NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Default Values on the rise for pre-war?

What specific vintage cards are increasing in value?

For post-war, I feel like I've seen the 1951 bowman Mantle and 1955 topps Clemente pop within a year. The Mantle more recently, the Clemente for awhile now. For pre-war, I'm having a harder time identifying what is trending due to lower volume of sales. Certainly 1914 CJs are going up, up, up, but what else? Or is the market flat?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Sean Costello

Referring to the set that I collect (T206) the high end stuff always seems to go up. The popular players (Cobb, etc.), rare backs, and other set rarities remain in demand. The market for lesser players and common backs seems rather flat to me.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Jesse

I feel the 14 CJ's have quieted down since they spiked about 6 months ago. Still have some strong prices on the less common n bigger name cards. But overall they have def cooled off from what they were doing. I know mantle and ruth stuff continues to be hot. When are they not haha. Besides that I feel stuff is at a lull right now. Nothing really going from what I can see.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

In a lull it is. Even the 1933 Goudey Ruths seem to be somewhat flat. Some hit the market in the PWCC auction and went a little above, a little below and right on value.

Good point on the CJs flattening out about 6 months ago. Guess it was all the documentation on the 100th anniversary that riled folks up. I know it had me looking at my 1915s and wondering if I should trade some out for a cool factor 1914 (but didn't want to buy high).

As tough as pre-war can be to track, the 19th century stuff is just about impossible (for me). There are so few that they constantly look up and down at the same time due to a couple sales here n there.

Looking forward to seeing more action in the market once baseball season gears up. I know the pre-war stuff is year-round market for the die hards, but general baseball hype does seem to have an effect anyhow.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post

Good point on the CJs flattening out about 6 months ago. Guess it was all the documentation on the 100th anniversary that riled folks up. I know it had me looking at my 1915s and wondering if I should trade some out for a cool factor 1914 (but didn't want to buy high).
Mark it down, my case of 1987 Topps will be ON FIRE in 2087!!! I'll be long gone, but still...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Mark it down, my case of 1987 Topps will be ON FIRE in 2087!!! I'll be long gone, but still...
We have an optimist in our midst !
Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Jesse

Let's be honest here, this is a time to be buying while things are quiet and slow. Maybe make a few decent pick ups to move later on. Only wish I knew what this years 14 CJ's going to be haha.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

All it will take is a couple hundred million more to hit the trash can lol

Quote:
Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
All it will take is a couple hundred million more to hit the trash can lol
what is the most any graded 1987 topps card has sold for in the past 5 years?
Old 02-15-2015, 04:37 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Not sure about 1987 Topps, but a 1986 Topps Jerry Rice recently sold for $12K: Link
Old 02-15-2015, 04:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Not sure about 1987 Topps, but a 1986 Topps Jerry Rice recently sold for $12K: Link
so maybe it wouldn't of been a bad idea to save those 1987 topps football when everyone pre-bubble thought they would be worth keeping..maybe they were right! maybe the bubble never burst..

(incidentally I checked the Rice link... Four bid retractions? when the card was in the 10k range? fishy?)

was asking about 1987 topps baseball actually though...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-15-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You know if that case was literally on fire now, it would eventually help the prices down the line. Do the right thing for the people who still have a lot of them.

As for T206 commons, it seems like there are cards considered commons that keep going up, first Titus, then Pelty/Horiz. and Doyle, no Nat'l sells for a lot more than commons. The Magee portrait prices are high and I've seen some odd prices recently for some cards considered easy to find like the Elberfeld NY card that someone posted here recently.

I've heard for awhile that Puttman cards are tough to find and the prices seem to reflect that, but I could see that being the next card that takes off. You look on Ebay and there has only been two listed in the last six weeks(one is active and high-priced). If I had an extra, I'd probably list it on Ebay with a high price and see if anyone bites. Eventually, that high price, might not seem high.

I also think people are looking for specific front/back combos that don't have many graded and paying more. Not sure how many people are going after a master set, but it sure seems like some people pay like they are.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Greg Mitchell

Maybe high-graded CJ 15s will bd this year's CJ 14s--the prices on some PSA 8s have really soared lately.

Disappointed that prices on M116s and Ramlys continue to collapse, despite being "cool" cards...

Old Judges seem to keep falling....
Old 02-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Pelty horizontal has always sold at a premium. Besides general attractiveness of the format and image it is a Jewish player and I think it is a 150-only card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The Pelty horizontal has always sold at a premium. Besides general attractiveness of the format and image it is a Jewish player and I think it is a 150-only card.
The prices jumped about a year or so ago. I saw the prices starting to go up and looked to grab a couple for the "normal" prices and every one just kept going higher. It leveled off a few months ago and the prices are down a little, but still higher than a couple years ago
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
You know if that case was literally on fire now, it would eventually help the prices down the line. Do the right thing for the people who still have a lot of them.

As for T206 commons, it seems like there are cards considered commons that keep going up, first Titus, then Pelty/Horiz. and Doyle, no Nat'l sells for a lot more than commons. The Magee portrait prices are high and I've seen some odd prices recently for some cards considered easy to find like the Elberfeld NY card that someone posted here recently.

I've heard for awhile that Puttman cards are tough to find and the prices seem to reflect that, but I could see that being the next card that takes off. You look on Ebay and there has only been two listed in the last six weeks(one is active and high-priced). If I had an extra, I'd probably list it on Ebay with a high price and see if anyone bites. Eventually, that high price, might not seem high.

I also think people are looking for specific front/back combos that don't have many graded and paying more. Not sure how many people are going after a master set, but it sure seems like some people pay like they are.
+1 on the tougher T206 commons. Another one that seems to be tough lately is Bull Durham...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The prices jumped about a year or so ago. I saw the prices starting to go up and looked to grab a couple for the "normal" prices and every one just kept going higher. It leveled off a few months ago and the prices are down a little, but still higher than a couple years ago
These aren't mine, but might explain the jump in price:

Last edited by asoriano; 02-15-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Default Pelted

Wow...certainly shows you how 'common' even tougher T206 cards are.

Brian
Old 02-15-2015, 08:51 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

as people have been focused on t206 oddities, the oddities in other sets have been on the rise as well.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
These aren't mine, but might explain the jump in price:

That is possible that 118 belonging to one person could send the prices up. While it is a common card, that is still likely a decent % of the population, somewhere between 5-10%. I was originally thinking that people who do a back run of a player drive the prices up a little, as long as multiple people are doing it, but that is likely wrong because the common backs would still be plentiful and you wouldn't notice a price jump on them.

I know some people hate hoarding, but that is still pretty cool looking laid out like that. I only have two Pelty cards, one in my set and one has a split back and is missing red on front, but I was checking Ebay often once the prices started to jump, looking for someone to post with a low BIN.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
"Insane!!!!!!!"

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Yeah, well, Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver in NFL history, and that's a rookie card. Clearly it's overpriced by any of our standards, but it does make more sense than this:

http://smalltraditions.com/1986-topp...r-lot2473.aspx
Old 02-16-2015, 01:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
That is possible that 118 belonging to one person could send the prices up. While it is a common card, that is still likely a decent % of the population, somewhere between 5-10%. I was originally thinking that people who do a back run of a player drive the prices up a little, as long as multiple people are doing it, but that is likely wrong because the common backs would still be plentiful and you wouldn't notice a price jump on them.

I know some people hate hoarding, but that is still pretty cool looking laid out like that. I only have two Pelty cards, one in my set and one has a split back and is missing red on front, but I was checking Ebay often once the prices started to jump, looking for someone to post with a low BIN.
I actually have some normal 1952 topps commons guys that I have 25-40% of the PSA 7-8 population...haven't seen prices go up..but will eventually post a picture with all the cards like the pelty....wasn't looking to drive prices up just liked the look of the cards and kept buying them

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-16-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

That 1986 Sandberg brings up this old question...

Could certain card pops be low simply b/c no one thinks they are worth submitting? Won't the market get flooded after a sale like this w/ folks submitting theirs to try and cash in on the trend and cause the values to come crashing back down to reality? I probably donated cards like this because they were not worth the cardboard they were printed on. Could someone interested in playing the odds simply submit a couple hundred top condition value-less star cards for a few thousand and then sell 2 or 3 of those hundreds of cards for $1,000s and toss the rest in the garbage? Could it be that simple?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
That 1986 Sandberg brings up this old question...

Could certain card pops be low simply b/c no one thinks they are worth submitting? Won't the market get flooded after a sale like this w/ folks submitting theirs to try and cash in on the trend and cause the values to come crashing back down to reality? I probably donated cards like this because they were not worth the cardboard they were printed on. Could someone interested in playing the odds simply submit a couple hundred top condition value-less star cards for a few thousand and then sell 2 or 3 of those hundreds of cards for $1,000s and toss the rest in the garbage? Could it be that simple?
Not that I ever think they will be worth money, but I know there are a lot less 1989 Topps Traded commons than there are cards of Griffey because there was a person that broke up thousands of sets and graded all the Griffey cards. He sold some of the other stars in huge groups and trashed the commons. I'm sure other people have done the same, though I doubt they did it in the bulk that he did.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 PM

Default T206 Plank on the rise

Eddie Plank T206 prices are on the rise from recent sales in all grades. The T206 Plank has a population almost as low as the T206 Wagner. People are realizing the plank is an undervalued card as plank is an all time great hall of fame pitcher.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 AM
Glyn Parson

Default i say

no way is 118 copies even remotely close to 10% of the population. i don't even think its close to 5%.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
no way is 118 copies even remotely close to 10% of the population. i don't even think its close to 5%.
5% would mean there are 2360 copies out there of a card that is only found in the 150 series. That number is too high considering most people believe the easy to find commons numbers between 2000-3000. 10% would mean there are 1180 out there which is probably not close either, but I said "somewhere between" those two numbers because I didn't want to guess 6.2% or 7.1%, so I just ballparked it. I would guess it's actually between 6-7% to put in a better estimate.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 AM

I see stuff like $2,400+ for a 1986 Topps Ryne Sandberg ... and it makes me wonder what is wrong with this hobby.

You're telling me that a card that can be bought in NM (or better) condition every single day on Ebay for $1 (plus what whatever for shipping) is worth and additional $2,400 because it is entombed in a plastic case saying it is a 10? Seriously? I get the four corners look better under a microscope, but you think you should pay a premium for that? You can't think of anything better to spend $2,400 on?

Everyday I wonder how I can be involved in a hobby where people are willing to spend their money like that.
Patrick
Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
I see stuff like $2,400+ for a 1986 Topps Ryne Sandberg ... and it makes me wonder what is wrong with this hobby.

You're telling me that a card that can be bought in NM (or better) condition every single day on Ebay for $1 (plus what whatever for shipping) is worth and additional $2,400 because it is entombed in a plastic case saying it is a 10? Seriously? I get the four corners look better under a microscope, but you think you should pay a premium for that? You can't think of anything better to spend $2,400 on?

Everyday I wonder how I can be involved in a hobby where people are willing to spend their money like that.
Patrick
Patrick, just take the same approach that I take: don't spend your money on 1986 Topps cards, and make fun of those who do.
Then I can spend it on a T206 with a printing flaw instead.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Ben Morton

Regarding 86 Topps Football - I have been watching the prices on unopened boxes, and they are up 200-300% in the last few months.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:55 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Regarding 86 Topps Football - I have been watching the prices on unopened boxes, and they are up 200-300% in the last few months.
Not only is this not a modern card section..but it is not a football section either?

Keep this shit where it belongs dammit!!!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Not only is this not a modern card section..but it is not a football section either?

Keep this shit where it belongs dammit!!!!!
So, Pete. Would it be inappropriate for me to discuss unopened boxes of Pokémon cards in this thread?

Best regards,

Eric
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post

Patrick
its still good for the hobby that the psa 10s are going for big money....gets people involved..some may then buy psa 9s etc.....never a bad thing for people to pay big money on cards.....as $1 cards are still there for us to be happy with.....economy is doing well I guess...
Old 02-17-2015, 04:22 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
its still good for the hobby that the psa 10s are going for big money....gets people involved..some may then buy psa 9s etc.....never a bad thing for people to pay big money on cards.....as $1 cards are still there for us to be happy with.....economy is doing well I guess...
I don't see how a $2400 '86 Sandberg is good for the hobby.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:24 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
So, Pete. Would it be inappropriate for me to discuss unopened boxes of Pokémon cards in this thread?

Best regards,

Eric
as long as they are prewar pokemon...that is fine...just seems like maybe this section should be re categorized like ebay as all kinds of modern crap is discussed routinely.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
I don't see how a $2400 '86 Sandberg is good for the hobby.
I don't see how its bad for the hobby.....anyone that wants a raw sandberg can get it or even one that's a psa 8 or 9......why not let someone who values a psa 10 pay for it...you figure if you have a cy young or other more established card in hand then it doesn't hurt that a 1986 card can go for 2400 in terms of value of your old vintage card..maybe the sale wont help it..but it wont hurt...

people with money buying cards is never a bad thing..
Old 02-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I don't see how its bad for the hobby.....anyone that wants a raw sandberg can get it or even one that's a psa 8 or 9......why not let someone who values a psa 10 pay for it...you figure if you have a cy young or other more established card in hand then it doesn't hurt that a 1986 card can go for 2400 in terms of value of your old vintage card..maybe the sale wont help it..but it wont hurt...

people with money buying cards is never a bad thing..
I kinda agree. It means the hobby is strong especially among the set registry folks.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
as long as they are prewar pokemon...that is fine...just seems like maybe this section should be re categorized like ebay as all kinds of modern crap is discussed routinely.
Pete,

I guess it depends on which war we're discussing. Obviously, Pokémon is modern. Still, boxes of '86 Topps Football are nearly 30 years old. For some collectors, that goes way back to the olden days.

I am obviously messing with you at this point. Please take my posts for what they are. A bit of levity directed towards someone who will (hopefully) get the joke.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default pre war

This one goes way back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pokee.jpg (2.5 KB, 417 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
This one goes way back
Pokeman played for the Yankees, it would seem. This must be on Old-timers Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg index.jpeg (8.9 KB, 460 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 02-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:05 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

T210s seem to be getting more and more popular
Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
This is the kind of stuff I like to see. I think it would be great if some investors (or syndicates) bought up particular pre-war cards and started controlling the market on them. If an individual (or syndicate) had 90% of the population of a particular card controlled they could technically destroy a large percentage of the lower grades to accomplish what I could see as almost a dollar for dollar transfer of value to the remaining cards... Thats what I'm talking about since we don't have enough natural vintage card destruction anymore
I am all in favor of t206 destruction...i have a handful of "hostages" as we speak...awaiting their inevitable fate!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Could I just grab 1,000 valueless star cards in perfect shape and send em off for a few grand and come out ahead on the flip?

Could the system be gamed this way?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
This is the kind of stuff I like to see. I think it would be great if some investors (or syndicates) bought up particular pre-war cards and started controlling the market on them. If an individual (or syndicate) had 90% of the population of a particular card controlled they could technically destroy a large percentage of the lower grades to accomplish what I could see as almost a dollar for dollar transfer of value to the remaining cards... Thats what I'm talking about since we don't have enough natural vintage card destruction anymore

Better yet: don't destroy em. Hold em. When the price goes up, flood the market and run!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 PM
T0dd M@rcum

But there are many cards from the 80s where not a single specimen in a grade "1" exist. Is this not a great investment opportunity?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 AM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
T210s seem to be getting more and more popular
I've noticed this too