NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Josh & Kelly. Got them on the same day.

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Just bought this Josh Gibson from Bob Craik--Cuban Uniform, early '30s. Love it!

This is the Kelly portrait graded a "10" that I got for less than a K in Mastro.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

A beautiful item !!!!

Mazel Tov !!!

Old 09-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

steroids in the 1930's? WHEW........in the words of Ron Burgundy, look at his cannons.........

Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

O.K. It's time to admire my Gibson photo and my SGC 10 Kelly some more.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Could someone please share the story of Josh Gibson with me? Obviously, I'm a novice with regard to this guy. Someone on e-bay was wanting about 50,000 for one of his cards several months ago.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator

his death. He was a great player (catcher) and slugger of the Negro Leagues, and died of a heart attack before 1947. There were people considerinbg him for the Jackie Robinson role, but felt he was not as temperamentally suited to it as Jackie was. He wasn't ass young as Jackie, either (Jackie was born in 1918, himself).

I'm sure they're lots of people who know more about him than I do.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

Hey Julie, Thats a cool card. What's on the reverse.. is it blank backed? or a post card?

Old 09-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Julie,

You may want to read this old post about the Gibson Photo that you just bought:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1115187225

Old 09-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

It doesn't look like the only one pictured. Please let me know.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

he would return my money.

It would be the first time I'd bought a reprint, thinking it was an originsl! Although it had crossed my mind that it might not be original--I did NOT think it had been artificially aged.

Sure is a nice photo--hope it doesn't glow under black light, or look scratched up--it IS mounted on cardboard.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Rousseau

A little more biographical info: Gibson was a monster hitter, and it thought to have hit more than 800 HRs in his career. Unfortunately- like Satchel Paige- the true numbers will never be known because records weren't kept in the Negro Leagues with any regularity.

Gibson did eventually have a mental meltdown based in part on alcohol but I think also some kind of brain tumor.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

None of the descriptive language in Bob's ad sounds ANYTHING like the language in the ads listed in the thread you cited. "very few" "minimal" tears--he seems to be standing up for the quality of the photo, not denegrating it, nor is it being sold "as IS," with no money back guarentee. This is not the famous "Crawfords" pose--which is also very nice, but is usually colorized.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Julie,

The person selling the photos on Ebay was also selling these photos. It is a modern reprint. Read the history on the photo. It is the same phony story about the collection in Youngstown Ohio.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

some of my money back. It should flouresce under black light.

My one reservation about the photo, looking at it, is that--but you say it's a REAL photo, reprinted!~--Josh looks older than the early 30s.

meanwhile, I'll ask Bob if he bought the photo from the eBay seller mentioned in the earlier thread you cited. Thanks. But the eBay seller. read-all-about-it--has perfect feedback of over 1000! You guys sure he was selling fakes?

"Fake" sounds a lot better than "maybe you'd like to reade this thread about the photo you bought"!

Yes, Bob Craik does mention the guy in Youngstown, Ohio--but I suppose it';s possible that such a guy existed, and even that this is the original of his photo.

If this (explitive deleted) photo DOESN'T flouresce---I sure hope I can tell an old photo from a new one!