NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2022, 09:52 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Default Did anyone here win this Lou Fiene

When I first saw it I thought that the upper left was a print flaw but after looking at it closer I think it's discolored tape from the bidding and the final price I think a few people must have thought it was a print flaw.

03.jpg
Old 10-14-2022, 12:30 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I vote tape. An interesting card but to me, a low to no value card.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-14-2022, 01:06 PM

Definitely appears to have jagged end, as seen on a piece of tape after being sheared off from the tape dispenser. It is fun that the tape has discolored to a somewhat similar color as the card background.

Brian
Old 10-15-2022, 06:44 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I vote tape. An interesting card but to me, a low to no value card.
It sold for $637 there were 3 different bidders over $375 and 4 different bidders above $150. I have a feeling it will get returned and re-listed.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:00 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

I was looking at it and would have taken a flyer on it at $100 or less, but even some legit scraps sell for less than $637.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:12 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
It sold for $637 there were 3 different bidders over $375 and 4 different bidders above $150. I have a feeling it will get returned and re-listed.
I didn't look to see where it finally ended at. That is amazing and sad at the same time. I wonder if bids were being placed because other bidders were bidding, and that made even more bids happen. Kinda like, everyone's bidding on it, so there must be something special about it, then others think the same thing, and before you know it, everyone is caught up in a bidding circle jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
I was looking at it and would have taken a flyer on it at $100 or less, but even some legit scraps sell for less than $637.
True, but many legit scraps that are normal regular issue cards that were hand cut from a sheet, sell for slightly more than it's normal non scrap version of the card. I shouldn't even say the word sell, the correct word is listed. Because many of these cards are difficult to sell. Sometimes it might be nice to have a single example of one, but then it eventually doesn't have a place to fit in the collection. There are some exceptions, like a single card with all back variations. Then, I could see a hand cut Polar Bear or other back type fitting in. Or even just a collection of T206 odd ball and errors. But the reality is, if you can find that same front/back combo scrap hand cut card as a regular issued card, with the same front/back combo, the rarity and it being a near unique card, is just not there. Sadly, it's an oversized trimmed card. Some might think I'm being a bit harsh, but I'm actually being honest, so beginners don't mistake the word "scrap" as being a $1000 card automatically. Now, to be clear, there are some scrap cards that do bring $1000+ in auctions and private sales. But they include overprint errors, extreme registration issues, missing color passes (besides red), wrong color ink on back, one side printed upside down, extreme factory cut errors, front/back combos that shouldn't exist, blanket or cylinder impression errors (not wet sheet transfers), printmarks such as the Armpit 8 or the Blue Flame, cards with registration marks and with player names, cards with registration marks but no names (proofs), I'm sure that I'm missing a few others. I just wanted some of the newer collectors to know that the term "scrap" can cover a wide range of errors, tests, mistakes, and simply sheets that are just hand cut. The term scrap, over the years just became the simple word to use, to describe a card that shouldn't have gotten past quality control, or a card that left the print shop out the back door or possibly even pulled from the garbage. I don't think that last one happened much, because sheets that printed bad, were used multiple times to set up the print machine and get everything alligned. A full sheet ruined, was an expense, so the printer did their best to get the most use of the ruined sheet. Even using it on multiple print jobs. There's proof of the same sheet being used 8+ times on each side, before it was either put in a pile to recycle or set aside to burn for heat during winter months.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11