NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Well,here they are!

Posted By: skydash55

To all the fine folks who've asked me about the Tin tops,they're finally up on the Mastro Auction site.Just type e270 in the lot description search box. The first 145 are up in the Dec. auction,with the Jackson and the remainders to follow in April.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

amazing stuff, Gonna post some on the BST?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That is one beautiful group- and that's just some of them. It is amazing that they survived in that condition.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

It seems to me that the main page of this forum shouldn't be used to promote stuff for sale, even if it's really great stuff. The BS&T page has an "auction announcement" subsection ...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

You need to enter E270 and not T270

Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I understand the point about promoting stuff on the main page that is up for auction. It shouldn't be done. I do think this is an extraordinary situation and I don't think Skydash is doing this so he can garner more money for the cards. There is precedent for extraordinary situations to be posted on the front page too, regardless of the circumstance. They will get the prices they get regardless of a thread on this main page. This is one of those issues that will have split opinions. Whatever I say there will be many folks that disagree.......Nice cards by the way.....

Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

<<That is one beautiful group- and that's just some of them. >>

Does that mean that Mastro will continue to auction cards from this collection in future auctions?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Leon,

You should have been an attorney, you drew the perfect exception to the rule. Skydash has great stuff, but in general it's a bad idea to out an auction in advance.

Peter C.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

This is not a hidden auction on eBay that was not properly written up so no one could find it. This is in Mastro and everyone here is going to see it...no way it is going to fly under the radar. So IMHO there is no harm here in him telling us about the E270's so we can see them all in quality scans and not the original 4 only we got to drool over.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

I'm sorry if I broke decorum.That was not my intent at all. I'm not trying to "promote" the cards with this thread. It's just that I have recieved a bunch of emails from people asking for scans of the TT's as well as when they were going to be displayed on Mastro.This was my way of "killing 2 birds with 1 stone". Besides,Mastro's site can display them much better than a computer moron such as I.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Skydash..those with common sense here I don't think will take this as you trying to promote the auction. Fact is, everybody was aware of this from day one...and we've been informed of different stages of this throughout...so its ridicilious to now act like this is being outted. Its just more crap for certain individuals here to complain about.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Breath-taking cards, thanks for the post!!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

And Boy are they!! Very nice Skydash . Remember we would always love to see more when they become avaliable!! So please just inform us just like you did! 99.9% of us just love it!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Is the entire Skydash collection being auctioned in the December 2007 auction? Or will there be more Skydash cards in 2008 Mastro auctions?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John E

Mastro had both the Thorpe and Jackson with them at the Sun Times show in Chicago. They were even nicer in person.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

They look so elegant in the SGC holders. Sorry PSA.

It is nice to see these tin top chips not being ridiculed for not being "true cards".

Occassionally you see the thread that goes, "....blah blah, but they are not true cards ." ie, chips, pins, discs, silks and the like.

I have always thought these non-cards can be pretty cool little items nonetheless - absolutely definitly worth collecting/investing - and often undervalued.

Steve.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Wesley,
The remainder of the TT's will go into the April auction(including the Jackson),as well as other cards from the collection.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Mr. Skydash. The cards are incredible and I wish you the best of luck on the sales.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

"Skydash ... those with common sense here I don't think will take this as you trying to promote the auction. Fact is, everybody was aware of this from day one ... and we've been informed of different stages of this throughout ... so its ridicilious to now act like this is being outted. Its just more crap for certain individuals here to complain about ..."

"Crap" for "certain individuals" to "complain about?" I believe I expressed a valid concern about a post (per forum rules) and I did it in a very diplomatic way. Why all the hate? And some wonder why people are hesitant to post on this forum ...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Bowden

Amazing cards Skydash. I have enjoyed watching your story unfold from the beginning. Hope to have a "Skydash" card in my collection in the future. Some people are more worried about the rules than what the rules are in place for, enjoyment of vintage cards. Also, some people here have been worried about pickup thread rules and "outing" an auction more than sharing info and making friends. Several people have asked you for updates and you have been kind enough to share with us. For that, I thank you.
David B

Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Chris C,
Go take a vacation on some other board somewhere! Only a fool wouldnt want to see a great collection like this!Seems to me YOUR the only one who has the 2 negative posts here about this collection. Its a great collection and we as N54s should be proud that Skydash looked to some of us for advice on how to sell it, and at least bring some great (new) material to the market!! Go cry somewhere else!!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

"Go take a vacation on some other board somewhere! Only a fool wouldnt want to see a great collection like this!Seems to me YOUR the only one who has the 2 negative posts here about this collection. Its a great collection and we as N54s should be proud that Skydash looked to some of us for advice on how to sell it, and at least bring some great (new) material to the market!! Go cry somewhere else!!"

Let's see, now I'm a "fool" who needs to "take a vacation" and "cry somewhere else." Who is being negative here, Al? You are proving my point that it is impossible to post on this forum for long without being attacked by a small minority of angry board members. Neither of my posts is the least bit negative or angry in its tone. And Leon addressed my concerns in a very reasonable manner. Yet you and Dave F. can't resist bashing what I have to say. I'll ask you the same question I asked Dave. F. Why all the hate?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Chris "And some wonder why people are hesitant to post on this forum ..."

I think objecting to someone "outing" an auction would discourage someone more...

Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Chris,
BLAH BLAH BLAH. You said your peace twice now. So lets get back to the GREAT collection and keep this thread on track.
To bad you dont want to enjoy it. BYE BYE TAKE CARE !!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

What was it graded?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Chris-

All I pointed out was that I think its crazy you would bring up "outing" this on the main board. From day one everything about these items have been public...every bit of it besides Skydash's real name. It has also been asked on numerous occasions that Skydash please update the board, provide pics, etc whenever something else developed. For you to make the comment about not "outing" this is just so out of touch...and for Skydash to have to apologize because of it is even worse. These weren't items that are going to go for $100 and slide beneath the mainstream scope in an auction. There is not one person on this board that isn't aware of what Skydash has on consignment and with whom....so why even bring up this crap about him putting it on the main board??

Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Great, great looking collection. Wow. I'll be watching it closely. From a financial distance, but closely watching nonetheless!

As to the auction on the main board thing - it has always been a general rule not to use the main board to publicize commercial ventures. There haven't been any or many sacred cows or free passes on this note - usually almost any commercial item on the board will eventually get a comment, question or even challenge of some kind. Just ask Bobby B!

I think everyone here feels like we are somehow part of Sky's good fortune and have watched with fascination as this vintage card fairy tale has unfolded before our eyes. It's really been a wonderful vicarious thrill ride for the board.

I think Chris asked a valid question that eventually comes up with just about any commercial post. Leon then explained nicely why this particular situation is a bit different. Personally, I agree with the question, the answer and the outcome - I guess that means I'm having a pretty good day.

I like that we are seeing the Skydash updates and think Leon's exception is a good one, but also think that gentle questioning of commercial posts can help keep everyone thinking and aware.

Just my opinion, of course and as usual.

Joann

ETA: Dave F - I don't think Chris brought up anything about outing the auction in his original post. He merely pointed out that this has now gone from unbelievable story to actual auction, and whether that meant it should not be on the main board.

As I said, I totally agree with the outcome because I feel like the board has a special relationship to this particular collection and auction. But I don't think the question was out of line, especially since it was very politely worded and far from aggressive, and he didn't say anything about outing the auction.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Get over it.....Chris asked a legit question and I answered in courteous way, I hope. As much as I like everyone in this thread I do think Chris was treated too harshly. Chris has always seemed like a good enough board member to me, as well as the other posters in this thread, so lets just move on. Please keep in mind this is supposed to be a relaxing, enjoyable hobby....lets try to keep it that way. And thanks again for Skydash's involvement on letting us know these are available to look at on the Mastro website now.....take care all....and good luck to whoever goes for them...

Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Pat- I think the Jackson was an 84 or 86.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Chris,I don't have a problem at all with your post. You brought a valid concern. I,being a relative newbie around here was not aware of all the rules(stated or unstated). Please be assured my post was only to alert all the folks who asked me to let them know when these things were going on the block.
By the way,Barry was correct. The Jackson graded an 84. Would've graded higher,but the centering was the "problem".

Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Enough said.