NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default Show us a card if you're not sure what it is.

Posted By: robert a

Began a thread like this on the other board too, but thought I'd give it a shot here as well.

Anyone have a card to show that they don't really know what it is?

Got this one from James F. quite a while ago.

[linked image]

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth Nagdeman

I have a 5" x 7" cabinet card which has been in my desk for years. I never did the research on this to see what it actually is. It appears to be a sepia photo that was mounted on cardboard stock, but I don't have any other information on it. I guess it will remain in my desk for awhile longer unless someone has an opinion about it.

[linked image] [linked image]

Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

no idea whatsoever.
I contacted a bunch of candy companies to try to track down the New England Gum Co. - - no luck.

The only other example of a 'New England Gum Co.' card that I know of is on Adam's awesome Boxing Card site.

Other than that.... I got nothin'

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Seth, William Doyle was an outfielder/pitcher in the Texas League from 1903-07...my guess is this is the Dallas team since it's a Dallas photo studio which would place the photo from 1903-05. It's possible (Probable) that everyone on the team had a photo done for personal use.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth Nagdeman

Thanks Dan. I'll do further research and plan to put the card in the next auction if all goes well. Best, Seth

Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Actually, the William Doyle story is much more interesting than the few years he spent as a minor leguer. He became a VERY successful scout from about 1910 until his death in the 1930's and is responsible for some of the bigger signings that the Detroit Tigers made during that time period. I have about 75 letters from his estate, some of which are very early where he is looking for scouting jobs (about 1908-1910) and up to some of his scouting contracts with Detroit in the 1930's. He was one of the more prominant men in all of baseball near the end of his career. I also know he was well connected with the Texas league as I have some letters from Jack Zeller of the Beaumont club as well as others to Doyle about players. He was one of those guys that everyone in Baseball knew about 80 years ago, and only about 10 people know about today, but FAR from a common minor league player.

Rhys

Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

shown before but still don't know what they are...

[linked image]

[linked image]