NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Team vs. Individual "Cards"

Posted By: Phil Garry

How do you feel about collecting "cards" picturing a player's first appearance when it is included in a team picture as opposed to an individual "card"? (The word CARD is in quotation marks so as not to rekindle the debate about what constitutes a card) For example, John Smith appears on a 1910 team postcard and later on his first individual card in 1915. Which one would you prefer to own if you want to collect the earliest "card" issued picturing that player?

Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Phil, I will put the question back to you..which do you consider to be Nolan Ryan's rookie card..1967 Topps (Nolan and 34 other guys), 1968 Topps (Nolan and one other guy) or 1970 Topps (just Nolan)?

Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I never knew Nolan Ryan was on the 1967 Mets team card. Is that a fact? You learn something new every day!

Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Didn't Ryan appear on a 1969 Topps by himself?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

yes jon, he was by himself in the '69 card

Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

But the problem is you can barely tell it's Nolan on the '67 Topps team card. You have to consider the '68 Topps card his rookie, having Jerry Koosman on the card is a plus.

Peter C.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

What a time for Mets fans, huh? Still reeling from expansion and being the losingest team ever and they bring up Seaver, Ryan and Koosman in the span of two years. Can anyone ever think of another team that had three young pitchers like that? They went on to win 850+ games. Too bad the Mets weren't smart enough to keep any of them.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Koufax, Drysdale and Erskine of the mid '50s Dodgers were not too bad...

I am sure there were other teams that had great home grown talent.

Joshua

Old 08-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Erskine's career was almost over by the time Drysdale and Koufax got good. Johnny Podres was closer to being their third wheel. Even so, all of those guys had relatively short careers compared to Ryan, Seaver and Koosman who pitched for a combined 66 years in the majors.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux also have 850+ wins and the Braves were smart enough to keep them for most of their careers. Imagine if Steve Avery stayed healthy.

Howard

Old 08-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Phil:

To answer your question, I have no problem collecting an image of a player I'm looking for on a team card, especially if that player might not have an individual card (or at least one I can afford).

Case in point, when I was looking for something of Steve Brodie I was perfectly happy to obtain his image on an 1887 Canton cabinet knowing full well I'd never be able to get an 1894 Alpha Photo Engraving card of him. Whether the Canton cabinet was his first image, who knows?

Kevin

Old 08-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Well, of Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux only one was from the Braves system. Forget Steve Avery -- imagine if Paul Marak stayed healthy!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

You're right, of course, Jeff. I'm not sure how I could forget about Maddux' Cub years, particularly since he won a CY Young award with them and that he had some disingenuous contract talks with "my" Yankees after that season.

Avery, though, was a much bigger prospect than Marak. Not even close. David Nied was another one I thought would be big.

Howard

Old 08-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

It may be a tad early for HOF enshrinement but here in New York we think that Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy will all win 300 games eventually.

Howard

Of course, they could just as easily turn into, Jason Isringhausen, Paul Wilson and Bill Pulsipher : )

Old 08-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Hey now,

Izzy's havin' a hell-of-a nice season and he's now the Cardinal's all-time saves leader. Pretty good, considering they've had Sutter, Todd Worrell, Lee Smith, and Eckersly. I used to dog him too, but have changed my tune a bit lately.

More on topic: My only contemporary Honus Wagner is the Pirate's Fatima team card, and it is one of my favorites!

Ken

Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Shoot, I didn't mean to rag on Izzy. He's had a nice career, particularly this season. He even had a terrific rookie year as a starter with the Mets. But if two of the three current Yankee prospects flopped it would be a huge disappointment even if the third became a top closer.

Howard

Old 08-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Getting back to the topic on hand, I should have specified pre-war cards when presenting my question as the Rookie "Card" for each post-war player is pretty well defined. I think just about everyone will agree that a Topps team card with 30+ players and none of them identified would not be a very desirable commodity.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

that (pre-war or post-war) the first time a player is pictured on a card by himself is a rookie card, unless grouped with 1-3 other players and labelled as a "rookie"

I don't think team cards should count, unless it is the only time the player ever appeared on any card.

Peter C,
just my opinion, but I think that having Jerry Koosman on any card is actually a negative

Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

I think of a rookie card as the first, Major League, card on which an individual is "named". This includes cards with 2, 3 or 4 players, but excludes team cards.