NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2004, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Default O.T. - Donation Help Needed

Posted By: Mike McGrail

Greetings,

I have a big shoe box of baseball cards (1970s thru 1990s) that has been sitting on my bookshelf for some time and I am looking for a new home for them.

Placing them on eBay will probably fetch about $9 or something but that is not what I am looking for. These cards need to find their way into the hands of some children. If I was back in the states, I could easily take them to Childrens Hospital or some other local charity associated with kids.

Sure we got those types of things over here in Holland as well. Problem is, baseball is not of any interest to the kids here.

Can anyone help me out with this? All I need is a place to send these to. I'll handle the involved postage.

Ciao for now,

Mike

Old 12-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

At Halloween, I gave the kids choices- 'bricks' of cards wrapped up in seran wrap or candy. The cards went first. The rest I took to my local children's hospital (Howard County General). If you want, I can give you an address to send directly to them or I'd be happy to take them there for you.
Jamie

Old 12-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

My elementary school kids would love them! I'm a teacher for an after school program, and can use them to motivate my students. We have over 200 kids enrolled.

Email for address: richarddwyer@sbcglobal.net

Be happy to send you a group picture of my kids, if you want.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

one of my oldest friends teaches school, all my unwanted "$9 boxes" go to him...he uses them to motivate...great way to give back to the community!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Ben belongs to an organization that regularly gives away cards to members and others, at the giver's discression.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Sky Ranch for Boys
Sky Ranch Lane
Sky Ranch South, Dakota 57724

This is a 50 year old non-profit group that takes care of troubled boys, licensed by South Dakota Social Services. They have a trading card club for the kids, and look for any types of sports cards for the club.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 12-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

I think I'll be sending some of my extras out to South Dakota - I have previously given them to Children's Memorial in Chicago, but I think they are doing alright with cards for the moment.

A few ideas for others considering doing this:

- Throw in a few mid-condition (or better, if you have them to spare) Hall of Famer cards like Marichal, Mathews, or Banks and include one of those books that has 1-2 page profiles of Hall of Fame players with your donation. Being able to read about some of the guys pictured on the cards often makes kids more interested in learning more about the history of the game and encourages them to read.

- Video games and systems are a good idea for hospitals as well and not terribly expensive. I bought Children's Memorial a Nintendo GameCube and 4 games for under $200.

- Keep in mind if donating to a hospital that it is a good idea to call them first to determine what they can use.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

I will ship them a box-load.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

would be St. Judes Children's hospital. They're in a big fund raising drive now and I'm sure they could use baseball cards as well. I always drop them off at a couple different kids hospital/shelter locations at home......

Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Edison Elementary is a low income school with over 1400 hispanic students. Even though they don't match up to St. Judes, etc.,they still could use a donation from anyone. If you have cards you wish to get rid of, email me at richarddwyer@sbcglobal.net. I'm sure our kids would love to have them even if it's the only Christmas present they receive. Seriously.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I have donated to this organization.

http://www.freearts.org/

Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

That's funny. I bought one of my favorite fashion photos from a Free Arts charity auction in NYC. Had been been donated by the photographer.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

... for the help! 'Got some packin to do.

Ciao for now,

Mike