NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Scott S

Default Why are so many big auctions ending at once??

Forgive me if there's an obvious answer, but every year there are many major auctions ending in the same short time period.

Over the next couple of weeks, REA, Goodwin, Memory Lane, Heritage and I'm sure others I can't remember off the top of my head are all ending.

What is the logic behind this? Wouldn't these folks want to spread out their auctions so as not to end the same time as all of the others, and therefore you can get more attention focused on your specific auction? I would think prices might not go as high as they otherwise would, if the competition for the auction dollar was not so tough during this small window of time.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Jimmy

Default Why are so many big auctions ending at once??

Scott,

It’s been like that for the past 3 or 4 years, mainly because the competition has grown and the hobby is very active in the spring. This has really put a dent in the shows recently, because we use to have some great shows in the spring. Shows in the fall now seem to be the more active ones for us that we setup at. I remember when both times of the year were very equal. I also think it may have something to do with tax season as well!

Jimmy
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Forgive me if there's an obvious answer, but every year there are many major auctions ending in the same short time period.

Over the next couple of weeks, REA, Goodwin, Memory Lane, Heritage and I'm sure others I can't remember off the top of my head are all ending.

What is the logic behind this? Wouldn't these folks want to spread out their auctions so as not to end the same time as all of the others, and therefore you can get more attention focused on your specific auction? I would think prices might not go as high as they otherwise would, if the competition for the auction dollar was not so tough during this small window of time.

Lichtman gets his tax refund right about now.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
qualitycards

w/ the exception of REA, most auction houses run multiple auctions throughout the year.
And due to the glut of auction houses, they always seem to overlap.
Especially when Mastro had their 4 auctions annually.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Jim D

i think it has to do with the hype of the start of the season along with the fact alot of guys have tax returns, meaning a little extra cash.

if i were doing auctions i would have one now and one in late september when the playoffs are on, Christmas buying is starting.

Simple Marketing.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I doubt there's any coincidence in this. Auctioneers know everyone ( or most people) will be getting a tax refund soon. My bro and I are waiting for the Goodwin auction to end eagerly !
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Phil Garry

IMHO, the biggest difference between now and the other months of the year is primarily due to REA, which is a once a year event as previously mentioned. If REA was January, we would be saying the same thing about that time of year, etc.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Tony N.

Default Phil, I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
IMHO, the biggest difference between now and the other months of the year is primarily due to REA, which is a once a year event as previously mentioned. If REA was January, we would be saying the same thing about that time of year, etc.

Follow the leader.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Lichtman gets his tax refund right about now.
I haven't gotten a tax refund probably since 1992. Anytime I overpay for a year (which has happened once or twice in 19 years) it just gets applied to the first quarter of the new year. Ergo, this is the worst time of the year for me to buy cards, specifically Thursday. That being said, I suspect I'll turn the couch cushions over and find a few nickels to buy me some cards.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Jim VB

You do know I was kidding.

I don't recall a refund since AMT became an issue.