NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2022, 10:16 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Default Goldin T2o6 McCormick Collection 950+ cards...

Do we know the winning bidder on this one? I gave it some consideration (wife probably wouldn't have been my wife anymore lol). How great would it be to come up 950 t206's (66 Hindu backs) all in one fell swoop? I'm wondering if we'll see the market flooded with McCormick stamped backs and SLer Hindus?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221014-090110_Chrome.jpg (149.4 KB, 749 views)
Old 10-18-2022, 03:24 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Default Because I can't sleep...

Thinking about the value of this lot:

66 Hindu (mostly SLers) × $1,200ea = $79k
20 HoFers × $300ea = $6k
865 Remaining × $50ea = $43k

Purchase price $97k
Rough individual resale value $128k

Obviously these are ball park numbers. And grading would have a significant impact...but 20% to 30% return on $100k, be it an investor or a collector, this was a really awesome lot.

Agree/Disagree with the numbers?
Old 10-18-2022, 04:22 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFire82 View Post

20 HoFers × $300ea = $6k

Purchase price $97k

Obviously these are ball park numbers. And grading would have a significant impact...but 20% to 30% return on $100k, be it an investor or a collector, this was a really awesome lot.

That is an impressive valuation and a nice upsale potential. Hopefully it went to a collector and not an investor.
As an investor if you did it as an Individual resale there is alot of time and effort but some nice money potential

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-18-2022, 05:30 AM
Jamie

Quote:

20 HoFers × $300ea = $6k

Purchase price $97k

I would assume the selling platform charge a fee for some these.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:06 AM
Jim Parker

those are pretty close to the numbers i would use to evaluate the resale value...maybe $1000 per hindu just to be more conservative...and at least 10% would be eaten by resale platform (if using here and fb, it will take a very long time). That brings it mostly to a wash....

fyi, The lot did NOT go to the collector that is accumulating the mccormick stamps. Word is these were sold as a group by mccormick's family back in the 70s to the dealer that just sold them thru goldin.

My bet is that dean bought them.

- jp
Old 10-18-2022, 09:36 AM
Drew W@i$e

Someone got a great deal on this lot.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:11 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Guess that answers that !
Congratulations on the amazing pickup Steve 👍
Old 10-23-2022, 01:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj33 View Post
those are pretty close to the numbers i would use to evaluate the resale value...maybe $1000 per hindu just to be more conservative...and at least 10% would be eaten by resale platform (if using here and fb, it will take a very long time). That brings it mostly to a wash....

fyi, The lot did NOT go to the collector that is accumulating the mccormick stamps. Word is these were sold as a group by mccormick's family back in the 70s to the dealer that just sold them thru goldin.

My bet is that dean bought them.

- jp
Do we know if as that collector has been accumulating them, he knew of this huge group that was out there?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:47 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Do we know if as that collector has been accumulating them, he knew of this huge group that was out there?
Unless there are multiple such collectors, I think there was even an effort to start up a gofundme around here.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-23-2022, 01:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The McCormick collector made the original thread after the auction house listed this batch as if it was his collection and completely lied in the original version of the listing.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The McCormick collector made the original thread after the auction house listed this batch as if it was his collection and completely lied in the original version of the listing.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ight=mccormick

What if you recall did he say originally?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:13 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

I think the original auction listing talked about how the collector had painstakingly pieced together his collection, with copious assistance from fellow collectors online over ~20+ years.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I think the original auction listing talked about how the collector had painstakingly pieced together his collection, with copious assistance from fellow collectors online over ~20+ years.
Ah got it. Well, it's a shame Ed couldn't get them.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-23-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Ah got it. Well, it's a shame Ed couldn't get them.
Hopefully some will pop up for resale so Ed can add to his collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-23-2022, 02:42 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Currently getting posted on Ebay...
Old 10-23-2022, 02:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ed must feel a bit like Sisyphus.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:48 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Ed must feel a bit like Sisyphus.
Hopefully Ed is having more fun with this Sisyphean task than Sisyphus did with his eternal task.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:48 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

It was a sisyphean task from the beginning.
(Thanks Peter & Google)
Old 10-23-2022, 02:49 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Dammit. Raulus beat me.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Hopefully Ed is having more fun with this Sisyphean task than Sisyphus did with his eternal task.
I guess there's some element of Tantalus involved here too.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-23-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Goldin’s original description specified that this batch with the McCormick stamp had been pieced together in recent times by a collector. It referred to this collection as a shining example of collectors coming together and aiding another’s quest. Of course, these things are completely and flatly false about this lot and the lies are to make it seem like it’s the McCormick collection we all know. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an auction house straight up lie so directly about something that doesn’t even really affect the price. Lying about grade and alterations makes sense, but this was just weird. If anything, leading people to believe the McCormick collector was selling lowers the value of the stamped cards by indicating their buyer wasn’t in the game anymore.

Then again, it probably isn’t the first time Goldin has found a new low to reach.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Goldin’s original description specified that this batch with the McCormick stamp had been pieced together in recent times by a collector. It referred to this collection as a shining example of collectors coming together and aiding another’s quest. Of course, these things are completely and flatly false about this lot and the lies are to make it seem like it’s the McCormick collection we all know. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an auction house straight up lie so directly about something that doesn’t even really affect the price. Lying about grade and alterations makes sense, but this was just weird. If anything, leading people to believe the McCormick collector was selling lowers the value of the stamped cards by indicating their buyer wasn’t in the game anymore.

Then again, it probably isn’t the first time Goldin has found a new low to reach.
That is odd. Maybe whoever wrote it up was familiar with Ed's collection and just assumed it was his, I dunno?

Old 10-23-2022, 03:49 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
That is odd. Maybe whoever wrote it up was familiar with Ed's collection and just assumed it was his, I dunno?
Seems like the only reasonable explanation, barring a complete and total breakdown of the AH’s grasp of reality.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Ed McCollum

Default They were familiar with my collection…

They reached out to me several weeks before the auction began to let me know these 950 were part of the even-larger 6,000 card group that was consigned to them. So they knew of my collection and also knew these weren't mine. After I complained, they did change the listing.

This group was purchased by a gentleman, since deceased, in the early 70s. He just held them until his family “rediscovered” them after his death, along with all his other cards. They were purchased all at one time from a dealer in Florida. So about the time Howe sold his collection off (I’ve been able to determine he sold all but 13 cards off sometime between 1968 and 1972.). So he wasn’t building a collection, he just bought a collection that had this many in it.

The winner of the auction has been kind enough to reach out to me. Although there may be a couple cards I’m able to get, not much has changed since Goldin contacted me. 950 cards is WAY above my pay grade, so as I’ve always said, I’ll get those I can, and try and keep track of those I can’t.

Thanks for everyone on the board’s support over the years. I’ll keep plugging away at it, although knowing there are 950 to try and keep track of takes a lot of the fun out of searching every day to see if I could find any.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I wonder how many a-holes out there are going to buy some from the winner of the auction and offer them to Ed at exorbitant prices to try to take advantage of him.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-23-2022, 04:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe’s Hunter View Post
They reached out to me several weeks before the auction began to let me know these 950 were part of the even-larger 6,000 card group that was consigned to them. So they knew of my collection and also knew these weren't mine. After I complained, they did change the listing.

This group was purchased by a gentleman, since deceased, in the early 70s. He just held them until his family “rediscovered” them after his death, along with all his other cards. They were purchased all at one time from a dealer in Florida. So about the time Howe sold his collection off (I’ve been able to determine he sold all but 13 cards off sometime between 1968 and 1972.). So he wasn’t building a collection, he just bought a collection that had this many in it.

The winner of the auction has been kind enough to reach out to me. Although there may be a couple cards I’m able to get, not much has changed since Goldin contacted me. 950 cards is WAY above my pay grade, so as I’ve always said, I’ll get those I can, and try and keep track of those I can’t.

Thanks for everyone on the board’s support over the years. I’ll keep plugging away at it, although knowing there are 950 to try and keep track of takes a lot of the fun out of searching every day to see if I could find any.
I'm curious, when you heard there were 950 more out there, what was your initial reaction, your gut response before you had time to reflect about it?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-23-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:05 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I wonder how many a-holes out there are going to buy some from the winner of the auction and offer them to Ed at exorbitant prices to try to take advantage of him.

Seems like a strategy with little to no likelihood of success, based on what has been discussed around here to date.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:20 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The way I read the listing was that the stamp was in demand and well-known because of Ed's pursuit. It was *implied* that the cards in this lot were from Ed, but not directly stated. Since there was no provenance given for the huge lot, that is what a casual reader would have assumed.

It's semantics, but I think it matters instead of making false claims against Goldin.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:29 PM
Ed McCollum

Quote:
I'm curious, when you heard there were 950 more out there, what was your initial reaction, your gut response before you had time to reflect about it?
Like a kick in the gut, or lower.

I’d known for years, after talking to Howe’s daughter’s friend Ron that at one time, in the 60s, Howe had multiple boxes of cards, but always though those that still survived might come up in chunks of 10 at a time, maybe 20. No way to expect 950 at once.

Steve Lucas’ initial email was a request to contact him, they had a “couple” of Howe’s cards come in as part of a larger lot. The next message was that it was close to 1,000 cards with the stamp.

Pretty much total deflation. Still haven’t figured out what I’ll do long-term. I’ve always said I know I wouldn’t get them all, but that was when there were 36 out there that I knew of, but would probably never get. 950 doesn’t feel the same.

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 10-23-2022 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-23-2022, 05:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can only imagine what it must have been like for a fundamental assumption of your collecting to change in an instant. Wow. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and hopefully you'll still find meaning in it and stick with it.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howe’s Hunter View Post
Like a kick in the gut, or lower.

I’d known for years, after talking to Howe’s daughter’s friend Ron that at one time, in the 60s, Howe had multiple boxes of cards, but always though those that still survived might come up in chunks of 10 at a time, maybe 20. No way to expect 950 at once.

Steve Lucas’ initial email was a request to contact him, they had a @coupme” of Howe’s cards come in as part of a larger lot. The next message was that it was close to 1,000 cards with the stamp.

Pretty much total deflation. Still haven’t fuigued out what I’ll do long-term. I’ve always said I know I wouldn’t get them all, but that was when there were 36 out there that I knew of, but would probably never get. 950 doesn’t feel the same.
I guess the bright side is that after the sell off, you'll still have the largest collection of Howes back stamp cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-23-2022, 05:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The way I read the listing was that the stamp was in demand and well-known because of Ed's pursuit. It was *implied* that the cards in this lot were from Ed, but not directly stated. Since there was no provenance given for the huge lot, that is what a casual reader would have assumed.

It's semantics, but I think it matters instead of making false claims against Goldin.
The stamp is not in demand. Their original description was false, and they changed it. That part of the story is true.

I think it's neat that all of those cards are now available to Ed to add to his collection at his own pace.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

They said it was a collection put together in recent times with the help of many hobbyists, and was an example of the hobby coming together and the goodness in it.

Semantics matter. The claim made, however, is true as stated. Nobody claimed they said it was Howe’s Hunter’s directly, the claim made is that they lied about it to make that the clear message. Which they did. This batch of 950 was not assembled in small groups or one at a time recently, it was not put together by a network of hobbyists helping out, and is in no way an example of hobbyists coming together. That was a lie by Goldin.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:55 PM
Frank Wakefield

I think I sold Ed 1 or 2 T206s, back when. I think I found McCormick stamped on the back of a T205 or an Obak, many months ago. The card was in a binder, not in a box I have for T206s.

950 cards is a bunch of cards.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:56 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Quote:
Guess that answers that !
Congratulations on the amazing pickup Steve 👍
Oops, make that Scott!
Old 10-23-2022, 08:58 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Seems like a strategy with little to no likelihood of success, based on what has been discussed around here to date.
I agree with you that there is likely no success, but wonder if it will happen. I know it has happened in the past and Ed has passed on the offers when they have come this way.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here