NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Richard Simon

Default Let the bidding begin, how high can it go?

Derek Jeter's 3000 hit was a home run and wound up in the hands of someone wearing a Yankee cap in the left field stands.
Let the bidding begin
Any guesses as to how high it will go?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I don't think it leaves the Stadium...I'm pretty sure the Yankees will put together some ridiculous package to get it for Derek..
Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Ridiculous is right. The "package" will be worth far, far less than the ball's market value.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I don't think it leaves the Stadium...I'm pretty sure the Yankees will put together some ridiculous package to get it for Derek..
To quote Brian Cashman, the Yanks GM, "this is a business" when they asked him why he would not schedule a one admission doubleheader for today due to last nights rainout. There was an attempt by the Yankees to schedule a day-night doubleheader, obviously with two admissions.
I doubt if the Yankees will put together some ridiculous package for this ball, but I could be wrong.
I am sure the guy who caught it knows there is a big fat check waiting for him now.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Wow! He gave it back for nothing...They gave him a pretty cool package anyway.. No where near it's worth. But cool nonetheless.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Richard Simon

Very cool, they are interviewing him on TV now and he seems like a real fan and a nice guy.
They did give him a nice package, season tickets for the rest of the season incl. World Series and some memorabilia items.
There are already Steiner ads on TV selling commemorative bats for $129.99, get 'em while they're hot.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-09-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Dave

I have already gotten three emails from Steiner selling a ball, framed jersey, bat and litho each autographed for 5900.00
Old 07-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
I have already gotten three emails from Steiner selling a ball, framed jersey, bat and litho each autographed for 5900.00
The true meaning of $$$3000$$$ $$$hits$$$.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Christopher Williams

Very cool interview with the gentleman that caught the ball. The Steinbrenner's took care of him immediately. The guy didn't want anything (except maybe a Jeter signed bat) and he was rewarded. I'm sure he'll get some autographed items from Derek.

What a day for Derek. He gets hit number 3,000 on a home-run and drives in the winning run. No one could have scripted it any better.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Ya know, Derek is building a gazillion-square foot mansion in Florida. Here was this guy's chance to make his own family's life a bit easier, and he just gives it away. Should Derek have the ball? Of course. But Derek can well afford to pay for the ball, and he wouldn't miss one red cent. Shit, 1/10 of what Derek's gonna make on all the "3000 hit" crap would have set the poor slob up for life.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Oh, boy! Just received this email. Don't know why I received it--I certainly never expressed any interest in his manufactured crap. (Hope Brandon remembers to pay Derek his fair share.)

Trying To Order Derek Jeter 3000th Hit Product Over The Phone? Please Call One Of Our Reps Directly

Thank You for your interest in our Derek Jeter 3,000th hit product line, we want to take a moment to congratulate Derek Jeter once again. If, for any reason, you are having trouble reaching Steiner Sports through the 1-800-759-SCORE number, please contact your or any representative at their direct number below. Reps will be in the office until 7 PM Saturday July 9th and from 10 AM - 4PM on Sunday July 10th to field any questions, take orders or anything you may need.

Brett Schissler - 914 307 1075
Mike Tanella - 914 307 1012
Efrain Reyes - 914 307 1042
Eric Schwager - 914 307 1009
Corey Keyes - 914 307 1112
Joe Groglio - 914 307 1126
Ken McQuade - 914 307 1056
Chris Gabriele - 914 307 1015
Steve Blackman - 914 307 1026
JJ Molesso - 914 307 1057
Nick Tranfaglia - 914 307 1082
AJ Romeo 914 307 1100
Sean Mahoney - 914 307 1023
Brooks Cowan - 914 307 1004
Liz Martin - 914 307 1022
Justin Kramer - 914 307 1016
Crystal De Jesus - 914 307 1032
Noah Liiv - 914 307 1064
Zachary Karow - 914 307 1030

-

www.steinersports.com
Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Jeter 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Very cool interview with the gentleman that caught the ball. The Steinbrenner's took care of him immediately. The guy didn't want anything (except maybe a Jeter signed bat) and he was rewarded. I'm sure he'll get some autographed items from Derek.

What a day for Derek. He gets hit number 3,000 on a home-run and drives in the winning run. No one could have scripted it any better.
I believe that Jeter is only the 2nd major leaguer to hit a HR for hit # 3,000. Wade Boggs was the 1st, BTW....
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I believe that Jeter is only the 2nd major leaguer to hit a HR for hit # 3,000. Wade Boggs was the 1st, BTW....
Absolutely correct, Scott.

By the way, I would never buy anything from Steiner.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

David that move by Steiner and indirectly the Yankees cheapens the gesture made by the fan who caught Jeter's ball. I just emailed the Yankees informing them how classless that solicitation was. If I get a response I'll post it later.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Greg

Quote:
Absolutely correct, Scott.

By the way, I would never buy anything from Steiner.
I won't try again. Never got my auto ball and after repeated e-mails, I get 1 response saying it shipped 3 days(yeah sure they did) before they ran it through my CC. Lucky I could reverse the charges.

Last edited by Wihawk; 07-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 PM

before he gave the ball away he should have had a talk with steiner.... steiner prolly would have gotten him 1% share of ballclub.... the organazation knows they "stole" the ball from a fan... jeter makes 17 mill a year? that one game is more than 2 years salary for the fan and he gets what? the fans have to learn how to be greedy like the players... that ball was a lottery winning....just pisses me off how they take advantage of fans.... the players are probably having a good laugh...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco1801 View Post
before he gave the ball away he should have had a talk with steiner.... steiner prolly would have gotten him 1% share of ballclub.... the organazation knows they "stole" the ball from a fan... jeter makes 17 mill a year? that one game is more than 2 years salary for the fan and he gets what? the fans have to learn how to be greedy like the players... that ball was a lottery winning....just pisses me off how they take advantage of fans.... the players are probably having a good laugh...
Shocking as it might be, the fan's gesture seems to be a noble one, and he wanted all along to give the ball to Jeter.
Though he probably knew he was giving away a lot of money, he did not care.
Of all the people inolved in the $$$3000$$$ hit moment he is the one who comes out looking as good as anyone.
--
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Players having a good laugh at a gesture by a person who probably feels pretty good about himself for what he did??!! Seems to me that if that is the case, I feel pretty sorry for those players. I suspect this person has a pretty good sense of what its all about and what gives a person true meaning and happiness in life.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 AM

yeah and why did jeter hold out for more money when he was offered 10 million? he wanted 17 million.....wonder who the greedy people are? yeah he did the right thing, maybe jeter should have followed suit... ya think? just like the players say... you just get one payday, make it good...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Jeter will sell tons of memorabilia related to his 3000th hit --- and make a ton of money from it. Yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? The Yankees refused to give up one game's receipts as a gesture to their fans who missed Friday's game due to a rainout because, as Cashman said, 'we run a baseball business" -- yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? What a double standard. Jeter should have either given the guy a significant sum of cash or set up some trust for the guy's future kids or SOMETHING. Why is that a fan has to be noble to get respect but Jeter and the Yankees can continue to be pigs at the trough -- and we all expect such behavior?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Richard Simon

Jeter giving the guy some serious money would have been the right thing to do but do you really expect that will happen?
Probably not.
--
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
1% of the Yankees or being noble?

I'm thinking...

The guy gave Jeter the baseball because he "earned it." While he was earning it, he's made 100x more money than you will probably make in your life. I'm sorry, but as much as I want to be "noble," why would you just give it away? You could give it to Jeter, but at least work something out that's better than tickets for the rest of the season.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 PM

jeter makes roughly 35k an at bat... 5 at bats for the day=175,000 noble indeed... shameful... its outright theft, the yankees and jeter knew how valuable that ball is/was and offering tickets for the remaining games is criminal, without being represented by counsel. the yankee motto should be TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FANS... and by the way did the season tickets include free parking?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Matt Hall

At least the fan wasn't at Dodger Stadium, he would have had to throw the ball back in
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Dave

Wow, guess Jeter should have just drag bunted a single for his 3000th hit.

Would have made things much less complicated I guess.

Now he's a villain for not paying auction house high market value to get his ball back from a fan who wanted nothing in return.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Matt Hall

Yeah... I guess so
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Paul

Default Jeter's 3000th

Just a repeat of what most have said on here, is my opinion as well. Sell the 3000 hit ball. These multi, multi, multi million dollar players could afford to buy there ball for millions if they wanted it that bad. My guess is they wouldn't want it that bad anyway. Jeter already has the 3000th hit Jersey and bat anyway. Look at all the major awards and equipment the major sports stars put up at auction anyway. Many who won them no longer care to own most of it. From there Gold glove, MVP award, world series trophy & ring, ect. Most of it ends up at the auction block, because the players themselves realize how insane of prices people will pay. It's kind of funny how badly people want awards that were not won by themselves also. Yes, I realize it's there hero that they look up to them. Whatever makes people Happy!

Can others share stories of players and capitalizing on there memorabilia? One that comes to mind for me is when Pete Rose was going to break Ty Cobb's record, I heard he wore a different uniform each inning to sell them. Is this true?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:49 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

Now he's a villain for not paying auction house high market value to get his ball back from a fan who wanted nothing in return.

It's too bad that number 3000 didn't look something like Fausto Carmona last week.

http://1045theteam.com/fausto-carmon...tumbles-video/
Old 07-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Lou

I'll bet that that guy has second thoughts after some reflection on his noble deed! Lou
Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM

The guy is happy right? All that matters. The end.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
The guy is happy right? All that matters. The end.
Exactly!
He becomes a celebrity and hangs out w/ Jeter on his historic day.
You can't put that into $

Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

That's right. He's a villain for taking advantage of the poor schmuck.

Remember 1961? (I know fifty years is a long time.) Sal Durante, who caught Maris' 61st, offered to give it to Maris, even though a California restaurateur had a standing offer of $5k for the ball. Maris wouldn't accept the ball, and told Durante--who was about to get married and start a family--to sell it.

Class acts, all around.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Jeter will sell tons of memorabilia related to his 3000th hit --- and make a ton of money from it. Yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? The Yankees refused to give up one game's receipts as a gesture to their fans who missed Friday's game due to a rainout because, as Cashman said, 'we run a baseball business" -- yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? What a double standard. Jeter should have either given the guy a significant sum of cash or set up some trust for the guy's future kids or SOMETHING. Why is that a fan has to be noble to get respect but Jeter and the Yankees can continue to be pigs at the trough -- and we all expect such behavior?
+1
Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Brock

I think its pretty bad how some of you are acting and blaming the Yankees and Jeter for no reason. The guy didn't want money, he knew what it is worth before hand. So after the guy said no to money, Jeter nor the Yankees should have to give money.

Jeter didn't take advantage of shit, the guy gave him the ball. So why should Jeter then give money for when he didnt ask for anything... End of story
Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Did you see my post, Brock? Durante didn't want any money, either.

Maris knew the right thing to do.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Brock

Yes I saw your post. But because Jeter didn't off money that doesn't make him a villain or ripped the guy off or anything.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Uhh... Yeah, he did rip the guy off. He took advantage of the guy's hero worship. What would it have cost him to do the right thing? He certainly has no compunction against disappointing his fans by holding out for all he can get. He just couldn't get anymore elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Brock

David,
He did not rip him off. Jeter has no obligation to pay the guy when the guy is giving him the ball and asked for nothing in return. It doesn't matter if Jeter makes 17 million or 10 bucks. And how do we know that something wasnt exchanged behind closed doors.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Christopher Williams

The truth is we have no idea if Derek has already done something (aside from the 6-8 autograph items that I believe he gave the gentleman) or will do something for Mr. Lopez. There is a good chance that something will be done in a very discreet fashion.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM

No. He's not obligated to be other than a selfish narcissistic prick.
But he could be otherwise if he wanted to.

That poor schmuck is the same guy Jeter ignores when he begs for an autograph on a Manhattan street. Yet it's fine with Jeet for the poor slob to sacrifice his own financial future for one moment in the spotlight with his smiling idol.

F#*k him.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The truth is we have no idea if Derek has already done something (aside from the 6-8 autograph items that I believe he gave the gentleman) or will do something for Mr. Lopez. There is a good chance that something will be done in a very discreet fashion.
Yeah, right. These guys pay publicists hundreds of thousands a year so that they can avoid good publicity.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-10-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Yeah, right. These guys pay publicists hundreds of thousands a year so that they can avoid good publicity.
Derek has never been one for publicity and I do believe that something will be done by Derek for Mr. Christian in a discreet manner.

I'm sure glad I don't have your attitude, David.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 PM

You're free to believe whatever you want. My attitude? I'm sick to death of spending $400+ to take my kids to one stinkin' ballgame, while these guys build themselves gaziliion-square-foot mansions, sell their fans millions of dollars worth of manufactured celebratory crap, and all the while having as little contact with their fans--the people who make it all possible--as they possibly can.

Once again, f#@k 'em.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
You're free to believe whatever you want. My attitude? I'm sick to death of spending $400+ to take my kids to one stinkin' ballgame, while these guys build themselves gaziliion-square-foot mansions, sell their fans millions of dollars worth of manufactured celebratory crap, and all the while having as little contact with their fans--the people who make it all possible--as they possibly can.

Once again, f#@k 'em.
Well, Dave, then stop going to games. These ballplayers get what they get because they can.

Dave, if you go to work tomorrow and your boss decides to triple your salary, are you going to refuse the salary increase?

I no longer go to games anymore because the prices are outrageous and I won't pay it. Whether it be the price of a ticket, parking or hot dogs, it's all ridiculous.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Chris, I don't care if I never go to another game. Luckily for me, I was a kid at the right time. I spent much of that time at the real Yankee Stadium, going to games, and/or hanging out at the player's entrance, getting autographs. Those times are long gone, and the Stadium is, too.

But my kids, who don't know any better, want to go to the ballpark. Should I say no?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Chris, I don't care if I never go to another game. Luckily for me, I was a kid at the right time. I spent much of that time at the real Yankee Stadium, going to games, and/or hanging out at the player's entrance, getting autographs. Those times are long gone, and the Stadium is, too.

But my kids, who don't know any better, want to go to the ballpark. Should I say no?
Dave, times have changed. Friends have told me that the new stadium isn't as nearly as noisy as it once was and that's probably due to the fact that the blue-collar (and some white-collar) working people can no longer afford to go there any more.

Watch the game on TV and as the camera scans the stadium all you see are people on the cell phones; they aren't even paying attention to the game.

"The times they are a changin."
Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I think its pretty bad how some of you are acting and blaming the Yankees and Jeter for no reason. The guy didn't want money, he knew what it is worth before hand. So after the guy said no to money, Jeter nor the Yankees should have to give money.

Jeter didn't take advantage of shit, the guy gave him the ball. So why should Jeter then give money for when he didnt ask for anything... End of story
I'm not sure the guy knew how much that ball was worth... Not everybody knows the crazy money people pay for these things.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Once again, f#@k 'em.
While I'm not sure what I'd do with it, I feel your pain David.

As a life long Dodger fan who cancelled season tickets years ago. First, cut to a 20 game package, then a 10 game, then ala carte 5 games a year till McCourt came. Then I was done. I use the extra money now to collect.

The $15 parking got me at the time when he increased it from $7. So, I mostly travel to a ballpark or 2 a year and don't go to Dodger Stadium anymore despite the fact that my Dad worked on the building of it, amongst many more "unbelievable" memories. But they will have to stay memories.

I might have kept the ball for a little while at least to see how many special favors I could get from the wife, she's a Yankee Fan.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM
James

Default verrry high

how about demanding favors from one of derek jeter's assuredly hot girlfriends?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The Yankees do nothing for their fans but suck their blood. It's sad but it's true. How many "3000 hit" t-shirts, baseballs, mugs, commemorative plaques, hats, etc. were on sale within minutes after Derek got the hit? The Yankees -- and Jeter -- are going to make zillions off it and they are the last on earth who need more money. And yet this poor kid is only getting his 15 minutes? And some signed items? How about Derek's signature on a check? I know it's unseemly to turn this just into a money grab...but isn't that what the Yankees do to us 365 days a year? Why shouldn't turnabout be fair play? Just one time!