I wish Keith well in the future.

Last edited by Leon; 01-23-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Jim Crandell

Frank,

No doubt Rush is polarizing and I would be very much against people talking about Rush or Sarah Palin or Obama or anything as it did not relate to cards.

I trust that Mr. Olbermann has made great contributions to the hobby and I think thats fine to talk about.

No political discussions from me.

Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Barry Sloate

Leon and I are a model of how someone from the left and someone from the right can have an intelligent discussion and share ideas. He makes good points and so do I, and sometimes we do disagree. But we never fight. Maybe the two of us should go on the campaign trail to show how it can be done.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Ray Novak

Keith Olberman has been around baseball cards a long time. His knowledge would be greatly appreciated, at least by me, if he decided to share it here. Heck, he's even referenced as "a collector" by Lew Lipset in the T206 section of Lew's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Frank Wakefield

Well maybe we're saying the same thing. If it is our fortune to have Mr. Olbermann post here about old cards, let us civilly welcome him, and keep it about cards.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 AM

It's too bad some choose to get a chip on their shoulder(s) about politics. But it seems endemic.

I for one would love to read any further Olbermann articles on vintage cards. Last time I saw anything recent was his post about a T209 pickup, which was short but sweet.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Let's just hope Keith doesn't mention graded/slabbed cards in his posts. Because then civility just might go out the window.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Frank Wakefield

Welcome, fellow polarizer.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Barry Sloate

Among Keith's better articles were the ones on the N300 Mayo set and T207's. Both were in early issues of SCD.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM

I'd also love to see Keith or someone print up a reprint set of the 9 cards that he has of players/poses that were excluded from the T206 series.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't mind reprint cards so long as they are clearly labeled "reprint" with the year on the back, so as to not confuse the market. I've used them as place holders for years until I've gotten an original of each T206 player (which seems endless, but part of the fun).

As to the 8 Southern Leaguers and batting pose Collins that Olbermann has, there could easily be a short run of those with a disclaimer at the bottom of the back saying that they were unreleased in the original 1909-11 T206 series, but promos were printed, then have them labeled as reprints, c. 2011.

I suppose the short answer to that is that some jerkoff will find a way to dirty them up, erase the disclaimer and sell them on eBay. I know that going in, but you can't stop a guy from dreaming. I'd love to just hold a copy of those nine cards in my hands.

Anyway, that's one instance of Olbermann's card knowledge combined with his monetary wealth that made sure those rare specimens were well cared for.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Welcome, fellow polarizer.
Judge for yourself.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Carry on

Keith is a personal fave of mine, and I'm certain he'll be back in the mix in plenty of time for the 2012 campaign. I also wouldn't be surprised if he finds another expressive outlet for his talents beyond cable TV. For now, I hope he enjoys his upcoming birthday.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Jeff

My guess is that if you lean left you like him and if not, not so much. Don't mistake him for a newsman however, he is as much of a bloviator as those on the right he seems to despise so much. To me there seems to be an inordinate amount of anger simmering right below the surface there, like how can so many Americans be so dumb as to not see what I can see so clearly.

Clearly a talented man whether it be sports related or politics. He'll land on his feet if he wants to. I won't miss him bc I never watched him that much. Clearly the most talented mouthpiece on that network though.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm very much a right winger, but this isnt a policial forum. So I say, welcome Keith! Your expertise would be greatly appreciated here! Good luck!

It's really only about the cards here anyway - isnt it?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Keith, now that you have some free time, please tune in to Geraldo At Large tonight on Fox News; I'll be ripping Obama a new one regardless of the topic.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Always been a Maddow fan myself, though I love Olbermann's rants on gay civil rights. In the realm of TV political op-ed, he'll be a missed voice, and I'm sure he'll be back.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM

The folks I admire most, generally speaking, are those who achieve significant success in more than one field of endeavor. Bill Bradley and Ted Turner come to mind.

In that sense, I admire Keith's success in political commentary, sports commentary and card collecting.

On the politics, Keith was quite obviously a very polarizing figure. For myself, his show would have been improved and more effective had it presented the issues in a more even-handed manner.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd welcome any collector of his stature here; lots of insights to be had I am sure. As for politics, well, I was and am a fan of his and will miss his show. Nuf ced.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Ryan Christoff

I'd just like to be the first to say Merkle Boner in this thread.

Thank you,

-Ryan
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Keith Olberman

Keith,

if your reading.....please sell me a t206 scrap or two!!i lost a few to you back in the day on ebay!!!sore loser here

Thanks

Johnny
Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I've never understood what politics (or religion) has to do with baseball cards.

I would welcome Keith to contribute to this forum regardless of his political leanings (or anybody else for that matter), I have done many a deal with Keith and he is reliable and as nice a guy as any I have ever dealt with. I wish him the best in whatever he does in the future.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-23-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Al

Dammit. I was just going to drop a Merkle boner in this thread, and once again, Ryan is quicker on the draw.

-Al
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Barry Arnold

Default keith o

welcome home, keith.
it will be good to have you back on board with us again.
all the best,

barry
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I've never understood what politics (or religion) has to do with baseball cards.
Not a thing.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Keith Olbermann Should Resign From SABR

In March of 2009, a total of 17 veterans of the Negro Leagues were elected to the Hall of Fame. Buck O'Neil and Minnie Minoso were not among them. This prompted the irascible Keith Olbermann to have a hissy fit, blaming this omission on SABR, and threatening to resign from SABR if they did not take action to reverse the vote and admit O'Neil and Minoso to the Hall, even though SABR had no direct role in selecting members for the Hall of Fame. Olbermann somehow held SABR accountable, in a vitriolic attack, because most of the voters on the selection committee did happen to be members of SABR. SABR, to their credit, took no action to acquiesce to Olbermann's demands. Olbermann should have lived up to his promise and resigned. To the surprise of no one, he has not resigned, and, as far as I know, he has not even made an apology to SABR for his vicious and unfounded remarks.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
In March of 2009, a total of 17 veterans of the Negro Leagues were elected to the Hall of Fame. Buck O'Neil and Minnie Minoso were not among them. This prompted the irascible Keith Olbermann to have a hissy fit, blaming this omission on SABR, and threatening to resign from SABR if they did not take action to reverse the vote and admit O'Neil and Minoso to the Hall, even though SABR had no direct role in selecting members for the Hall of Fame. Olbermann somehow held SABR accountable, in a vitriolic attack, because most of the voters on the selection committee did happen to be members of SABR. SABR, to their credit, took no action to acquiesce to Olbermann's demands. Olbermann should have lived up to his promise and resigned. To the surprise of no one, he has not resigned, and, as far as I know, he has not even made an apology to SABR for his vicious and unfounded remarks.
Not that I agree with the way he went about his response about the omission BUT it was absolutely unbelievable that O'Neil and, to a lesser extent, Minoso were not among the ones chosen but Effa Manley was--totally unforgivable in my opinion!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-23-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I'll just be honest and say it - I'd be star-struck if he hung around. Absolutely star struck.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM

I would happily welcome the participation of a hobby veteran like KO. Personally, I will miss his show on NBC. I have no doubt he will land somewhere else.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 01-23-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Ke.n K0hen

I would advise against disputing anything KO says regarding baseball cards lest you be deemed "Worst Person in the World."