NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Default Blank Back Questions

Posted By: Robert Adesso

I was just wondering what you guys/gals thought about this card.
Is this printer's scrap?
How should the grading companies describe these on the holder?
Why didn't it recieve a grade rather than an "authentic"?
just wondering.
thanks much!

Old 09-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

This is interesting because GAI would not even take my submission a month ago for a blank back T-205...they said they would not grade it since it was considered a proof or a cut from a poster...oh well...

-Joshua

PS Oh yeah...I like your card...looks pretty good to me.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Maybe they haven't either!

Since blank-backed Collins-McCarthys and SN cards are less expensive, I'd just expect a lower grade--but what?

blank-backed Collins-McCarthy (Mastro sold it 5 years ago, approx.)

Old 09-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert adesso

a graded t206 with a blank back?
I was wondering how it was graded.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Louis

Sent 2 blank back T206's to PSA, came back "No holder".

Old 09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert adesso

why they wouldn't holder them, or just "no holder?"

Old 09-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I think it was not graded because it was hand cut from a sheet. It is authentic, but how does one grade a hand cut card? It is not the same as trimming, but for grading purposes makes it almost impossible.
Jim

Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

Is this card printer's scrap? Was it thrown out by the printer?
In your opinion, should the grading companines even encapsulate these without designating such?

Is the card an "authentic" t206?...or is it an "authentic" printer's scrap?

Old 09-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

These posts raise a good point of distinction between a printing error, printers scrap and "cards" removed from other sources.

IMHO a printing error is a card that was printed and issued with the cancer cylinders with a mistake, whether it is a miscut, a misprint or missing print. I think those cards can be graded as "authentic" subjects of that issue because they were issued "deformed" through the regular channels. If you want a numerical grade on such an item, I think you should be able to have one too, but you obviously will get a "1" because the card is flawed.

Cards that appear to be salvaged from the garbage at the print shop should be authenticated only if they are designated as authentic unissued printing material from that set. I do not feel that they are worthy of numerical grades. If the Chance was hand-cut from printers scrap, for example, it should be designated as such, not as a T206, because it was never issued in a pack with death sticks.

I wholly agree with a refusal to grade or authenticate a "card" that is actually a chunk of a poster or album page. Sorry, Charlie, they simply are not cards because their source material was never meant to be cut up. Separate from them are strip cards, which were meant to be cut apart into cards, hence are cards. I feel that these are gradeable but I understand why some unskilled, unsophisticated graders would have a hard time gradng the cards because they are simply too uninformed to be aware of how a card from the issue should look when properly cut out.