NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM

Default That didn't take long......

http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.htm...5BACCF&seq=123

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Uncle-J...item4ad25caa7d
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
pete ullman

NICE! Going for the 7x's your money Kill in 1 day!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Robert Williams

Asking and getting are two different stories.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
pete ullman

of course
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Dave Foster

cookvintagecardcompany . . . AKA "Flip."
Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
pete ullman

oops! apparently my math skills are declining!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Mike C@.v3

I'm not familiar with this issue, so I'm not sure what the going price is for these but if he can flip it for that much profit, he did a pretty good job.

Is there anything I'm missing here other than he is trying to flip it??
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I'm not familiar with this issue, so I'm not sure what the going price is for these but if he can flip it for that much profit, he did a pretty good job.

Is there anything I'm missing here other than he is trying to flip it??
I don't think anything else is going on. The seller is a newer member of the board and acknowledged buying the card in another thread and asked if he got a good deal. I guess people here don't like people flipping, but really most cards in anyone's collection and that are being sold are a flip... the amount of time just changes.

I recently bought 3 American Beauty backed t205 cards off of ebay that were part of a lot sold through Legendary Auctions that ended 02.27.14. I knew it when I bought them, if that seller makes money off the full lot good for them. I get what I want out of the lot and they make a little money.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Mike C@.v3

I guess it just seems in bad taste to point out someone that wants to flip a card, especially if that's the round about price that card sells for. I can see if the seller is trying to deceive someone and I'm not sure if that's the case or not since I don't know much about the card issue.

So I guess my question is...why was this thread started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
pete ullman

And I suppose it's NOT in bad taste to announce to the board the card you've just acquired...and then place it for sale for 5 times what you paid for it last night?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default That didn't take long......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
And I suppose it's NOT in bad taste to announce to the board the card you've just acquired...and then place it for sale for 5 times what you paid for it last night?

Is it worth five times what he paid for it? If yes, then no it's not in bad taste to sell it for that amount.

I do believe the seller needs to be more discreet on how he goes about things. A private message to someone would have been better.

Just to be clear, I wasn't aware that he announced the card last night...I am just commenting on his right to sell the card.

Last edited by freakhappy; 03-20-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Had he not asked and got an experienced opinion (mine ) then I wouldn't have said anything about the 500% mark up. But if I asked a T206 expert on the board if my T206 $225 buy was a good deal, then got a T206 guy saying it was about right, all the while marking it up to $1100.....well, a few comments would be expected.

But as for flipping... I do it all the time and it's what really makes the hobby go round if you ask me.....I love flippers....

Last edited by Leon; 03-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
pete ullman

Anyone can make an argument that a particular card is worth X amount! The card sold for $225 last night...so that's what it's worth.

All I know is that if I were a flipper...who immediately placed card(s) for sale right after I purchased them...at gigantic profit margins...I wouldn't be announcing to thousands of prospective customers online that I bought them in the first place!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Anyone can make an argument that a particular card is worth X amount! The card sold for $225 last night...so that's what it's worth.

Not necessarily. Tons of cards go under the radar OR just don't get the right bidders at that time. I have flipped cards many, many times (as a lot of members have) very soon after I bought them and for good profits. Then other times I lose my arse.....
Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
N@te

I have zero problem with people making a profit, what I don't like is when people ask you to take less than your asking price and then flip it for your asking price the following week.

A guy did that to me 2 weeks ago on a bat. Needless to say, I told him we aren't doing business together again. That's one of the golden rules in my opinion.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl

Last edited by UnVme7; 03-20-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:

All I know is that if I were a flipper...who immediately placed card(s) for sale right after I purchased them...at gigantic profit margins...I wouldn't be announcing to thousands of prospective customers online that I bought them in the first place!
I, too, would not make an announcement to everyone if I really wanted to sell. He could be doing what others, including myself in the past, have done which is put your collection on Ebay at higher prices figuring if someone wants to buy it then fine they can have it at this price but I would rather keep it if no one is willing to pay the inflated price.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I guess it just seems in bad taste to point out someone that wants to flip a card, especially if that's the round about price that card sells for. I can see if the seller is trying to deceive someone and I'm not sure if that's the case or not since I don't know much about the card issue.

So I guess my question is...why was this thread started?

In my opinion, it is not in bad taste. I just thought the quick turnaround was interesting. I am not wishing bad for the seller.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
In my opinion, it is not in bad taste. I just thought the quick turnaround was interesting. I am not wishing bad for the seller.

No harm, no foul...

Like I stated before, if the seller is trying to deceive someone or has an inflated price of 500%, there may not be an issue with posting his item...but if the price isn't far off for that issue, I would be pretty upset with someone announcing it on a chat board seeming to reveal that there is something weird going on...especially with a lot of possible buyers.

Anyway...I know you're a good guy, I just wanted to state my opinion

Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Alex

The only problem I see with this situation is that the seller upset some potential buyers.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:

I kind of feel the same way. In any case, its all good!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
I have zero problem with people making a profit, what I don't like is when people ask you to take less than your asking price and then flip it for your asking price the following week.

A guy did that to me 2 weeks ago on a bat. Needless to say, I told him we aren't doing business together again. That's one of the golden rules in my opinion.
LOL. Some people are just better sales guys. He sold you on why you should give it to him cheaper and then sold someone else on why he should pay more for it from him, and not you.

That takes skill man. Give him credit.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 AM

Lol! I will not be announcing any more cards that I plan to flip. I am kind of a noob to card forums, so please let me get a pass on this one... I def should not announce a recent purchase price to possible buyers. Also...
Quote:
He could be doing what others, including myself in the past, have done which is put your collection on Ebay at higher prices figuring if someone wants to buy it then fine they can have it at this price but I would rather keep it if no one is willing to pay the inflated price.
This. I really do like the card even though it is already for sale. I honestly would not mind one bit if the card sits for 2 years and doesn't sell. But if someone is willing to buy it then I'm certainly happy with selling.

Last edited by j_cook; 03-21-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Also, I think I pegged this board slightly wrong. I was looking for a place to find out more information about the hobby from other people that know what they're talking about (there are none where I live). I didn't realize people would be reading my posts and then starting threads based on my eBay listings. It's fine, though... I will just be more careful with what I post.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cook View Post
Lol! I will not be announcing any more cards that I plan to flip (which is a good majority of them.) I am kind of a noob to card forums, so please let me get a pass on this one... I def should not announce a recent purchase price to possible buyers. Also...

This. I really do like the card even though it is already for sale. I honestly would not mind one bit if the card sits for 2 years and doesn't sell. But if someone will pay a pretty penny for it then I'm certainly happy with selling.
Yes, you might be a bit more discreet in the future. Live and learn. And at your asking price, it won't be sitting for 2 yrs. I recommend you let your heirs know what to do with it.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Lol! I will not be announcing any more cards that I plan to flip (which is a good majority of them.) I am kind of a noob to card forums, so please let me get a pass on this one... I def should not announce a recent purchase price to possible buyers. Also...

This. I really do like the card even though it is already for sale. I honestly would not mind one bit if the card sits for 2 years and doesn't sell. But if someone will pay a pretty penny for it then I'm certainly happy with selling.
No problem here. I was just amused at how fast you made the turnaround.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Alex

Quote:
Also, I think I pegged this board slightly wrong. I was looking for a place to find out more information about the hobby from other people that know what they're talking about (there are none where I live). I didn't realize people would be reading my posts and then starting threads based on my eBay listings. It's fine, though... I will just be more careful with what I post.

It's a great place to learn. Don't let this experience get you too down.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I was looking for a place to find out more information about the hobby from other people that know what they're talking about
You have definitely found such a place. The members of Net54 collectively have an amazing amount of knowledge about this hobby.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
What you have to realize is that many in this hobby are obsessive. And that includes searching eBay multiple times a day. Nobody was monitoring you but, as Leon said, live and learn. Very little slips through the cracks here!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:49 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
LOL. Some people are just better sales guys. He sold you on why you should give it to him cheaper and then sold someone else on why he should pay more for it from him, and not you.

That takes skill man. Give him credit.

Kevin
No joke, Kevin. But it kind of sucked because I pulled the bats out of my personal collection and they had never been offered for sale in the past. I thought I was helping him out for his collection. Guess I was wrong. No more business with him!!

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 03-22-2014, 05:01 PM
James Wymer

If someone came to me and wanted a discount for their personal collection and then flip it quickly for big money that would bother me. To me anything short of that is fair game I do not care what someone does with the cards they buy from me I just hope they are happy with the purchases and buy more in the future. Buyers that are making money buy more.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 03-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
If someone came to me and wanted a discount for their personal collection and then flip it quickly for big money that would bother me. To me anything short of that is fair game I do not care what someone does with the cards they buy from me I just hope they are happy with the purchases and buy more in the future. Buyers that are making money buy more.

Agreed
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6