NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Bill Gregory

Default OT: Let's talk scanning software

I'm at my wits' end here, and could really use some advice.

We've talked at length before about what scanners we all use to capture our collection. I have a Canoscan E8400F, and it's served me well until now. But as I've started tinkering with how I scan, it seems I'm having to do a lot more work than needed to get accurate, color-balanced scans.

The Canoscan Toolbox software, which comes with the scanner, is obviously about 9 years old. It does a fair job, but when you start messing with scan mode (color, color magazine) and resolution (I used to do about 600 dpi, as I could save the larger pictures, then just crop down to share on the forum), there are inconsistencies in the scan quality. It directly exports the scan to Photoshop (I use CS2), which I like. But when I started comparing the scans of SGC slabbed cards to those everybody else was putting up, well, a lot of the other scans just looked better. So, I decided to try scanning directly from within Photoshop. Using file-import, and selecting my Canoscan, I could do a preview. Well, after the first pass, the picture looks great. It then does a second pass as the element moves back to square one, and it makes the preview much brighter. Now, I scan with the lid up, and in a room with ambient lighting. Not too light to where it should negatively affect the color balance, and not dark enough where I'll trip over my dog, or bust a toe on the corner of my bed.

Since I scan many varieties of cards, from pre-war and vintage to modern, I wanted some more consistency.

So, I've been looking around, and it seems that there's a lot of options for scanner software. Something that is going to offer better technology than the twain that comes with Photoshop CS 2. Since I'm not a professional, I don't want to drop a bundle on a new Photoshop. This should be sufficient.

But I'd love some input on what third party scanning software you all use. And any tips on using those scanning software would be appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Richard A.

This summer I bought a new computer. It came with Windows 7 and my old scanning software wouldn't install so I resorted to just using "Windows Fax and Scan" or whatever that built-in software is called. I've been quite happy with the results considering how simple it is to use. Scanning with the lid off and the lights off and I'm getting consistent scans that I'm happy with without much tinkering with settings.

If you're using Windows 7 or 8, the software is pretty consistent and easy to use. I honestly don't know if that program is available on earlier versions than 7, but like I said it's simple and does a decent job. If you already have it installed it's at least worth a try -- it'll save you money to spend on stuff to scan

Good luck!

Richard.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 PM
FredYoung

As I said in my PM, I've been using Irfanview for over 10 yrs now---quick, easy & you've seen my results.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
As I said in my PM, I've been using Irfanview for over 10 yrs now---quick, easy & you've seen my results.
Fred, that's right. I forgot that was freeware, so I'll give that a try.

Richard, my system has Vista 64 bit. I'm going to build a new desktop system at some point this year, and that will have 7 or 8.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Keep the answers coming, gang. Thank you!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I'm at my wits' end here, and could really use some advice.

....I scan with the lid up, and in a room with ambient lighting. Not too light to where it should negatively affect the color balance, and not dark enough where I'll.......bust a toe on the corner of my bed.

Bill
Bill,

Impressive. You have really gone hard core here...scanning from your bed.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Z Wheat
Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Bill Gregory

Well, my computer is in my bedroom. My bed has a steel construction frame. I've caught & broken my little toe on each foot at least once each on the bedpost. I'm such a klutz!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I scan from photoshop, found that to be the most efficient. Thru the end of the year adobe has a deal that you can sign up and pay 9.95 a month for the latest version of Photoshop and Lightroom and 20gb of cloud storage.

This is the process I use, it's simple, automated and consistent. Since it's so simple my son was able to do most of my scanning from about the age of 8. Takes a few minutes of one time setup and then anyone can do it, with a bit of oversight. Apologize if this is a bit techno geeky, but if you have photoshop it will make sense.

Lay 4 cards on the scanner bed, not touching. Set the live area to the full scan bed so you don't have to preview (takes too much time). Scan the 4 cards, pull them off, scan 4 more. After about 16 4-up scans close the scan module and save everything into a folder.
With photoshop you can create actions, which are scripts of tasks. It's super easy. I created an action that adjusts the brightness and contrast for each scan- the flip in the holder is generally consistent, so if you set that at the same amount of brightness (243 in photoshop, 255 being pure white but that is too pumped up) then each scan will be consistently the same. Add a touch of sharpening (in filter-sharpen-unsharp mask and a setting of about 110-1-4) and then include the command "crop and straighten photos". Save it to a folder and you're action is complete.
Running this action will adjust the contrast consistently, make the scan crisp and clear, and then crop each 4-up scan into individual images, cropped right to the edge of the holder. All automatically. Scan 40-50 cards, run the action, walk away for a few minutes, and come back with clean scans all ready to go.
Depending on the speed of your computer you can scan and prepare the files for about 160 slabs per hour.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Bill Gregory

Anthony, thanks for the heads up about the Photoshop special. That's a heck of a deal, and it makes smart business sense. Unfortunately, I just have CS 2, so I can't take advantage of it. I'm likely going to buy the latest version sometime this year, maybe when I build my new computer.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Pm sent.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, Sean. I will keep that scanner in mind should mine blow up. But I think I figured out what was going wrong with my Canoscan. When all else fails, reset the software settings to default (thereby removing stupidity, or user error, from the picture). My pictures are looking beautiful again, so I'm happy. A few scans from today:

My scanner is working again, the Badgers racked up 700 yards in a 51-3 win over Indiana, now all I need is a Packer win over the G-Men to make my weekend complete!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Every time I read the headline of this post I see "scamming" software instead of scanning software.

David