NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-13-2020, 08:47 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Incredible sale....best ever

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133403605033

What the ...is going on here
Old 05-13-2020, 10:06 AM

It was two bidders each with less than 100 feedback that got it up to $9,100 but there is a third bidder with 620 feedback that bid $1,875 who is probably legitimate. Possibly two whales who need it for their registry set but's it's not very plausible.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:33 AM
Al Richter

Having a set of these myself, it would be great if this was legit, but I do have a question about the card. Most of the cards in my set are ungraded. But a couple are still encased. I have seen sevreral cards like this one that are highly graded with smooth or straight top and bottom borders.

All of the 3 card perforated strips I have seen produce cards that are uneven on one end ( both ends are uneven on middle cards ). Are not cards with straight top and bottom borders trimmed to get them that way ?

I have never seen an uncut sheet of these cards, just 3 card panels that most often were sold in 3 panels of 3 cards in a cello like pack. I have one of those. I am aware that wax packs exist. I do not have one. But one has been on eBay for awhile. Not sure how many cards are in those packs or if they have perforations. Maybe Larry knows
Old 05-13-2020, 12:20 PM

According to WorthPoint the same exact card sold in March 2014, May 2016, and May 2017 all on eBay. The scan of the March 2014 it looks like the perforations are visible on the bottom of the card but not on any scans of the card afterward. I’m currently on my phone so I’m not getting the best views possible.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:21 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mantle punchout

Best guess is the bidders thought it was a mantle punchout because he put mantle in the title
A PSA 6 of chico salmon is $100 or so
Cello pack has 2 strips of 3 cards...if card has no nubs then was shaved off
Wax pack recent find...not sure if 2 or 3 cards
But would be interested to know if those single cards have nubs...need someone to open 1
Old 05-13-2020, 04:12 PM

This card gets around. From WorthPoint, the first scan is March 2014 with the perforations visible on the bottom, the second scan is from May 2016, the third scan is from May 2017 and appears to be the same scan as 2016, and then finally from eBay the fourth scan May 2020. Did someone bust it out between 2014 and 2016, gave it a micro trim eliminating the perforation tabs, get it regraded and it still came back a 6? ETA: the scans from 2014 and 2016 show the same identical scratch or blemish in the lower right corner area, I now believe that the card settled and shifted down into the plastic ledge at the bottom of the card and that is why the perforated tabs are no longer visible, they are being hidden by that plastic ledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 punch salmon mar 14.jpg (42.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 67 punch salmon may 16.jpg (81.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 67 punch salmon may 17.jpg (81.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 67 punch salmon may 20.jpg (77.5 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 05-13-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-13-2020, 04:31 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

How could it get the same serial#
The bottom picture you should be able to see the nubs
Doesn't explain the 9000 bid..lol
Bottom left corner of card is missing upper layer in 4th picture...not missing in 1st picture

Last edited by sflayank; 05-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Howard Chasser

Default My guess is ...

Someone is playing games re: the price

For fun someone should email the seller and say they forgot to bid and to contact them if the sale falls through

While some of the master set holders could be better educated about some of what they buy, I can't see 2 of them making this big a mistake!

No speculation on the nubs.