NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-20-2022, 11:12 AM
David M.

Default DiMaggio and Berra for Williams?

I just read something that I don't think I had ever seen before.

"In 1947, DiMaggio won his third MVP award and his sixth World Series with the Yankees. That year, Boston Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey and Yankees GM Larry MacPhail verbally agreed to trade DiMaggio for Ted Williams, but the trade was cancelled when MacPhail refused to include Yogi Berra."

Talk about a blockbuster trade. How do you think that would have changed things for both teams?

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 04-20-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:31 AM

At that point a straight up deal would have been a steal for the Yankees in hindsight, but if the Red Sox also got Berra then it would have been in the top ten on the all time list of worst trades in history on the part of the Yankees also in hindsight.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:40 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post

"In 1947, DiMaggio won his third MVP award and his sixth World Series with the Yankees. That year, Boston Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey and Yankees GM Larry MacPhail verbally agreed to trade DiMaggio for Ted Williams, but the trade was cancelled when MacPhail refused to include Yogi Berra."

Talk about a blockbuster trade. How do you think that would have changed things for both teams?
The myth/rumor/story whatever you want to call it, was that they agreed to a straight swap of DiMaggio for Williams over drinks, and then once Yawkey wanted another player (I've read it as Berra in some cases, and Rizzuto in others) the deal was off.

Assuming it was indeed Berra, I think things play out pretty well for both sides. Sure DiMaggio only had four years left in the tank, but Berra had his entire career in front of him. I'd think that maybe the Yankees slide Williams into Right Field, strictly because the dimensions of Yankee Stadium at the time. I do think in either scenario the loss of Scooter, would effect the Yankees less than the loss of Berra would.

I think Ted hits even better than he did with the Red Sox, if that's possible. His penchant for pulling the ball adds some more homers to his ledger for sure. I think the other interesting ripple, is how this trade, impacts the career of Mickey Mantle. No DiMaggio means Mantle is in center for the 51 series (I would assume the Yankees still make it that year) which means he does not trip on the drain, and blow out his knee.

I always love these fun what ifs. One thing is for certain if the straight, one for one, swap of DiMaggio for Williams happened, The Yankees are most definitely even more dominant in the 1950's, which says something considering they won six titles that decade!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:40 PM
Steve

Default If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post

Since time and space are not subject to human deal-making, no one could possibly foresee the consequences of such a trade, but I like to think that Williams would soon become so fed up and infuriated with the NY press that he would reenter the Marine Corps in 1950 and stay there until the Yankees agreed to trade him to the Cleveland Indians. Berra would probably enjoy a productive career in Boston, and I imagine DiMaggio prolonging his career into the mid-50's just to stick it to MacPhail and pad his WS stats with the Sox. Meanwhile, Frank Costanza would succeed MacPhail as Yankees GM in 1953 and agree to a Williams for Rudy Regalado swap that NY sports writers and fans lament to this day.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:02 PM
David M.

I guess the other thing that I wonder is how much would Ted Williams cards be valued at if he had been traded to the Yankees, versus were they are now? Do you think they would be on par with Mantle?

Now all we need is JollyElm (D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs) to make a fantasy card of Williams as a Yankee.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 04-20-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:04 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
…..I do think in either scenario the loss of Scooter, would effect the Yankees less than the loss of Berra would…..
Keep in mind that the Yankees also had Sherm Lollar at the time and was traded to the Browns in 48’. IMHO had Berra moved to Boston Sherm would have shined bright.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:31 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

I don't think Williams would have had a problem with the New York press at all. His problems up to that point stemmed from the fact that, inexplicably to modern day viewers, the Boston press had generally decided to belittle, criticize and denigrate Williams. His dislike of the Boston press was well-founded.

By contract, the New York press, with rare exceptions, tended to be supportive, even fawning. They had fallen over one another lionizing DiMaggio, in spite of the fact that he was cold, unfriendly and generally antisocial. Williams would have been a breath of fresh air to the NYC reporters. He was talkative, profane and colorful.