NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM
John Wondowski

Default Identification help please - Everlast?

I picked up a small lot of "photos" on ebay this week and I can't identify them. They measure 5" x 7 1/16 and are glossy - definitely from 30s-40s. I found the Everlast section in Adam's book, and these seem to fit except that the size is wrong and only one of the five (Schmelling) has the distinctive name scripting. I scanned the Schmelling and the Johnson below. The other boxers are Pedro Montanez, Henry Armstrong, Abe Attell, and Tommy Farr. Any information is appreciated - thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnson.jpg (71.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Schmeling.jpg (70.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Schmeling definitely. Johnson does not appear to be. All of the Everlast pieces feature the Everlast label somewhere in there, either stripped in or plainly visible on the fighter's gloves or trunks. No logo, most likely not an Everlast piece. You can see it on Schmeling's glove where the logo has been inserted into the image. Here is an example where the image is not altered but the logos are visible:

Here is an advert from an Everlast annual [1930] offering photos for sale. Johnson is not listed. Ironically, the image in the ad doesn't have the logo or the name plate/ID, but every one of these I've been able to ID as an Everlast piece has had both elements.

I'd really like to see the others.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-27-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 AM
John Wondowski

Here's the Ebay listing:

Let me know any ideas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Coll...vip=true&rt=nc

There is no doubt in my mind that these pix are all the same origin and vintage. Would you like for me to send these to you, Adam?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Dave

Likely send-aways of some sort. Just about every boxing related publication of that time period had a section to order photos of past and present boxers out of. Most of the photos coming from multiple different sources unrelated to the publication itself.

All of those are pretty common poses except the Montanez and perhaps the Attell.

Nice score for the price though. The word "reproduction" probably drove plenty of clicks away from the auction. They are technically reproductions I guess, but they do seem vintage to the mid-1930's or so.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree with Dave as to age and likely origins; I have items issued from several boxing publications. Whether to classify them as photos or premiums is the nit I have yet to competently pick. Here's a Tommy Gibbons from The Boxing Blade:

Here is one of those impossible to ID ones:

1969 from the New York Weekly Boxing News:

I'd definitely treat the Schmeling as an Everlast. The reason I am reluctant to characterize items without an Everlast logo as such is that they went to the trouble of adding art to the pics where art wasn't visible. Every one I have cataloged has an Everlast label somewhere...

Don't be fooled by the size. I've found the Everlast art images at various sizes from PC up to 8 x 10. I have some on my site in various sizes. Now, they could have been reprinted but until I have evidence of that I am OK with labeling them as Everlast pieces.

You got a deal regardless of what they are. For a buck a pop you can't go wrong. Every one is a HOFer. Heck, I'd give you two bucks each for them

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-27-2014 at 05:28 PM.