NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-08-2023, 09:32 AM
Stefan

Default Valuing a Ticket Stub?

Purchased a Ticket Stub yesterday from a friend as he told me it was a Joe D 5/5 and Gehrig 3/4 game from the 30's; Being a Yanks fan, I thought that was super cool (and have been really kind of getting into stubs lately despite knowing the absolute minimum about them).

Further research after I purchased shows that it is in fact a stub from Joe D's first cycle (plus an extra homer -- 7/9/37) - how do I value something like this when I send into PSA/BGS for authentication/encapsulation? I can find some home run stubs or stubs from his streak, do you just get an idea from there or just submit and cross your fingers they don't upgrade it? Or is there some sort of guide to valuing these things? (sorry for my ignorance, not tons of comps from my typical sources for these!)

Last edited by Smanzari; 10-08-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:45 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Just my guess....

but Gehrig HR tickets are generally in the 250-350 range....DiMaggio HRs less.

However, the DiMaggio cycle is unique for sure.

My guess would be 375-500, assuming condition is decent.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Very difficult to value.
And don’t look at eBay for much guidance. Some absolutely insane asks. Some
random Ruth HR and Gehrig 2 RBI stub and someone will be asking $8,000 for a stub that wouldn’t get $800 at a reputable AH.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-08-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:01 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanzari View Post
Purchased a Ticket Stub yesterday from a friend as he told me it was a Joe D 5/5 and Gehrig 3/4 game from the 30's; Being a Yanks fan, I thought that was super cool (and have been really kind of getting into stubs lately despite knowing the absolute minimum about them).

Further research after I purchased shows that it is in fact a stub from Joe D's first cycle (plus an extra homer -- 7/9/37) - how do I value something like this when I send into PSA/BGS for authentication/encapsulation? I can find some home run stubs or stubs from his streak, do you just get an idea from there or just submit and cross your fingers they don't upgrade it? Or is there some sort of guide to valuing these things? (sorry for my ignorance, not tons of comps from my typical sources for these!)
I would value it at the lowest amount of $499 or less for purposes of fees.

If it grades high, they may well upcharge you but only if they think it is worth more than you paid the fee for.

I had a ticket that I valued at less than $2499 and paid the $150 fee to have it graded . They graded it the highest one and up charged to $600 or 4 times the fee.

However, the ticket is likely worth 4 times the original estimated value so I was OK with it.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Stefan

Thanks guys! That’s kind of where I was leaning, as that’s the route I go with cards- I just wasn’t 100% sure as I’m not the most well-versed in that market!
Old 10-09-2023, 12:09 AM

I don't think you mentioned the condition as you perceive it. I agree that if it's a one-of-a-kind ticket (as far as you know) it might be difficult to price (it will bring whatever someone is willing to pay for it at auction, LOL!!). But if it's in pretty bad condition, I'd recommend sending it to third-party graders that don't have a registry and aren't as prone to upcharge for simply authenticating. Then at least you will have your one-of-a-kind ticket slabbed for whatever you decide to do!
Old 10-09-2023, 06:50 AM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
I don't think you mentioned the condition as you perceive it. I agree that if it's a one-of-a-kind ticket (as far as you know) it might be difficult to price (it will bring whatever someone is willing to pay for it at auction, LOL!!). But if it's in pretty bad condition, I'd recommend sending it to third-party graders that don't have a registry and aren't as prone to upcharge for simply authenticating. Then at least you will have your one-of-a-kind ticket slabbed for whatever you decide to do!
Yea, I am not entirely sure of how to grade these - but it looks nice enough to grade IMO

Last edited by Smanzari; 10-09-2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Yea, I am not entirely sure of how to grade these - but it looks nice enough to grade IMO
Based on my own experience with tickets and third-party graders, I'd say that given the staining, corner wear and uneven tear it's probably going to be around a 4. Worth grading and definitely indicate how you want them to label the slab about the unique accomplishment.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:23 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:

Probably 2/3 or so with PSA. Maybe higher with Beckett as they are not as critical.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:05 PM

If I saw this on ebay I'd expect 1500
Old 10-15-2023, 07:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
how do I value something like this when I send into PSA/BGS for authentication/encapsulation?
Don’t send it to the opinion sellers. Put it in a little card holder and enjoy it.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:53 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Don’t send it to the opinion sellers. Put it in a little card holder and enjoy it.
I just want it in a cool holder, don't even care about the grade but would be cool to have encapsulated - actually will more than likely just go BGS, assuming they'll put the milestone on the slab. I don't keep much that I buy, but I actually plan on hanging onto this for a while (getting into stubs - they're neat, semi-unique/rarer than cards, and are a cool piece of history [even boring, non-milestone games])

Last edited by Smanzari; 10-15-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
I just want it in a cool holder, don't even care about the grade but would be cool to have encapsulated
I hate the “cool holder.” But, to each, their own.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I hate the “cool holder.” But, to each, their own.
I strongly agree. I understand that, for eventual resale, it can sometimes (but certainly not always) make financial sense to pay to get a vintage item slabbed, but I never think a beautiful item from that era looks good with a modern label from a third party authenticator/grader. I think that definitely detracts from the coolness and eye appeal of the item itself. To protect a vintage ticket, I much prefer placing it yourself in a simple, clear holder — with a label from a label printer if desired.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:22 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW03 View Post
If I saw this on ebay I'd expect 1500
Well you would be dead wrong.

Just sold on Ebay for $263

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27617700904...p2471758.m4703
Old 11-28-2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Well you would be dead wrong.
Just sold on Ebay for $263
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27617700904...p2471758.m4703
Well, he didn't hang on to it too long for one reason or another, which is fine of course. Sold for lower than I expected, so probably good it wasn't sent out for grading.

Last edited by jethrod3; 11-28-2023 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-30-2023, 12:49 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Well, he didn't hang on to it too long for one reason or another, which is fine of course. Sold for lower than I expected, so probably good it wasn't sent out for grading.
I actually held for a LONG TIME considering most things I get, but I do more buying/selling than accumulating (unless its a GA/SA comic book)

If I started the auction when I asked the initial question, I would have been disappointed but after having it up on eBay and fielding the offers I received, I'm pleased - ended up like $10 higher than anticipated ($250 was the best offer I received, in addition to a good bit under $100). Was a cool piece for sure, and I'm sure the new owner will make a profit when they sell (and I did pretty well considering my buy-in)

Last edited by Smanzari; 11-30-2023 at 12:50 PM.